PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Official Thread - SMU vs Rice

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Official Thread - SMU vs Rice

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:36 am

to put this win in its proper perspective, going into this game...

Sagarin had us ranked #230, Rice #243

Vegas actually had us a 1 point favorite.
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyDoh » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:48 am

beating rice makes me even more mad about UAB, even CoC. We had those suckers
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mr. pony » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:49 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:to put this win in its proper perspective, going into this game...

Sagarin had us ranked #230, Rice #243

Vegas actually had us a 1 point favorite.

Thank you.
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby George S. Patton » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:06 am

Given that this team has done absolutely nothing this year, it was nice to see the boys keep at it. And winning a conference game on the road is pretty tough. Last year, we got beat soundly down there.
George S. Patton

Postby Blvd_Stang » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:45 am

Ryan Babre had a better game than Paul McCoy in less than half the minutes.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=300200242

If I were Doherty I wouldnt play McCoy off the bench, I would give him 3 or so games off to just watch the team compete without him and maybe (re)build some hunger.
2009 Ponyfans Rookie of the Year
Blvd_Stang
Heisman

Postby PonyDoh » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:30 am

Blvd_Stang wrote:Ryan Babre had a better game than Paul McCoy in less than half the minutes.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=300200242

If I were Doherty I wouldnt play McCoy off the bench, I would give him 3 or so games off to just watch the team compete without him and maybe (re)build some hunger.

this isn't the time to take basketball from McCoy. He just had a very close family member pass away. He's mostly ineffective right now, but he can still be of assistance when it comes to ball-handling and pressure.
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Blvd_Stang » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:42 am

I didn't know that...I can see why he's performing poorly. Sometimes we forget that these are kids/students.

How has his Defense been overall?
2009 Ponyfans Rookie of the Year
Blvd_Stang
Heisman

Postby PonyDoh » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:46 am

Blvd_Stang wrote:I didn't know that...I can see why he's performing poorly. Sometimes we forget that these are kids/students.

How has his Defense been overall?

tough time for Paul, to be sure. That said, I wouldn't write home about his defense either..lol
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:45 pm

As ineffective as McCoy has been this year, he still knows how to handle the rock and still has the ability to penetrate! Whenever he sees an opening he still gets by defenders, just needs to engage himself more. He needs an AI type of mentality. Hopefully he starts feeling better soon, for everyone's sake, but especially his.
mustangxc

Postby Cardinal Puff » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:07 pm

Regret to hear of McCoy's family loss. In the UAB game he had a couple of good looks and did not shoot. Need him to take those shots, pull the defense and then let him own the lane like he did so often last year.
Cardinal Puff
Varsity

Postby indianmustang » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:59 am

at we were competetive in all the cusa games so far
Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby ponyscott » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:24 am

The kids should have a fun 20-30 point win against Houston Babtist and maybe a game like this will engage their offense for the CUSA games ahead....
ponyscott

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:29 am

I was on a business trip and didn't even see the Rice score until this morning. Not ready to play Duke yet, but great win on the road! I have to say how impressed I am with these guys after the UAB loss. I really thought we were looking at capitulation time after that one. But it sounds like they showed a lot of heart at Rice. Now they need to keep the intensity up and not let-down against Houston-Baptist. Great win though. My hat's off to the entire team and coaching staff for that one.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Previous

Return to Basketball