PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Ponies, Frogs clash Wednesday at Moody

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Ponies, Frogs clash Wednesday at Moody

Postby CalallenStang » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:46 am

ponyscott wrote:
CalallenStang wrote:2nd half we couldn't buy a basket or a call from the officials. Rhonda got a T. Got blown out.

Thanks and I just heard the interview just now with Rhonda on SMUMustangs.com....sounds like she was real disappointed with the effort of the girls tonight. No switching on D, no leadership from the seniors, couldn't penetrate the TCU Zone or their sagging man d either, etc.

It wasn't our greatest night for sure but it's not like we weren't creating shot opportunities - we were simply missing them. I had never seen a layup missed as badly as one we shot in the second half tonight.

The few times that we did put the ball in the hoop the refs would take the points off of the board for a phantom foul, though. Rhonda was extraordinarily upset with the refs. She was going Doh-style on them at one point (and got a T).
CalallenStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby George S. Patton » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:15 am

But she wasn't embarrassed being the head coach of this team, right? Another SMU coach, who will remain nameless, was embarassed being the head of his team.
George S. Patton

Postby Corp » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:44 am

Frogs 84 - Ponies 66

Ouch!
Corp
Varsity

Postby therack » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:54 am

honestly, the ladies lost a game at the start of the second half as we start the game 2-7 from the field while tcu started 7-7 (including 1-1) from the 3's... Overall, we got beat on the boards pretty bad the entire game and turn the ball over way too much to beat a good team like tcu... I didn't think the foul calling was as bad as some of you think... It wasn't great or anything but it was about the same for both teams...
therack
Junior Varsity

Postby ponyscott » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:20 am

George S. Patton wrote:But she wasn't embarrassed being the head coach of this team, right? Another SMU coach, who will remain nameless, was embarassed being the head of his team.

No she handled it cool as she was just disaapointed in their recent efforts and she doesn't sound like she is not in control of these girls, just looking for them to step up more. She is a cool customer and knows her game and her kids. She seems like she lets the girls play the game and doesn't 'over coach' as the other BBall coach tends to do.

The other coach has been heard saying/complaining to people not involved with SMU that he is not getting the right support from the AD etc. There are some rumblings going on behind the scenes methinks....
ponyscott

Postby CalallenStang » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:56 am

I thought the T call from the officials came rather quick. What amazed me after that was the TCU coach ran onto the court and got into an official's face and there was no T called.
CalallenStang

Postby RGV Pony » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:44 pm

CalallenStang wrote:I thought the T call from the officials came rather quick. What amazed me after that was the TCU coach ran onto the court and got into an official's face and there was no T called.

no chance Rhonda 'told' the officials to T her up to light a fire under her girls?
RGV Pony

Postby CalallenStang » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:20 pm

RGV Pony wrote:
CalallenStang wrote:I thought the T call from the officials came rather quick. What amazed me after that was the TCU coach ran onto the court and got into an official's face and there was no T called.

no chance Rhonda 'told' the officials to T her up to light a fire under her girls?

I really don't think so. Rhonda had a legitimate beef with a missed call that had followed a string of missed calls right in front of her, and it seemed like she wanted to make her presence known to the officials. The officials didn't much care for that.

And if Rhonda did do it to "light a fire," it certainly didn't work.
CalallenStang

Postby Peruna88 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:29 pm

Our rebounding was terrible. Outrebounded by North Texas last week also, but our shots went in.

Problem with the officials, in my opinion, was that they called the game differently from the 1st to the 2nd half. Alice picked up 2 quick fouls in the first 5 minutes, then they let a LOT more go on in the 2nd. Rhonda wanted an obvious hand check called and that's when she got the T. Minutes later, JB gets called on the other end on a very marginal hand check. Made the non-call even worse.

As with last year, I was very impressed with the frogs Emily Carter.

Ladies need to regroup after last night. I have a feeling they will be at Crum about 6 am the next few days.
Peruna88
All-American

Postby George S. Patton » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:32 pm

ponyscott wrote:
George S. Patton wrote:But she wasn't embarrassed being the head coach of this team, right? Another SMU coach, who will remain nameless, was embarassed being the head of his team.

No she handled it cool as she was just disaapointed in their recent efforts and she doesn't sound like she is not in control of these girls, just looking for them to step up more. She is a cool customer and knows her game and her kids. She seems like she lets the girls play the game and doesn't 'over coach' as the other BBall coach tends to do.

The other coach has been heard saying/complaining to people not involved with SMU that he is not getting the right support from the AD etc. There are some rumblings going on behind the scenes methinks....

The fall of the house of Doherty. Anyway, disappointing from the Ladies. Maybe a way to get their attention for the big picture of CUSA. We have that big road trip to Utah so that will be tough but they can handle it. I would like to know what others think about the loss of DWills. Since we're about a month into the season, do they feel like we're missing in certain areas? We're not missing her? Thanks in advance.

Go Mustangs.
George S. Patton

Postby Casey » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:59 pm

Of course she's missed — from what I saw last year (5-6 games), she was the best player on the team. You can't take away a team's best player and not feel it.
Once a Mustang, ALWAYS a Mustang!
Casey
All-American

Postby CalallenStang » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:04 pm

Peruna88 wrote:Our rebounding was terrible. Outrebounded by North Texas last week also, but our shots went in.

Problem with the officials, in my opinion, was that they called the game differently from the 1st to the 2nd half. Alice picked up 2 quick fouls in the first 5 minutes, then they let a LOT more go on in the 2nd. Rhonda wanted an obvious hand check called and that's when she got the T. Minutes later, JB gets called on the other end on a very marginal hand check. Made the non-call even worse.

As with last year, I was very impressed with the frogs Emily Carter.

Ladies need to regroup after last night. I have a feeling they will be at Crum about 6 am the next few days.

You and I must have been watching the same game, as I agree with all that you wrote.
CalallenStang

Postby Peruna88 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:39 pm

Talked to my brother about the game today and he made a good point. Reminded him of the UCF game they lost in the conference tournament last year. Another very physical team, like tcu, and we wilted when they got physical.
Peruna88
All-American

Previous

Return to Basketball