PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Rankings

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Rankings

Postby AusTxPony » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:15 pm

Saw where Kenpom ranks us #24, Massey #21. Higher than other preseason I have seen. Should I believe it?
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Re: Rankings

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:58 am

We can only hope this team lives up to those expectations, but I would think it will take some time for this group to gel. I'm not going to get overly concerned about early season mis-fires and just hope they come together for conference play.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony ^ » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:24 am

our OOC is incredibly tough...hopefully we gel quick.
Pony ^

Postby sadderbudweiser » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:36 pm

You never know.

You need go no farther back than last year.

Razor blades were out and ready after the Michigan debacle and USC/Boise roadtrip.

Then we pretty much aced the conference and all was right in the world.

And then....awww...you know.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby PonyTime » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:41 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:You never know.

You need go no farther back than last year.

Razor blades were out and ready after the Michigan debacle and USC/Boise roadtrip.

Then we pretty much aced the conference and all was right in the world.

And then....awww...you know.

We played so much better without any Aussies on the team last year.

This year - No Aussies. I am expecting big things!
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby oilpony » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:43 pm

Being a young team, I believe they will struggle early then hopefully start hitting their stride come conference time.
oilpony
All-American

Postby ponyboy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:14 pm

We. It's our team.
ponyboy

Postby deucetz » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:20 pm

Really depends if the freshman are able to contribute right away.
deucetz
All-American

Postby ponyboy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:46 pm

I think the key is Whitt. Will he run point the way I think he will? IMO he'll be the guy we're not talking about today whom we'll be talking about a lot in a month or two.
ponyboy

Postby JasonB » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:11 pm

- Foster and Shake will both average a ton this year. Look for both to step their game up and average over 15 per game.

- We will be extremely inconsistent early. We are going to lose some games none of us anticipate. The young guards I think we start very slowly, Ben and Whitt are inconsistent scorers, and the young forwards are going to be more consistent players but are going to get into foul trouble. There are going to be games where we are "on" offensively and can overcome a lack of defense, and other games where we get torched on defense and can't make up for it.

- When we get to the break, there are going to be some difficult conversations about whether or not to redshirt McMurray. He doesn't share, he dominates the ball, and it will absolutely take him some time to fit into the system. If we need the scoring and the frosh haven't stepped up, then he will play. Otherwise keep your eyes out for a redshirt.

- I think there is a good chance we are 8-5 heading into conference. Also a good chance we get swept in the Bahamas. We just won't be ready for that level of tournament.

- We are going to be a much better team by the time conference play starts. But the conference is much, much better this season than it has been in the past. A top half finish is probable. But a lot is going to have to go right for us to compete with Cincy and Wichita State at the top.
JasonB

Postby PonySnob » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:02 am

JasonB wrote:- Foster and Shake will both average a ton this year. Look for both to step their game up and average over 15 per game.

- We will be extremely inconsistent early. We are going to lose some games none of us anticipate. The young guards I think we start very slowly, Ben and Whitt are inconsistent scorers, and the young forwards are going to be more consistent players but are going to get into foul trouble. There are going to be games where we are "on" offensively and can overcome a lack of defense, and other games where we get torched on defense and can't make up for it.

- When we get to the break, there are going to be some difficult conversations about whether or not to redshirt McMurray. He doesn't share, he dominates the ball, and it will absolutely take him some time to fit into the system. If we need the scoring and the frosh haven't stepped up, then he will play. Otherwise keep your eyes out for a redshirt.

- I think there is a good chance we are 8-5 heading into conference. Also a good chance we get swept in the Bahamas. We just won't be ready for that level of tournament.

- We are going to be a much better team by the time conference play starts. But the conference is much, much better this season than it has been in the past. A top half finish is probable. But a lot is going to have to go right for us to compete with Cincy and Wichita State at the top.

NIT this season?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby PonyTime » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:55 am

JasonB wrote:- I think there is a good chance we are 8-5 heading into conference. Also a good chance we get swept in the Bahamas. We just won't be ready for that level of tournament.

Surprised that you feel this way. That will be quite sad as that would mean that we would likely lose to Northern Iowa, NC State and Western Kentucky and never have a chance to play any of the more marquee names that are in that tournament.

If you are correct, I will be glad I did not attend that one!

I am a little more optimistic than you are. The key is beating Northern Iowa in that first game. That would mean we would play Arizona and likely Purdue or Tennessee if we lost to AZ.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Blunt Pony » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:56 am

Never been accused of being an optimist when it comes to SMU athletics, but I do feel a bit more optimistic than some. While we have been observing the program for many years and have become used to the letdowns, the older guys on this team are used to winning. They don't have the doom and gloom that many of us (understandably) have. I like the mix of old and new and yes there are a lot of unknowns, but I think this schedule sets up pretty well for us. We have a handful of easy games sprinkled in with some big game opportunities. I think the talent is going to be the big question, but I don't anticipate that this team is going to have a fear of the big stage. I like our leadership and look forward to seeing if the talent is there to allow this team to make a good run. I think 3rd in conference is pretty realistic and I think the conference will be at least a 3 bid league so we will make the tournament. Excited to get it started.
Blunt Pony
Varsity

Postby ojaipony » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:10 am

SOOO hard to know with so many unknowns. Especially the status of Akoy. I think the front court frosh will surprise. And we have depth in the back court. With Akoy 100% healthy, I like our NCAA chances. If he's out, it's going to be tough. I have faith in this team/program unless they show otherwise. (it's the exact opposite with me on fball vs bball . . . fball has to prove to me they can win / bball will have to "prove" to me they are sub par).
ojaipony

Postby ponyboy » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:21 pm

Right. Shake and Jarrey are knowns and solid. Everyone else is TBD, and that includes Emologu. We could be a top 25 team, we could be top 60. Just no way of knowing.
ponyboy

Next

Return to Basketball