PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

When will we expect wins in Men’s Basketball?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: When will we expect wins in Men’s Basketball?

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:06 pm

yea, turning the reigns over like you describe it is damn extreme i admit, but only something extreme is going to shake this up and get it going in the right direction for a floundering fourth year coach. He can always tighten things back up. Its not like Dement who sold out some of his control from the get go to help get Sasser and Davis in here. These players don't look like they are "owning" their personal or collective performances right now. Yes, they care and want to win, but having real pride as a team is what wins.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mestengo » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:58 am

How does all this translate to 42% free thows. When I go to life time I can hit 50% and I can't shoot!
Give me back all of the missed free throws = win. That would be some place to start.
Mestengo
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:28 pm

Don't look now, but we are in our usual spot at the bottom of CUSA . I haven't checked everyone else's schedules, but we haven't even left Moody yet. We REALLY need to beat Texas State and I see we scheduled them home/home (which begs the question...why TX State and not TCU if you are going to schedule home/home in the non-conference?) Honestly, if we are having trouble getting teams to come to Moody, why not schedule home/home with TCU and UNT?

Conference USA
Team Conf. W-L
UTEP 0-0 5-0
UAB 0-0 8-1
Tulsa 0-0 6-1
UCF 0-0 6-1
Marshall 0-0 5-1
Memphis 0-0 5-1
So Miss 0-0 5-1
Houston 0-0 3-2
Rice 0-0 4-4
E Carolina 0-0 4-5
Tulane 0-0 3-4
SMU 0-0 2-3

Anyways...back to the question. I don't see us winning this season. I'm looking at an ugly Hawaii trip (UNLV might destroy us in the opener) and probably 7-7 in the non-conference, thanks to the heavy home schedule. Unless we see HUGE improvement before we hit conference play, this team might do well to win a total of 10 games this year (yes, I could see us going 3-13 in CUSA play)
Charleston Pony

Postby PonyDoh » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:07 pm

If this team takes care of the cupcakes, and plays well in Hawaii, I'll take my chances in a crappy CUSA. I just haven't seen much to indicate the cupcakes are actual gimmes
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:10 pm

my concern in CUSA play is that right now, it looks like we could get swept by Memphis, Houston, Tulsa and UTEP...and have to hope we can beat Rice and Tulane at Moody. These guys really need to show me something in Hawaii to change my outlook.
Charleston Pony

Postby Pony_Fan » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:24 am

Charleston Pony wrote:my concern in CUSA play is that right now, it looks like we could get swept by Memphis, Houston, Tulsa and UTEP...and have to hope we can beat Rice and Tulane at Moody. These guys really need to show me something in Hawaii to change my outlook.

All those teams should sweep us. UTEP has a nice OOC schedule with OU, TTech, BYU, and Ole Miss. Tulsa should make the dance w/out any injuries.

With the current sloppy play, no defense, FT's, and 3 pointer %, I only see 4-5 Conf wins and if we are lucky 10 wins overall. Then everyone gets their wish on this board.
Pony_Fan

Previous

Return to Basketball