PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Calipari to Kentucky?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby George S. Patton » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:28 pm

Louisville TV stations are reporting Calipari accepted Kentucky's offer and will be their coach.
George S. Patton

Postby friarwolf » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:55 pm

How many of those studs are going to want out of their commitment??????
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby RGV Pony » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:15 pm

friarwolf wrote:How many of those studs are going to want out of their commitment??????

most of 'em.

Can't imagine Cousins not following Cal.
RGV Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Terry Webster » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:13 pm

Report up here says that 2 recruits and the entire coaching staff will be going to uk with Calipari
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangnation » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:22 pm

Terry Webster wrote:Report up here says that 2 recruits and the entire coaching staff will be going to uk with Calipari

My guess would be Cousins and Henry. I would be willing to bet that there will be a few more commits asking for a realease and a few transfering out if Cal leaves. Nolan Dennis, out of FW, would be a nice pickup if he asks for a release.
mustangnation
Varsity

Postby J.T.supporta » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:16 pm

mustangnation wrote:
Terry Webster wrote:Report up here says that 2 recruits and the entire coaching staff will be going to uk with Calipari

My guess would be Cousins and Henry. I would be willing to bet that there will be a few more commits asking for a realease and a few transfering out if Cal leaves. Nolan Dennis, out of FW, would be a nice pickup if he asks for a release.

no need to ask for a release, they are only verbal commitments so they can leave without asking. National LOI arent signed for a few more weeks in CBB
J.T.supporta

Postby George S. Patton » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:38 pm

J.T.supporta wrote:
mustangnation wrote:

no need to ask for a release, they are only verbal commitments so they can leave without asking. National LOI arent signed for a few more weeks in CBB

There's an early signing period in November. I think Richland's Nolan Dennis was one of those.
George S. Patton

Postby Pony_Fan » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:46 pm

This is crappy news for the conference. Was nice to have a real team - I highly doubt that a new coach will sustain their dominance.

Let's hope he stays.

John Calipari decided late Monday night to sleep on Kentucky's offer to become its next basketball coach, a source close to the situation said.
Pony_Fan

Postby George S. Patton » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:10 am

Pony_Fan wrote:This is crappy news for the conference. Was nice to have a real team - I highly doubt that a new coach will sustain their dominance.

Let's hope he stays.

John Calipari decided late Monday night to sleep on Kentucky's offer to become its next basketball coach, a source close to the situation said.

Let's hope he does what he thinks is best for him. It's about time this damn conference stood on its own 2 feet and got better instead of Memphis carrying the torch for us year after year.
George S. Patton

Postby EastStang » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:04 am

He's being offer almost double his salary to move to Kentucky. That's $1.8 Million more per year. You can buy a lot of fishing boats for that kind of scratch, or pay his taxes.
EastStang

Postby ponydawg » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:59 am

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/20 ... -decision/

Geoff Calkins: Tigers' Calipari to make decision this afternoon about Kentucky
By Geoff Calkins (Contact), Memphis Commercial Appeal
Originally published 10:17 a.m., March 31, 2009
Updated 10:17 a.m., March 31, 2009

John Calipari told friends at a Memphis donut shop this morning he would make his decision about the Kentucky job "this afternoon."

And, yes, that is what this has come to: Tracking the man to a donut shop.

Calipari dropped by to see a collection of buddies at Gibson's Donuts at Mt. Moriah at 9:35 this morning.

Unbeknownst to him, The Commercial Appeal had a source -- we'll call him Deep Crueller -- at a nearby table.

Calipari stayed for exactly eight minutes. In that span, he said:

** In addition to Kentucky, Arizona came after him over the weekend offering not a salary but a blank check. Calipari said, "No thanks."

** He was in the Memphis Athletic Office Building yesterday but slipped out a side door.

** He loves Memphis but is drawn to the history and prestige of Kentucky. Calipari said it's one of five programs -- along with North Carolina, Duke, UCLA and Kansas -- any coach would have to consider.

Nobody actually came out and asked Calipari if he was leaving, but he said he hadn't made up his mind. He was going to drive around Memphis today and decide this afternoon.

If you're into reading tea leaves -- or coffee grounds, if you prefer -- Calipari did say two things that should have Memphis fans worried.

"Things will be OK here," he said.

And also: "Taking the job is the easy part of the decision. Leaving here is the hard part."
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponydawg » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:23 pm

The Louisville Courier-Journal and a Memphis television station are reporting that John Calipari, after last-minute attempts to keep him at Memphis, has decided to leave Memphis to become the next men's basketball coach at UK.

WREG-TV is reporting on its website that Calipari is currently at his home meeting with members of his staff explaining the decision.

The Courier-Journal said on its website Tuesday afternoon that Calipari called former UK coach Joe B. Hall to talk about the Kentucky job and the Kentucky tradition.

"That was awfully nice of him," said Hall, who coached UK to the 1978 NCAA title.

"Coach Cal is a hot item. He's a great coach as well as a superior recruiter. His track record speaks for itself. I think Kentucky was looking to do something dramatic in the face of all that has gone down."

The Courier-Journal was also told that Calipari intends to speak with several other former Kentucky coaches, including Eddie Sutton and Tubby Smith. No word on whether his phone call list with include Rick Pitino or Billy Gillispie.
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby MustangStealth » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:39 pm

ESPN also reporting that he met last night with Memphis' big boosters, and was giving them advice on his replacement (Barbee from UTEP).
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby bagice » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:59 pm

MustangStealth wrote:ESPN also reporting that he met last night with Memphis' big boosters, and was giving them advice on his replacement (Barbee from UTEP).

Heh, that would drive the Memphis faithful crazy...they hate that guy now and he has been less than stellar at UTEP.

Ultimately, I am going to sadly say that a much weaker Memphis is better for the conference. They were miles ahead of anyone else as far as talent and the ability to reload each year. The rest of the teams are struggling to get their identity and it would take a special, miraculous run to dethrone the current Memphis...would almost have to be a fluke, no matter how long it took.

I am sure Memphis will still be the conference elite, but by taking a temporary giant step backward, the other teams in C-USA can hopefully step forward with them. I see real hope that some basketball programs are going to be reinvigorated and next years conference crown could go to anyone, especially if Memphis won't be able to put 5 on the court after all their rercuits and current players leave (if you believe what people are saying.).
Womack + Wishbone = Heisman

Class of 89
bagice
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:02 pm

I was listening to John Thompson on the radio this afternoon and he was surprised that Calipari was leaving Memphis. Thompson had numerous chances to leave Georgetown and didn't until he retired. He said that Calipiri had it made at Memphis, he could recruit anyone he wanted and lo and behold they were accepted. At Kentucky it might not be as easy to do that. He noted that Calipiri could dictate what he wanted at Memphis, at Kentucky he'll get dictated to. Thompson didn't understand why coaching at Kentucky was more important as being able to control your own destiny. He did note that today most players have an out clause in their letters of intent that if the coach leaves they can get out of their letter. Rumor has it that his three top recruits will follow him to Kentucky which should make them a great team next year with the players they have returning.
EastStang

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball