PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Here's a fresh thought....

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Here's a fresh thought....

Postby George S. Patton » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:39 am

We have 135 assists for the season (10.4 per game) and 180 turnovers for the season (13.9).

Would that be considered a really good assists-to-turnovers ratio for any basketball program?

Far be it from me to offer further basketball commentary because I don't know the game like of the self-proclaimed experts do on this board.
George S. Patton

Re: Here's a fresh thought....

Postby therack » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:47 am

a really good assit-to-turnover ratio for basketball program is considered to be 2-to-1.
therack
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyDoh » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:54 am

it's the very worst part of this team, and has been for years. Need PGs, not lead guards
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyscott » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:31 pm

The three signed recruits don't include a real bonifide PG...Is there one on the horizon that will sign as a true PG?
ponyscott
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:09 pm

it's not just the lack of a true PG. There are plenty of PGs in D-1 ball who can deliver a 2:1 ratio. We definitely need a PG, but our low post guys kill us with turnovers. They play really soft at times. Dia is showing signs of improvement and Otis would benefit from more minutes, but I'd like to see the low post guys catch and go hard to the hoop better than they currently show
Charleston Pony

Postby PonyDoh » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:26 pm

ponyscott wrote:The three signed recruits don't include a real bonifide PG...Is there one on the horizon that will sign as a true PG?

I'd be shocked if we don't sign a PG this Spring, but we're currently out of ships. Attrition will happen. '10 will be a 4 or 5 man class and quite good. '11 looks to be better. This program won't be w/o talent for very long, just need a few results. We're finally turning this roster for the better.

Kids like Vilde and Smith will really help around the hoop, but especially stepping out and facing. If UTEP sags on those kids, like they did on Otis, we'll knock down jumper after jumper.
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyscott » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:00 pm

PonyDoh wrote:
ponyscott wrote:The three signed recruits don't include a real bonifide PG...Is there one on the horizon that will sign as a true PG?

I'd be shocked if we don't sign a PG this Spring, but we're currently out of ships. Attrition will happen. '10 will be a 4 or 5 man class and quite good. '11 looks to be better. This program won't be w/o talent for very long, just need a few results. We're finally turning this roster for the better.

Kids like Vilde and Smith will really help around the hoop, but especially stepping out and facing. If UTEP sags on those kids, like they did on Otis, we'll knock down jumper after jumper.

Thanks for the reponse. I am excited about the potential of the '10 recruits and see two strong PF types that can face up shoot from 18 feet in and play around the basket with skills. Just seems we need to sign a true pg that looks to pass first...and often.
ponyscott

Return to Basketball