PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

could we, would we(want to)... Bob Knight

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

could we, would we(want to)... Bob Knight

Postby davidpaul123 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:45 pm

Would he be interested? Would we want him or is he done?
davidpaul123
Heisman

Re: could we, would we(want to)... Bob Knight

Postby RGV Pony » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:47 pm

only way that would happen would be if he was a buddy of JJ and JJ worked his magic. Otherwise, no way. Dallas has nothing Coach Knight wants. He's never lived in a large city, has he?
RGV Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangdm » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:49 pm

Retired and doing the ESPN commentator thing. I don't see it happening, though it would be awesome.
mustangdm
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyDoh » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:31 pm

great coach, awful recruiter. Give me someone young and slick.
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby George S. Patton » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:41 pm

I love him but because he has locked horns with the AAUs over the years and pretty much been frozen out, it wouldn't work. I think the best coach in my lifetime is done coaching.
George S. Patton

Postby Eye In the Sky » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:03 am

I used to be completely anti-Bob Knight, but have come around on him lately. He can flat-out coach, no matter what kind of talent he has. I wouldn't be against him coming to SMU but think there's about a 0% chance of it happening.

In the meantime, I don't mind listening to him analyze games in ESPN. He's way better that I thought. He actually analyzes the game...unlike that babbling idiot [deleted] Vitale. I really wish Dickie V would go away.
Eye In the Sky
Junior Varsity

Postby ibezu2 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:00 pm

Bobby Knight and SMU...water and oil.
ibezu2
Recruit

Postby mustangklick » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:32 am

Eye In the Sky wrote:I used to be completely anti-Bob Knight, but have come around on him lately. He can flat-out coach, no matter what kind of talent he has. I wouldn't be against him coming to SMU but think there's about a 0% chance of it happening.

In the meantime, I don't mind listening to him analyze games in ESPN. He's way better that I thought. He actually analyzes the game...unlike that babbling idiot [deleted] Vitale. I really wish Dickie V would go away.

The best few months of my life were when [deleted] Vitale had throat surgery and couldn't talk.

I agree about Bob Knight, I love how he breaks down the offense/defense/game plan.
mustangklick
Junior Varsity

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:39 am

I can't stand Bob Knight, he's a freak show.
Pony_Fan

Postby Oliver » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:40 pm

bob knight is a classic good old fashioned coach, but i really think we need someone with some youth, positive high energy guy, that can really get kids excited to come here.

As long as we're talking ESPN analysts, one guy I'm pleasantly surprised hasnt come up is Steve Lavin. Coming from a UCLA family, there's nothing positive i really have to say about him, but I wonder what other impressions are of him. I'll say this though, he's not a great coach, but probably the type of guy (younger, kinda slick, can recruit, big name) that we should be looking at imo.
#GodFather #Tempo
Oliver
All-American

Postby davidpaul123 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:24 pm

Oliver wrote:bob knight is a classic good old fashioned coach, but i really think we need someone with some youth, positive high energy guy, that can really get kids excited to come here.

As long as we're talking ESPN analysts, one guy I'm pleasantly surprised hasnt come up is Steve Lavin. Coming from a UCLA family, there's nothing positive i really have to say about him, but I wonder what other impressions are of him. I'll say this though, he's not a great coach, but probably the type of guy (younger, kinda slick, can recruit, big name) that we should be looking at imo.

thats the thing about basketball recruiting, if you want to be any good at it you have to be "kinda slick".
davidpaul123
Heisman

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:55 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZD1vkzYmyI

Bob Knight is a loser in my book
Pony_Fan

Postby Junior » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:51 pm

It would definitely get me more interested in SMU basketball. I've always liked him.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby PonyDoh » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:44 pm

lol at knight calling calipari out. May be true, but it's also why you can't have a coach like knight anymore. He's out of touch w/the whole industry other then being a practice/bench coach, and doing TV color. He's an epic fail as a recruiter
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Oliver » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:57 pm

Pony_Fan wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZD1vkzYmyI

Bob Knight is a loser in my book

that is one of the all time great youtube videos though...I can't help but love the guy, but no he's too out of touch for today's college basketball
#GodFather #Tempo
Oliver
All-American

Return to Basketball