PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU-UAB

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU-UAB

Postby Pony_Fan » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:42 am

ponyscott wrote:
PonyDoh wrote:
Pony_Fan wrote:DW basically plays the entire game every game. Where would we be w/out him...Who is playing point next year? we obviously have some issues with ball handling.

ten million dollar question. Neither Pats or McCoy can handle it

If there is ANY way they can get the kid out of Vegas to sign with us at PG...he would play right away and looks pretty heady with great leadership skills and toughness.

looks like a very remote chance based on offers
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyscott » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:50 am

ten million dollar question. Neither Pats or McCoy can handle it[/quote]

If there is ANY way they can get the kid out of Vegas to sign with us at PG...he would play right away and looks pretty heady with great leadership skills and toughness.[/quote]

looks like a very remote chance based on offers[/quote]

Maybe with a coaching change he signs with us......I know, I know....just wishfull thinking today.
ponyscott

Postby PonyDoh » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:23 pm

His best offer in hoops is SMU. No idea what you guys are talking about. he could care less about football
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony_Fan » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:43 pm

PonyDoh wrote:His best offer in hoops is SMU. No idea what you guys are talking about. he could care less about football
-- that would be great, looks like some nice interest from many others. We need a PG!
Pony_Fan

Postby ponyscott » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:05 pm

ten million dollar question. Neither Pats or McCoy can handle it[/quote]

If there is ANY way they can get the kid out of Vegas to sign with us at PG...he would play right away and looks pretty heady with great leadership skills and toughness.[/quote]

shhhhhhhhh, premium info....lol[/quote]

Oh I know, if anyone wants any info other than a general comment, they can sign up and get whats out there detail-wise. Mums the word.....LOL
ponyscott

Postby CA Mustang » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:19 pm

redpony wrote:He is one big liar. I recall an interview some time back where he basically said that if we weren't .500 in bball that it would be unacceptable and changes would be made. Not happening.

Maybe he meant .500 when you combine the record of both baskeball teams? :P

redpony wrote:I am beginning to think we need to start thinking about a different AD. He has hired 5 coaches. Three are total failures( bball, men's soccer and women's soccer), one is undecided- tennis and one looks like true winner-fball. How long would you keep an employee that was correct 20% of the time and refuses to change his mistakes??

Wow, you want to judge an AD in less time than you are giving the coaches he hires? So if the teams aren't winning within two seasons, then the decision on the coach was a mistake? What AD can turn multiple programs around that quickly?
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby redpony » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:02 pm

[quote="CA Mustang Wow, you want to judge an AD in less time than you are giving the coaches he hires? So if the teams aren't winning within two seasons, then the decision on the coach was a mistake? What AD can turn multiple programs around that quickly?[/quote]

Hope you didn't attend SMU and major in math. SO is starting his 4th year here (not two seasons). Doh is starting his 4th season here (not his second season). SE has completed two miserable years and TMc one (plus numerous seasons as the assistant coach). I don't think it is unreasonable to expect a showing of substantial progress in two years. Proof? look at JJ and the fball program.

Doh must win 9 of the next 14 games just to get to .500. If I were a betting person I don't think I would bet on that happening. Obviously Doh and SE are failures. TMc took a program that was an annual national power and trashed it so bad we were one of the poorest in CUSA. Do those look like successful 'top 25' programs to you?
Like most alums, I do not expect us to go undefeated but I do expect results that are far less than embarrassing. SO has shown no propensity to correct these situations and turn them into the 'top 25' as promised.

GO PONIES!!!
redpony

Postby CA Mustang » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:12 am

redpony wrote:SO is starting his 4th year here (not two seasons). Doh is starting his 4th season here (not his second season). SE has completed two miserable years and TMc one (plus numerous seasons as the assistant coach).

Yes, I know how long everyone has been in place. The two seasons comment was regarding the football and soccer programs, which you referenced when discussing SO overall.

redpony wrote:Doh must win 9 of the next 14 games just to get to .500. If I were a betting person I don't think I would bet on that happening.

Lighten up, the comment about combining the W/L records of the two programs was a joke. If my math skills are fair game, so is your sense of humor (or lack thereof).

redpony wrote:Obviously Doh and SE are failures. TMc took a program that was an annual national power and trashed it so bad we were one of the poorest in CUSA. Do those look like successful 'top 25' programs to you?... SO has shown no propensity to correct these situations and turn them into the 'top 25' as promised.

I did not buy the top 25 slogan either then or now. Reaching that goal requires a significant level of resources and commitment that even the largest schools have a hard time achieving.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby redpony » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:48 am

[quote="CA Mustang Lighten up, the comment about combining the W/L records of the two programs was a joke. If my math skills are fair game, so is your sense of humor (or lack thereof).
[/quote]

I suspect that my sense of humor is much greater than your math skills (and mine as well). :lol:

GO PONIES!!!
redpony

Postby mr. pony » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:41 am

Doherty after TCU loss, eleven games ago:
“ … and I don’t think you’re going to see [another] game where [guard] Paul McCoy is 0-4 and doesn’t score.”

:shock: oops.
(last two games, McCoy: 0-5 from field, 8 FTs.)
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyDoh » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:09 am

mr. pony wrote:Doherty after TCU loss, eleven games ago:
“ … and I don’t think you’re going to see [another] game where [guard] Paul McCoy is 0-4 and doesn’t score.”

there are reasons for this, we should lay off McCoy for a minute
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby BRStang » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:03 pm

Just got back from Dallas and witnessed my 3rd and last SMU bball game this season. WTF was THAT???? What a dominating performance for 2/3 of the game only to be followed by a complete meltdown unlike I've ever seen.

I noticed that when we were in "domination mode" the team looked like they were loose and having fun. It's almost like they suddenly realized, "Hey, we're up by 24 points and might actually win this thing!! Oh crap, what do we do now??"" Then, they tensed up and played not to lose.

A question to those who regularly attend games: Have they ever played loose and fun like that this season? I certainly have not seen that during the other games I attended. We looked decent during the USF game, but not loose. You could tell they were having fun in the UAB game. What changed in the 2nd half? What a shame.

I did not notice Doherty do anything in particular to shake the team. What could it have been? It is just mind-boggling how that can happen. I kept thinking...there is NO way UAB can come back; they'd have to score as many points as they scored for more than half the game to do it. Then sure as sh*t, they crept closer and closer and closer and then, well...

Unfortunately, like most if not all of you, I think Doherty is the root of the problems. But if he stays on again next year, HE needs to figure out how to capture that mindset that the team played with in the first half and beginning of the second, and then bottle it. That's the formula, whatever it was. They were having fun. They were loose. They were dominating. And then....Doh!!!
Geaux MUSTANGS! Geaux Tigers!
BRStang
Hall of Famer

Postby mr. pony » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:07 pm

PonyDoh wrote:

The post concerned Doherty's prediction.
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyDoh » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:01 pm

mr. pony wrote:
PonyDoh wrote:

The post concerned Doherty's prediction.

would you, or any of us, predicted he'd have multiple games w/no FGs? Going into the year, the thought was inconceivable. More then a slump
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Balatro Diabolus Ex » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:43 pm

PonyDoh wrote:So did we actively sit on the lead? Play stall ball?

Four corner stall for the last 12-13 minutes. Yes indeed, on a night when we were shooting 61% from the floor and better than 50% from the arc, with no one in foul trouble and a 24 point lead on one of the conferences best teams, someone decided that the best strategy was to stop shooting until the shot clock was under 5. UAB went to a half court jump trap, and forced a string of turnovers. 24 point lead slowly dribbled away.

In one regard its a shame you missed it, because in the first half we actually did something new, offensively. Instead of using the post to set on-ball screens at the top of the key, we gave the ball to the high post, and let him look for the guards going to the basket on backdoor cuts. Worked beautifully for awhile, thats how we got so many good looks and layups. Didnt see any of that in the 2nd half.

And I want to say I disagree with the people complaining about no foul on the final play. The refs let a great deal of physical play go uncalled inside the paint, all night. Williams was bumped on the drive, but it was nothing heavier than Paul Millsap was bumped when he drove 6 seconds before, at the other end. They both got bumped, both missed their layups, and no foul either way. The refs were consistent. It may not have been the "right" call, because there was contact, but it was consistent with how the refs called the entire game.
Balatro Diabolus Ex
All-American

Previous

Return to Basketball