PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

If Doherty finishes last again in C-USA

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

If Doherty finishes last again in C-USA

Postby BRStang » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:11 am

I have to think a change will be made after this season if we finish last again in C-USA. I am not a day-to-day follower of SMU basketball (although I'd like to be...it's just hard when we LOSE SO PATHETICALLY), but it seems Orsini cannot allow SMU basketball to go any lower...not that there is much lower to go. We are the pits, and another year for Doherty is only going to lose even more of the few faithful that are still attend games regularly.

I know Orsini cares about SMU Bball. I see him there every time I attend an SMU bball game (2-3 times a year). I am also traveling to Dallas this weekend to see them play UAB and take in a Mavs game, and I expect to see him there again. What could possibly be going through his mind when he watches the terd we lay on the court game after game OTHER THAN "Doherty has got to go"? How can he make the push that he did for football and June Jones and then continue to watch basketball fall lower than when he came to SMU?

How, in good conscience, can Orsini afford not to at least recommend that he be replaced? Put aside finishing last again in C-USA, what if we don't even win a single conference game? What then? That looks like a real possibility. I have to think he will be gone. Right? I mean, right?
Geaux MUSTANGS! Geaux Tigers!
BRStang
Hall of Famer

Re: If Doherty finishes last again in C-USA

Postby PonyDoh » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:28 am

He's getting through next year, almost positive of that. We stink, but we're actually better then a few in CUSA, so we'll see.
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyscott » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:54 am

I respectfully disagree that they will have to keep Doh even with his contact as the fan/donor pressure will be way, way to great if they finish last in C-USA. It's heating up now on all the boards and with the tough Conference schedule coming up they could go down and not be able to come up. With McCoy basically MIA, who will step up?
I agree the three recruits will be huge and they would actually fit in better to the new match-up zone defense and the half court set offense Doh is running and if there was any way to actually get the Las Vegas PG kid to sign here then maybe, just maybe we could stomach the rest of the year with Doh at the helm and give him an ultimatum for next year with the strong class coming in. But the heat is on........
ponyscott
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:52 pm

PonyDoh wrote:He's getting through next year, almost positive of that. We stink, but we're actually better than a few in CUSA, so we'll see.

What would make anything different next year? Hire new assistants (again)? Play freshmen?
The head coach is not going to change, so it make sense to change the head coach.
Bergermeister

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:06 pm

we are going to have some good competition for that last place finish this year. Looks like there are 3-4 REALLY bad teams in CUSA this year.
Charleston Pony

Postby ontheedgeofmyseat » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:40 pm

$$$ to buy out Doh?
ontheedgeofmyseat
Heisman

Postby RGV Pony » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:45 pm

there is none, so to get rid of him would cost however much his salary is.
RGV Pony

Postby Lefty » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:53 pm

Which is exactly why no change will be made — SMU won't pay two coaches.
Lefty
All-American

Postby angryfan04 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:17 pm

unless one them is black; that guy only gets 2 years
angryfan04
Varsity

Postby Pony_Fan » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:42 pm

Men's Basketball Head Coach Matt Doherty is the third highest paid employee at SMU with total compensation coming to $546,229.
Pony_Fan

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:20 pm

angryfan04 wrote:unless one them is black; that guy only gets 2 years

That was 2 too many.
Bergermeister

Postby PonyDoh » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:43 pm

lol, that made me laugh. Too bad it killed Jimmy.
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Balatro Diabolus Ex » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:57 pm

Bergermeister wrote:

That was 2 too many.

Uhuh. Because we've been doing so much better ever since, right?

I've always wondered, what did Jimmy Tubbs do to you, that made you dislike him to this degree? It had to be something very personal for you to continue disparaging a man after he's dead, particularly when he actually did a better job than the overhyped maniac that succeeded him. What was it about Jimmy that you disliked so strongly?
Balatro Diabolus Ex
All-American

Return to Basketball