PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Josh Pastner - PonyDoh, your thoughts

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Josh Pastner - PonyDoh, your thoughts

Postby CalallenStang » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:13 pm

PonyDoh, I'd like to hear your thoughts on new Memphis coach Josh Pastner - what level of success will we see him reach?

I posted this in the public forum rather than PMed you because I think this will be of interest to the entire PonyFans community.
CalallenStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Josh Pastner - PonyDoh, your thoughts

Postby PonyDoh » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:46 am

Well, I've been a big Pastner fan for many years. He's tireless, very astute, and has a good grasp of Xs & Os. Obviously, he's very connected in the grassroots world, as his Dad is one of the biggest tournament promoters in America, and in Nike's back pocket. Actually earned a ship at UofA, but gave it back to make room for Loren Woods' transfer. That pretty much assured him of being a GA and moving up fast

Some of the bloom came off the rose towards the end of Lutes tenure. When he wasn't named HCIW by the zona AD, he was pissed, and the writing was on the wall. Left for Memphis, where many assumed he was waiting on the Houston vacancy. From academics on down, Houston is pretty much Memphis w/o the current success. Would have been a great hire, but now its the noose that's going to choke Penders out.

It was an absolute given that Pastner was going to clean up in recruiting. Everyone knew he'd be a dynamo on the trail, but people got caught up w/his age. We're going to see how he Xs and Os this year, but he won't really have to, much beyond '10. CUSA can't handle the types of classes he's prepared to load up.

B/c of his Dad, there is some question as to him being clean. Those that know him, think he's chock full of integrity, but the rumors have been around since he was early 20s.

Funny story about Josh. When he started/coached AAU flagship, Houston Hoops, he was roughly 15 or 16 y/o coaching the 17s team. Anyway, one of his first decisions was to recruit more talent for the program. His first stop was Stephen Jackson's house, where Pastner sat down and sold adults/parents that he was the kid to coach their kid. Rest is history, so he was a closer of elite players as a teenager
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CalallenStang » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:07 pm

Thanks for your thoughts. His recruiting ability really scares me. I didn't know much about him other than the fact that he coached with Lute at AZ and that his dad is big time in the AAU world.
CalallenStang

Postby ponyscott » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:13 pm

Thats amazing info about him..at 15 years old he was coaching guys older than him at AAU ball? his recruiting class this year is top notch and will continue the legacy of Memphis. I mean 6 boys in the top 100 in his first year?....c'mon
ponyscott

Return to Basketball