PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

PonyDoh: Give us a primer

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: PonyDoh: Give us a primer

Postby PonyDoh » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:17 pm

lwjr wrote:PonyDoh,
WOW, this is incredible information. So, one of your points is, even though a university is paying the BBall coach, like a coach K, he might be making six figures from a shoe company as well? Next point, if you want to recruit the best kids to your school you need to really get to know the HS coaches, the club coaches and the shoe people. Am I understanding that correctly?

Your comments about Orsini make a little more sense to me. I think you were not dumping on him only that he does not understand the college hoop scene as much as he needs to. That is why you were suggesting for SMU's next coach search, he would be better off hiring a firm to aid in the process.[/quote]

Well, I'm very grateful for what he did for football w/the hire of JJ. Every AD has their revenue of choice, and that's understandable, but football in linear by comparison to hoops. You can take a huge chunk of change and court high end coaches, and see what they say. In hoops, there are so many other considerations, that unless you know the lay of the land, you trip a land-mine. Orsini has done this countless times just in & around the Doh hire w/o getting into embarrassing specifics. He's already proven he doesn't 'get it' in hoops, so I'm not trying to be [deleted] him, as much as I'd like to see him avoid making the same mistakes more then once. No matter how much knowledge he acquires on the subject in a short time, he needs the help of industry professionals.
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: PonyDoh: Give us a primer

Postby RGV Pony » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:27 pm

PonyDoh wrote: he needs the help of industry professionals.

who are the top 5 "industry professionals" in a position to help?
RGV Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Previous

Return to Basketball