PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Doh

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Doh

Postby George S. Patton » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:17 am

Point of information Bubba, Rhonda has been in Texas for well in excess of 20 years and played for Welton Brown (I'm sure you knew that) so she understands how the lay of the land works in Texas and how to recruit in the DFW and THAT'S why she's been successful and why she's been able to take recruits away from TCU.

And you can take your redneck comment and shove it you elitist northeast pig.

Now Icon, if you think I'm tying this recruiting class to Doherty's failures in DFW, that's up to you. But just about every head coach who comes to every suffering program always stresses the need to keep a good share of the local kids and then expand.

Tubby Smith did it at Minnesota and now he's getting the top kids out of the Twin Cities -- BCS conference or not. It's all about building relationships with coaches and local AAU people. I hope we're seriously not believing that Doherty doesn't have a problem here.

I'm sorry but I'm a firm believer that if you want to have your program on solid ground, you need to make serious inroads in your local area, especially if you're not a national program, which we obviously are not.

The results speak for themselves.
George S. Patton

Postby Mestengo » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:13 pm

SMU89 wrote:
Mestengo wrote:I want to know how all of the Aggie Fans got in the blue seats. You can't buy the tickets from the box office they had to be given away or sold on stub hub for $100.00 per seat.

Some jerk probably sold his two seats.

:lol:
Mestengo
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyDoh » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:32 pm

PoconoPony wrote:
PonyDoh wrote:You guys are projecting, the players are fine with Doh. I'm sure they'd like to see the rotation trimmed,. Certainly less Carolina blue team stuff, and would like to see McCoy/Will reined back in, but the issues you guys raise don't really exist. They did when they weren't all his players, but not so much now. Why even bring up the pressure cooker that was UNC, in reference to this team? After all, we just had 6k attend a home game, 5k from the opposing school. The situations couldn't be any different.

I was in Dallas for the last week for the Rice and UTEP games and made many contacts on campus including attending the A&M game. The issues the guys raise supra. are very real, exist and are glaringly apparent to those who are close to the program. He coaches in practice like he handles the team in games. Considerable criticism and little positive reinforcement. Kids are confused and no one dares step up. Eaststange is particularly on point.

LOL, way to spend a week around the school and think you know something. Thinking eaststang is on point, tells me everything i need to know about your actual access.
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:46 pm

Pony Doh, did or did not MD get run out of UNC on a rail when his players rebelled against him?
Yes or no? As for the rest of my comments if you read them, you would notice that I was speaking generally, that some coaches don't know when to take the foot off the gas while others (even ones with tempers, know when to ease off). That's one art of coaching that can't be learned and really does separate the great coaches from the rest of the pack. Knight, Thompson, Coach K, Dean Smith, Al McGuire, all knew how to get the most out of their players and how to deal with each person who happens to be wearing the team uniform and how to recruit. This is not to say that Doh is a bad coach or that statements made in this thread by others have any validity at all, I haven't witnessed Doh and his players this year, but I do know that the behavior mentioned fits his MO, and it can lead to some lack of success on the Court. I've coached youth basketball and I know that you have to be stern, but sometimes you have to make sure the guys remember that this is a sport and its supposed to be fun. If you don't, the players burn out.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyDoh » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:09 pm

EastStang wrote:Pony Doh, did or did not MD get run out of UNC on a rail when his players rebelled against him?
Yes or no? As for the rest of my comments if you read them, you would notice that I was speaking generally, that some coaches don't know when to take the foot off the gas while others (even ones with tempers, know when to ease off). That's one art of coaching that can't be learned and really does separate the great coaches from the rest of the pack. Knight, Thompson, Coach K, Dean Smith, Al McGuire, all knew how to get the most out of their players and how to deal with each person who happens to be wearing the team uniform and how to recruit. This is not to say that Doh is a bad coach or that statements made in this thread by others have any validity at all, I haven't witnessed Doh and his players this year, but I do know that the behavior mentioned fits his MO, and it can lead to some lack of success on the Court. I've coached youth basketball and I know that you have to be stern, but sometimes you have to make sure the guys remember that this is a sport and its supposed to be fun. If you don't, the players burn out.

Your approach to the situation at Carolina lacks depth, cause it was complicated and a bad match from Day 1. He was let go from UNC, mostly b/c they botched their original search so badly, the great UNC ended up w/Doh, who had a grand total of one D1 season of head coaching under his belt. He wasn't ready, was put in a vacuum, and didn't know how to deal w/a program of that magnitude. His failures were many, but he did do was stock the cupboard. Do you remember who Gut had targeted, and how Doh changed the entire recruit strategy when he came in? Who he ended with, vs who they had lined up?

Ultimately, he was canned b/c of the 8-22 season, and the fact they wanted Roy from Day 1. No doubt he had a riff w/several players, mostly b/c of their horrible parents(see May & McCants)and his abrasive style, but Carolina fans just don't have the stomach for that type of rebuild. The players revolt was a smokescreen to cover the beheading coming from the AD. Had they given him one more year, he'd probably still be there, b/c he rebuilt them on the fly, and had already turned the corner when they canned him. Honestly, it would be like us having a winning record this year, return everyone of note, and fire the guy. I have no idea who could handle the Carolina job w/just one year experience. A near impossible task.

Here are the criticisms that I know exist in the locker room. Some members of the team think McCoy shoots way too much, and that Paul and Will have too much freedom, while others have very little. Also, the blue team substitution pattern hurts flow. What these players aren't [deleted] about is Doh getting in their face. That's part of the deal, and it's not abusive, just hard.
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PoconoPony » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:00 pm

PonyDoh wrote:
PoconoPony wrote:
PonyDoh wrote:You guys are projecting, the players are fine with Doh. I'm sure they'd like to see the rotation trimmed,. Certainly less Carolina blue team stuff, and would like to see McCoy/Will reined back in, but the issues you guys raise don't really exist. They did when they weren't all his players, but not so much now. Why even bring up the pressure cooker that was UNC, in reference to this team? After all, we just had 6k attend a home game, 5k from the opposing school. The situations couldn't be any different.

I was in Dallas for the last week for the Rice and UTEP games and made many contacts on campus including attending the A&M game. The issues the guys raise supra. are very real, exist and are glaringly apparent to those who are close to the program. He coaches in practice like he handles the team in games. Considerable criticism and little positive reinforcement. Kids are confused and no one dares step up. Eaststange is particularly on point.

LOL, way to spend a week around the school and think you know something. Thinking eaststang is on point, tells me everything i need to know about your actual access.

Unfortunately, PonyDoh you do not know who I know, with whom I visited and what I did with my time on campus. I will only assure you that my contacts are absolutely in a position to know and my personal observations are accurate. Your pontifications are from afar are not always accurate and frequently without foundation. I will reiterate, Eaststang's comments in this matter are point on.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponydawg » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:53 pm

ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyDoh » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:27 am

PoconoPony wrote:
PonyDoh wrote:
PoconoPony wrote:Unfortunately, PonyDoh you do not know who I know, with whom I visited and what I did with my time on campus. I will only assure you that my contacts are absolutely in a position to know and my personal observations are accurate. Your pontifications are from afar are not always accurate and frequently without foundation. I will reiterate, Eaststang's comments in this matter are point on.

keep believing what you will, but my access and contacts are unsurpassed when it comes to the AD and the hoops program. I'm a basketball industry guy by trade, not some random booster. My pontifications are never from afar, ever, or I wouldn't comment at all, certainly not as strongly as I do. I don't much care who you spoke with, b/c I know the folks I speak with. funny you point to my distance as being from 'afar', but agree w/eaststang who doesn't seem to have direct knowledge of anything that happens behind closed doors, and keeps pointing to UNC as a frame of reference.
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PoconoPony » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:53 pm

keep believing what you will, but my access and contacts are unsurpassed when it comes to the AD and the hoops program. I'm a basketball industry guy by trade, not some random booster. My pontifications are never from afar, ever, or I wouldn't comment at all, certainly not as strongly as I do. I don't much care who you spoke with, b/c I know the folks I speak with. funny you point to my distance as being from 'afar', but agree w/eaststang who doesn't seem to have direct knowledge of anything that happens behind closed doors, and keeps pointing to UNC as a frame of reference.[/quote]

Unfortunatlely, PonyDoh the issues which caused the problems and dismissal action at UNC continue to exist, have not been corrected and are affecting the SMU program.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyDoh » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:43 am

PoconoPony wrote:keep believing what you will, but my access and contacts are unsurpassed when it comes to the AD and the hoops program. I'm a basketball industry guy by trade, not some random booster. My pontifications are never from afar, ever, or I wouldn't comment at all, certainly not as strongly as I do. I don't much care who you spoke with, b/c I know the folks I speak with. funny you point to my distance as being from 'afar', but agree w/eaststang who doesn't seem to have direct knowledge of anything that happens behind closed doors, and keeps pointing to UNC as a frame of reference.

Unfortunatlely, PonyDoh the issues which caused the problems and dismissal action at UNC continue to exist, have not been corrected and are affecting the SMU program.[/quote]

omg, we have Roy Williams lined up
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby papawasamustang » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:16 am

I don't want to get into a [deleted] match with you big hitters but I think its obvious that you don't need to know alot of influential SMU folks to be able to figure whats going on with the team after 3 games.
We are 1-2. We still play tight, looking over shoulders all the time for captain hook. Sub patterns are like a yo yo. How can anyone get into a rhythm?
The chemistry is lacking. Alot of what we saw last season has returned.
If I'm the opponent I sit back in a zone & watch this team pass the ball around the perimeter trying to figure out what to do.

Basketball is a great GAME. Would love to see the guys have some fun, play loose & smile occasionally if permitted by the HC.

Will it get better? I hope so. The season is young & hopefully RN will get back soon & that will help. This team has talent.
"We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors."
papawasamustang
Heisman

Postby George S. Patton » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:12 am

What's really ridiculous is that the McCoy-Williams ball hogging comments started around the Texas A&M game. If we can't even get to Thanksgiving and that stuff is already being thrown out there, there is the potential for this locker room to go sideways.

And Doherty, who wouldn't know how to build team chemistry if you gave him directions, better find a way to get this cleared up and make sure everybody understands his role.

But here's a little information -- Your top scorers should consistently be McCoy, Williams, Faye and Dia. Every solid basketball team has 3 solid scoring options and hey, those guys should get the most shots. For those who are acting pissy about the shooting, who else is going to score?

I think McCoy and Williams will pass more but because our big men have stunk it up in recent years -- see Dia -- it pretty much causes your guards not to trust getting the ball inside.

But if Dia continues this start, they'll start attempting to get it to him more. I think that will work itself out but Dia has to give them a reason to get him the ball.

I don't agree about breaking up McCoy and Williams because I think it would make us easier to defend. The comments about Harp being the grinder are valid, but he's not even very good at doing that. He appears to be the only candidate who can do it. But I don't know what your other choice is unless it's Luttman.

They need to win these next 3 to get to 4-2, get whatever friction there is resolved and move on. We can't have a locker room on the brink of implosion if that's truly where we're at.
George S. Patton

Postby PonyDoh » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:54 am

papawasamustang wrote:I don't want to get into a [deleted] match with you big hitters but I think its obvious that you don't need to know alot of influential SMU folks to be able to figure whats going on with the team after 3 games.
We are 1-2. We still play tight, looking over shoulders all the time for captain hook. Sub patterns are like a yo yo. How can anyone get into a rhythm?
The chemistry is lacking. Alot of what we saw last season has returned.
If I'm the opponent I sit back in a zone & watch this team pass the ball around the perimeter trying to figure out what to do.

Basketball is a great GAME. Would love to see the guys have some fun, play loose & smile occasionally if permitted by the HC.

Will it get better? I hope so. The season is young & hopefully RN will get back soon & that will help. This team has talent.

hard not to agree w/most of this, right now.
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyDoh » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:17 am

George S. Patton wrote:What's really ridiculous is that the McCoy-Williams ball hogging comments started around the Texas A&M game. If we can't even get to Thanksgiving and that stuff is already being thrown out there, there is the potential for this locker room to go sideways.

And Doherty, who wouldn't know how to build team chemistry if you gave him directions, better find a way to get this cleared up and make sure everybody understands his role.

But here's a little information -- Your top scorers should consistently be McCoy, Williams, Faye and Dia. Every solid basketball team has 3 solid scoring options and hey, those guys should get the most shots. For those who are acting pissy about the shooting, who else is going to score?

I think McCoy and Williams will pass more but because our big men have stunk it up in recent years -- see Dia -- it pretty much causes your guards not to trust getting the ball inside.

But if Dia continues this start, they'll start attempting to get it to him more. I think that will work itself out but Dia has to give them a reason to get him the ball.

I don't agree about breaking up McCoy and Williams because I think it would make us easier to defend. The comments about Harp being the grinder are valid, but he's not even very good at doing that. He appears to be the only candidate who can do it. But I don't know what your other choice is unless it's Luttman.

They need to win these next 3 to get to 4-2, get whatever friction there is resolved and move on. We can't have a locker room on the brink of implosion if that's truly where we're at.

'Brink of implosion' is pretty strong w/regard to the locker room, it's not remotely at that point. The issue here is team assists, b/c we don't rack them. Our primary ball-handlers just don't get the ball to teammates in a position to do much of anything. Part of that is our inability to finish in the front line, no doubt, but the result is stagnant ball movement, and a ton of one on one play. Just b/c McCoy & Will are our best players, shouldn't mean they get to play 2 on 5.

They are our PGs, tell them to move the ball, find a way to get good looks for everyone, by design, through sets. That is the job. If they are intent on the dribble drive, make sure you know where your shooters are, and move the rock. Obviously, no problem w/them finishing when they can, but they don't even look to do anything but finish. Your ceiling is incredibly low when your team assists never surpass TOs. We've tried the McCoy/Will show, and while individually fine players, team play hurts.

We really need to wax Angelica Huston tonight, and figure out a way to get a w vs. TCU. At that point, we're back on track. At one point, I was thinking we could steal one from UNLV, but they are better then I was anticipating, especially w/so many new players.
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby George S. Patton » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:34 am

PonyDoh wrote:
George S. Patton wrote:What's really ridiculous is that the McCoy-Williams ball hogging comments started around the Texas A&M game. If we can't even get to Thanksgiving and that stuff is already being thrown out there, there is the potential for this locker room to go sideways.

'Brink of implosion' is pretty strong w/regard to the locker room, it's not remotely at that point.

I also said at the end of that sentence "...if that's truly where we're at.''

I don't agree about separting McCoy and Williams. We need them both on the floor. Again, a trust factor will develop the first couple of times they dump it inside and see results. Don't give up on that yet. If we're no better with that through the six-game homestand, then I'll give it a try. Again, it goes back to who are your best players and who gives you the best chance to win.

This separation argument doesn't wash with me. Some of you might as well say that they are not our best players or they don't give us the best chance to win. Texas did it pretty well with BMw THE LATE 1980S.
George S. Patton

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball