PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU Men v. Texas State

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU Men v. Texas State

Postby Eye In the Sky » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:52 am

It was refreshing to see them shoot the ball well for once. Nice to see Rob break out and hit several threes. Maybe Doh will ease up on him now.

Mike Walker even made the most of his limited time by hitting a few bombs. A friend made the comment that Walker may have just said "screw it" when he came in and started launching threes. He finally got into the game. He was gonna make the most of it.

Still don't know what to think about McCoy. He just doesn't look right. He even had problems handling the ball when they pressured him.

Glad we got the win but not terribly encouraged. If we weren't so hot in the 1st half, I'm not sure we would have gotten the W. I think the result will be different when we play down there in a month or so.
Eye In the Sky
Junior Varsity

Postby Hal » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:56 am

mustangxc wrote:At this point all I care about is the final score and fortunately we won!!!

Quit screwing up the complaints with actual logic.
Hal
Varsity

Postby PonyDoh » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:03 am

Patton, I'm not sure what's up w/Luttman, but anytime you hear about Otis' knees, it's legit. He's been robo-mook since his soph year of high school. He's lost a ton of lift b/c the injuries, so I imagine the season/practice grinds them up pretty good.

As for the game, I think many of you are making it to be closer then it was. I watched, listened, and had gamecast going. We pretty much dominated that game, minus the late stretch where we were short-handed. Texas St gets destroyed last night w/Myles and Mook. Not to mention Mook would have flourished in the full court game.
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby George S. Patton » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:56 am

They just need to run and jack and run and jack and Paul Westhead it out to at least make them entertaining even though they may not win a lot. But maybe they can't do it if their conditioning is as suspect as several think it is.

I guess the law of averages caught up and they nailed some threes. They were due. Actually, I liked who was on the floor. Just sub Otis for Harp and mix in Luttman more and your fine if their injuries are not problematic.
George S. Patton

Postby RGV Pony » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:14 am

George S. Patton wrote:They just need to run and jack and run and jack and Paul Westhead it out to at least make them entertaining even though they may not win a lot. But maybe they can't do it if their conditioning is as suspect as several think it is.

I guess the law of averages caught up and they nailed some threes. They were due. Actually, I liked who was on the floor. Just sub Otis for Harp and mix in Luttman more and your fine if their injuries are not problematic.

agree. Like [deleted] Motta's last run w/ the Mavs, which segued nicely to Nellie
RGV Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby MustangIcon » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:25 pm

I did not get to see the first half last night, so I missed our best offensive half in lord only knows how long. Watching the second half though, it wasn't as bad as everyone is making it out to be. We won by 8. We led by as much as 21. You would think from reading this board we got run right out of our own gym.

My 2 negative takeaways are things that have been fairly consistent in the Doherty tenure.
1. We come out dead to start the 2nd half far to often for my tastes.
2. ANYTIME we have a lead, Doherty forces SMU to completely take the air out of the ball and teams come back on us. We generally hold on, which is the point, but don't expect it to look pretty. Not what the team is built for. I think Doherty is too conservative when we are up in the second half and it isn't just this season.
MustangIcon
Hall of Famer

Postby papawasamustang » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:28 pm

1.I was very encouraged about the uptempo style & point production. Really hope it continues.
2.Glad to see RN healthy & contributing.
3. DW is the most underrated player on the team. The kid was very solid last season & probably our best player so far this year.
4. Only 1 of 7 from 3 pt in the 2nd half. No need to slow down or ease up. Did this come from the bench? Kinda like a prevent D in football. Prevents you from winning.

Although I thought we would be 5-1 right now, 3-3 is better than 2-4.
"We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors."
papawasamustang
Heisman

Postby MustangIcon » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:39 pm

papawasamustang wrote:1.I was very encouraged about the uptempo style & point production. Really hope it continues.
2.Glad to see RN healthy & contributing.
3. DW is the most underrated player on the team. The kid was very solid last season & probably our best player so far this year.
4. Only 1 of 7 from 3 pt in the 2nd half. No need to slow down or ease up. Did this come from the bench? Kinda like a prevent D in football. Prevents you from winning.

Although I thought we would be 5-1 right now, 3-3 is better than 2-4.

1. AGree
2. Doherty said in his postgame conference that RN is actually only 75%ish right now. If that's true, I hope this 12 day break gets him back to 100% then we can really see what he can do.
3. I don't think he is underrated. I think he is a damn good player and I think most here realize that. Even if you compare his performance last year to McCoy's, his was just as good or pretty darn close, but he was a Jr. rather than Fr., which is why McCoy's was so impressive.
4. Yes that comes from the bench. Doherty always goes into slowdown mode with a lead. You are right that it is exactly like a prevent D. Playing not to lose.

I figured we would be 4-2 and thought there was an ever so slight chance at 5-1 if we could have taken one of the first 2 (I expected to beat TCU). 3-3 is dissappointing.
MustangIcon
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:04 pm

the up tempo game was fun to watch and the guys were playing more instinctively, which needs to happen for this team to reach it's potential. McCoy was actually looking like a PG in that 1st half, running the court and dishing to guys for wide open looks. Our bigs are soft in the low post, but look good in a more wide open, fast pace game as they are a pretty athletic group. I agree with the comment that Mook would flourish in this up tempo, too
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Previous

Return to Basketball