PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Roy Williams kicks out fan at the Dean Dome

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Roy Williams kicks out fan at the Dean Dome

Postby smupony94 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:15 pm

Roy Williams kicks out heckling fan at the Dean Dome

By Chris Chase

With six minutes to go in North Carolina's blowout win over Presbyterian yesterday at The Dean Dome, Roy Williams instructed security personnel to eject a fan who had heckled the Heels' Deon Thompson during a free throw attempt. The man, wearing a Presbyterian shirt and sitting a few rows behind the Carolina bench, yelled "hey Deon, don't miss it!" during the second free throw, which caused Williams to turn around, exchange some words and, eventually, point him out to security. WRAL has video of the incident.

Drunk, profane fans are a menace at games, but there's no indication the ejected party was either of those things. "Hey Deon, don't miss it," is about as tame a taunt as there gets in a college basketball arena. That may be the nicest heckle Deon Thompson hears all season. When the Tar Heels go play at Duke, such a statement might be considered a compliment.

When asked about the move after the game, Williams said:

"I don't think anybody should yell anything negative at our players. Period. Let's don't make it a bigger thing than it is. But I just don't think anybody should yell negative things toward our players (when) you come in on our tickets to watch our game."

Let's not make it a bigger thing than it is? That's easy to say after Roy himself made it a bigger thing by having some cops grab a guy who was rooting for his team in an acceptable (if slightly obnoxious) manner. If the other people sitting around the Presbyterian fan were offended, they could have gone to security themselves. What's a two-time national championship coach doing worrying about what some guy from a tiny little school is saying in a game that his team would end up winning by 39? Isn't this a little beneath Roy Williams?

Because Roy is normally such an affable guy and this came in a meaningless game in the middle of December, there won't be much criticism lobbed his way. There should be. It was inappropriate for Williams to censor a fan that wasn't breaking any rules. He overstepped his bounds and should be embarrassed about his actions.

Dan Wiederer makes a good point on his blog The Fast Break: If Mike Krzyzewski had ejected a heckler at Cameron Indoor can you imagine what the public outcry would have been? We'd be comparing him to Kim-Jong Il. When good ol' Roy does it, it's folky and home-spun and protective of his players.

It's a little thing and, in the long run, not a big deal. On most nights, Roy Williams is as classy a man as there is in college basketball. Saturday, as we all do sometimes, he slipped up.
smupony94
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Roy Williams kicks out fan at the Dean Dome

Postby RGV Pony » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:36 pm

"came in on our tickets"....were they player passes or school comps? If so, I could maybe see where WIlliams is coming from. Still don't like him. Can't wait to see how much fun is had with this when the 'Holes go to Cameron.
Last edited by RGV Pony on Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RGV Pony

Postby abezontar » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:40 pm

I hate Roy Williams so much.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyDoh » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:46 pm

Cameron is tame compared to Maryland. Just a bunch of dorks yelling wannabe witty garbage. Terp fans are like Philly fans, no class
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Junior » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:36 pm

At least Roy wasn't crying like Tebow. But that would be funny.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby Duke Blue Blood » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:44 am

Cameron is the original and the best. Been to them all. Agreed students are becoming more dorky, thus long-term we could have issues.
Duke Blue Blood
Heisman

Postby smu diamond m » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:36 am

Roy would've not kicked me out, but would've kicked my [deleted]
Sir, shooting-star, sir.
Frosh 2005 (TEN YEARS AGO!?!)
The original Heavy Metal.
smu diamond m
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyDoh » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:57 pm

Duke Blue Blood wrote:Cameron is the original and the best. Been to them all. Agreed students are becoming more dorky, thus long-term we could have issues.

Cameron is chock full'o'dork. They actually use cheer sheets, There is no actual venom, just goofball hijinks. At Maryland, they'll pelt you w/foreign objects, see Mrs Boozer. The difference is mentality. Duke fans go to watch their team and cheer. Maryland fans go to hate on the other team, lol
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:39 pm

Sounds like when Elaine was kicked out of the owners box at Yankee Stadium for wearing a Oriole cap.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby smupony94 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:53 pm

mrydel wrote:Sounds like when Elaine was kicked out of the owners box at Yankee Stadium for wearing a Oriole cap.

I don't like her new show
smupony94

Postby Junior » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:53 pm

You can get kicked out for cheering for the other team.

Seems kinda lame.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Return to Basketball