PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU Men v. Texas State

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU Men v. Texas State

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:14 pm

it's a W and was fun to see the guys running the floor tonight; could be an interesting return game in San Marcos, but this one was scheduled to be a W and a W it is.

Now let's just make sure everyone makes their grades and let's get off to Hawaii...and PLEASE don't get humiliated in that scrimmage that has been scheduled to start that road trip!
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyDoh » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:20 pm

George S. Patton wrote:OK, I'm really interested in this summation by those who tracked this.

Without knowing for what I know -- thanks to those who shed some light -- when you blow a 20-point lead against a SLC team and make it interesting at the end, that's not good. You need to put these people away. I'm sure the small lineup with the fouls didn't help but that's the time where your guards need to value the bb and take care of it.

Are we just incapable of playing any kind of style much less learn how to finish? This sounds like the same finish to the NAIA team game.

Glad we won but.... :roll:

We came out hot, moving the ball, and hitting open looks. Had 11 3s in the first half, team was running, having some fun. Unfortunately, the didn't play a lick of D. Despite shooting well, only an 11 pt lead at half. They made a run to open the half, we took control and were in real command for the majority of the 2nd half. The only reason they were close was 2nd chance points off of boards. Otis and Luttman help, if they were healthy. Unfortunately, McCoy doesn't know who he is right now. Huge slump
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby George S. Patton » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:24 pm

Did they get hurt in practice? I haven't read anything where they were all of the sudden hurt. Unless this is a phantom injury and Doherty is ticked for some reason.

I might be reaching but did anyone recall anything that happened in the TCU game.

Doh, thanks for the help but does this smell to you? I'm just asking.
George S. Patton

Postby papawasamustang » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:26 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:it's a W and was fun to see the guys running the floor tonight; could be an interesting return game in San Marcos, but this one was scheduled to be a W and a W it is.

Now let's just make sure everyone makes their grades and let's get off to Hawaii...and PLEASE don't get humiliated in that scrimmage that has been scheduled to start that road trip!

Don't take Accidental lightly. They are coming off big time wins against the likes of
West Coast Baptist, La Sierra, American Sports University & most recently, powerhouse Holy Names.
What is this [deleted] !! Couldn't they find a legit team on the left coast to play?

Back to tonights game, HUGE win against Texas State.
"We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors."
papawasamustang
Heisman

Postby CalallenStang » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:29 pm

papawasamustang wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:it's a W and was fun to see the guys running the floor tonight; could be an interesting return game in San Marcos, but this one was scheduled to be a W and a W it is.

Don't take Accidental lightly. They are coming off big time wins against the likes of
West Coast Baptist, La Sierra, American Sports University & most recently, powerhouse Holy Names.
What is this [deleted] !! Couldn't they find a legit team on the left coast to play?

God, sounds like a game we will lose.
CalallenStang

Postby George S. Patton » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:32 pm

papawasamustang wrote:

Man I hope your use of Huge is with your tongue firmly inserted in your cheek. I mean, yes, they really needed to win this, but when you give it up, doesn't give you another reason to go hmmmmm?
George S. Patton

Postby CalallenStang » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:36 pm

Why the hell can't we finish a team off?
CalallenStang

Postby papawasamustang » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:39 pm

George S. Patton wrote:
papawasamustang wrote:

Man I hope your use of Huge is with your tongue firmly inserted in your cheek. I mean, yes, they really needed to win this, but when you give it up, doesn't give you another reason to go hmmmmm?

Yes, its pretty sad when its a HUGE win against Texas State.
"We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors."
papawasamustang
Heisman

Postby papawasamustang » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:43 pm

CalallenStang wrote:Why the hell can't we finish a team off?

Looks like we stopped jackin the 3's. 1-7 in the 2nd half.
9 TO's Tx State's 2 in the 2nd half.
Despite foul trouble, +10 on the boards 2nd half.
papawasamustang
Heisman

Postby CalallenStang » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:44 pm

CalallenStang wrote:This reminds me of the Huston-Tillotson game - stay tuned.

said this at 7:27 PM...
CalallenStang

Postby George S. Patton » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:51 pm

OK, so should they stick with this open floor game in spite of the defensive issues or what does anybody think?

Or did we play this way because I'm pretty sure that's the way this Texas St. coach has coached the game.

Or does this game drive Doherty over the edge and scream half court until their feet our bloody.

Personally, if you're going to tank it out, just go Paul Westhead it out and pull the Loyola Marymount style from the late 80s and 90s where you run and jack and screw the defense. At least, make it fun because we know this team probably isn't having any.

FWIW, I do remember Texas St. giving Texas a lot of problems at the Erwin Center last December. Texas hung on to win but it was by less than 10.

As for McCoy, again I just wonder if he's really feeling like he made a mistake by returning and is really regretting it.

You know after Dec. 24, it's pretty much going to be a black hole around here until March Madness starts.
George S. Patton

Postby CalallenStang » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:58 pm

Doh's game plan according to Rich was to go with an open, fast-paced offense and IMO it worked. The problems were due to a lack of size and IMO that was due to how quickly Dia and Nyakundi fouled out - Doh should never have allowed this to happen so quickly.

The game disintegrated for us towards the end because we aren't in shape. I've said it before and I'll say it again - this team is poorly conditioned. I've been saying it for the past three seasons and watched our team struggle down the stretch game in and game out.
CalallenStang

Postby papawasamustang » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:18 pm

CalallenStang wrote:
papawasamustang wrote:

God, sounds like a game we will lose.

This squad can't take any team lightly @ home or on the road.
Do you realize that McCoy, Faye, & Williams have not won a road game in a Mustang uniform?
0 wins in 08-09 & only 1 road win in 07-08. Incredible stat.
papawasamustang
Heisman

Postby CalallenStang » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:20 pm

That stat makes me sick. There's no excuse. We should be able to build a program that's able to compete with the Tulsa's of the world.
CalallenStang

Postby Wuba » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:38 pm

Seems like no one commenting was at the game. It was going fine, SMU was up 19 with 6:36 left when Doh went to four corners and Texas State went to a full court press. SMU had a lot of trouble breaking the press and when they did they did the usual Doh trick of waiting until 6 seconds were left on the shot clock to start the offense leading to turnovers and forced shots. Texas State went on 14-0 run and eventually got within 2.

Perhaps this is the first win we can credit to the Crum center because the improvement in FT shooting since the last game was staggering. Without those FTs (and poor FT shooting by Texas State) SMU likely loses.
Wuba
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball