PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Billy Clyde Ready For New Challenge

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Billy Clyde Ready For New Challenge

Postby DickerJames » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:37 am

I think the next two games plus the tournament are going to be very telling. Anything less than a split of the next two and at least 1 win in the tournament and it will be a complete failure in my mind.

I am much less optomistic about next year considering the loss of Williams, and I can't erase from my memory all of the losses against [deleted] poor teams with Doherty stubbornly giving Ryan Harp major minutes and keeping Papa on the bench.
DickerJames
All-American

Postby ontheedgeofmyseat » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:53 am

COMPLETE FAILURE!!! HA!
ontheedgeofmyseat
Heisman

Postby ponyscott » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:20 am

CalallenStang wrote:LMAO at the lack of new, intelligent arguments for firing Doh. If you're going to fire a man, you fire him before he starts to find success, not after. Fact is Doh has good traction now and shouldn't be held responsible for the fact that Orsini didn't fire him at the end of last year.

I agree....some real basketball pundits coming on here now...fact is JJ opened up new avenues for recruiting that weren't here two years ago. The BBall recruiting is now gaining major traction which will equate to success as it's all about getting the best players anyway.
ponyscott
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DickerJames » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:52 pm

ontheedgeofmyseat wrote:COMPLETE FAILURE!!! HA!

So you will consider this season a success losing the next 3 games and finishing sub .500 once again?
DickerJames
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:02 pm

I suppose Gillespie will be headed to Houston since we beat the Cougs at Moody
Charleston Pony

Postby CA Mustang » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:19 am

Charleston Pony wrote:I suppose Gillespie will be headed to Houston since we beat the Cougs at Moody

Actually, the rumor yesterday was that Iowa State is interested in him. http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/features/rumors
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Balatro Diabolus Ex » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:21 am

PonyDoh wrote:
Balatro Diabolus Ex wrote:RGV- I think it's both, Turner has always wanted Evans, but Gillespies baggage and recent history worry him.

For what its worth Gillespie was at a high school event in Dallas last weekend, and he seemed very popular with the AAU coaching set. There were alot of people who wanted to get close to him, wanted him to look at their kids, etc. When someone asked him about the SMU job, he seemed non-committal, "That's still Matt Doherty's job". He looks like he's getting ready to come back to coaching, re-establishing contacts and evaluating players, etc, but no real inidications of where.

Interestingly, Fran Fraschilla was also there, slapping alot of backs and shaking alot of hands. He had the look of a guy who wanted to get back into the game.

Thanks for the tidbit. Coaches live at events, X. No doubt Clyde has his supporters in the local basketball community, though.

Oh really? No [deleted]. Thanks for the scoop. The difference here is that just a couple of days after this thread was made I ran into the guy it was discussing, so I thought that might be of interest to the people involved in the discussion. Fraschilla has been mentioned a few times on the board, as well, so I thought that might be a point of interest to some folks. I didnt realize I was going to upset the Doh Cultists so badly. I'll know better, next time.

You guys should be happy now, the heats off. Since the Houston game Doh's job is no longer in any real danger, his seat isnt even luke warm anymore. The only possible threat would be if the Arkansas coaching staff gets fired.
Balatro Diabolus Ex
All-American

Postby Balatro Diabolus Ex » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:23 am

ponyscott wrote:Wow can we let this rest!..Doh is not going anywhere anytime soon, right or wrong. SMU can't afford the buyout and he will have made improvement from last year and his recruiting efforts have stepped up with dividends on the horizon. There is no boring Basketball when you are a basketball fan AND when your team is winning. We seem to be on the right track and what occured in the past , is just that, in the past. The entrance requirements have been relaxed over the past few years and the new facilities are a big factor and we will see improvement, but to continuilly bring up BCG is un-informed BS.

RGV asked me a straightforward question, and when I saw it I answered it. That you dont want to hear it is not a real concern to me.
Balatro Diabolus Ex
All-American

Postby PonyDoh » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:13 am

Balatro Diabolus Ex wrote:
PonyDoh wrote:
Balatro Diabolus Ex wrote:RGV- I think it's both, Turner has always wanted Evans, but Gillespies baggage and recent history worry him.

For what its worth Gillespie was at a high school event in Dallas last weekend, and he seemed very popular with the AAU coaching set. There were alot of people who wanted to get close to him, wanted him to look at their kids, etc. When someone asked him about the SMU job, he seemed non-committal, "That's still Matt Doherty's job". He looks like he's getting ready to come back to coaching, re-establishing contacts and evaluating players, etc, but no real inidications of where.

Interestingly, Fran Fraschilla was also there, slapping alot of backs and shaking alot of hands. He had the look of a guy who wanted to get back into the game.

Thanks for the tidbit. Coaches live at events, X. No doubt Clyde has his supporters in the local basketball community, though.

Oh really? No [deleted]. Thanks for the scoop. The difference here is that just a couple of days after this thread was made I ran into the guy it was discussing, so I thought that might be of interest to the people involved in the discussion. Fraschilla has been mentioned a few times on the board, as well, so I thought that might be a point of interest to some folks. I didnt realize I was going to upset the Doh Cultists so badly. I'll know better, next time.

You guys should be happy now, the heats off. Since the Houston game Doh's job is no longer in any real danger, his seat isnt even luke warm anymore. The only possible threat would be if the Arkansas coaching staff gets fired.

Chill out, X. I said thanks for the tidbit. I'm not a Doh cultist, just don't see the point in moving on now, as we're seeing progress, and certainly didn't see the point in giving up 2 games into the season like half this board. Your info is appreciated
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gostangs » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:19 pm

Who exactly is the largest single donor to SMU basketball?
gostangs

Postby mustangxc » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:48 pm

gostangs wrote:Who exactly is the largest single donor to SMU basketball?

I think it depends on how you measure that. Yearly? lump sum? etc. The Crum's gave a huge lump sum.
mustangxc

Postby RGV Pony » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:41 am

gostangs wrote:Who exactly is the largest single donor to SMU basketball?

go back and read Doh's blogs/tweets and see who he talks about hanging out with
RGV Pony

Postby ponyscott » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:02 pm

Balatro Diabolus Ex wrote:
ponyscott wrote:Wow can we let this rest!..Doh is not going anywhere anytime soon, right or wrong. SMU can't afford the buyout and he will have made improvement from last year and his recruiting efforts have stepped up with dividends on the horizon. There is no boring Basketball when you are a basketball fan AND when your team is winning. We seem to be on the right track and what occured in the past , is just that, in the past. The entrance requirements have been relaxed over the past few years and the new facilities are a big factor and we will see improvement, but to continuilly bring up BCG is un-informed BS.

RGV asked me a straightforward question, and when I saw it I answered it. That you dont want to hear it is not a real concern to me.

Balatro, a little sensitive aren't we?...I wasn't talking to you or addressing you specifically, just in general the whole thread.
ponyscott

Previous

Return to Basketball