PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

FIRE Matt Doherty NOW and SAVE this program!!

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Fire Doherty NOW!!! Minnesota did it 3 years ago!

Postby friarwolf » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:30 am

We're seeing signs of a team already beaten down by its coach.................
friarwolf
Heisman

Re: FIRE Matt Doherty NOW and SAVE this program!!

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:00 am

is it too late for Rob Evans? Probably so, but we still need to repair the damage of the Burgers and Cheer fiasco because Doherty hasn't been able to repair it or bridge it. I always thought Evans was was the right "bridge" hire. It was a natural fit. He was the "grandfatherly" type we needed for a few years. I would have liked for Turner to say to his friend Evans, take the job for 4 years and identify and groom your replacement...a young energetic guy that could then hit the ground running about now. Oh well, what I think and what SMU thinks are usually two different things it seems.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby EastStang » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:12 am

I wasn't at the game, but beating an NAIA team by four points at home is something that I classify as a bad win. I think Doherty gets to play out this year. Orsini can then judge if its time to pull the trigger and send MD packing. So far the improvement needed for MD to keep his job, just isn't there. Whether the players have quit on him or they just are not that good tends to work against him on a number of levels. MD needs to figure out whether the problem is the abilities of the players or the heads of the players, or the hearts of the players. Whatever the problem, he needs to address it. If its the abilities of the players to run his schemes, then he needs to adjust his schemes. These are his players, he's gotta dance with what he has and if that means changing his game plan, he should do so.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby George S. Patton » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:18 am

All things being equal, EastStang, I would agree with you. But this 4-point win over a lousy NAIA team is the last straw for me.

I'm going to one upcoming game and that will probably be it.

I'm going to make this as clear as possible:

"I am done with Matt Doherty as the head coach of the men's basketball program at Southern Methodist University.''

We need to move on.
George S. Patton

Postby StallionsModelT » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:49 pm

Sadly I am now on the fire Doherty bandwagon as well. We have made zero progress since we hired him and this program is floundering on non-existence. Go get a young assistant from a big school and stop going out and just finding big names who flamed out.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby MustangStealth » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:59 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:Sadly I am now on the fire Doherty bandwagon as well. We have made zero progress since we hired him and this program is floundering on non-existence.

I'd actually say we've regressed. We've gone from mediocre against mediocre competition to mediocre against non-Division I teams.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby WSGJ » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:08 pm

This isn't just an NAIA team... it's a below average one.

In 2008, they were either 5-11 (conf.) and 8-17 or 7-11 (conf.) and 10-20 (depending if you believe their website or the Red River Conf site). They finished 10 games back in their NAIA conference. They finished behind some local powers such as Southwest Assemblies of God and Texas Wesleyan. They did however manage a better record than Paul Quinn.

Here are their 2009 Results:

11/07/09 Oklahoma Christian University L 69-87

11/16/09 University of the Incarnate Word L 79-92

This thing needs to be blown up in the worst way...
WSGJ
Junior Varsity

Postby FriscoPMG » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:38 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:Sadly I am now on the fire Doherty bandwagon as well. We have made zero progress since we hired him and this program is floundering on non-existence. Go get a young assistant from a big school and stop going out and just finding big names who flamed out.

Like 4 yrs ago when we should've placed a call to a young and unproven Josh Pastner! :) The move would've been ripped at the time, but I bet this program would be in better shape under him then it is now under Doh!
But taking a risk isn't the Steve O way...he likes to stick with his big names, regardless of if they're retreads.
FriscoPMG
All-American

Postby PonyDoh » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:32 pm

if Doh can't turn it around, have to go young assistant route, not a re-tread. Just go grab Russell Springmann from UT or someone like him
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby papawasamustang » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:44 pm

Doh, I agree. We have had several discussions about the Sringmann, Theus, etc.

I don't think Gillespie would be a good choice. Right there with Ned Fowler & Kelvin Sampson in my book. Someone like a Russ Springmann @ UT would work for me. Many names could be thrown in the mix.

Bottom line is there is no excitement from the team or in the stands @ Moody.
Moody is a morgue. For those of us that actually attend the games you know what I'm talking about.
What should be one of the best atmospheres in college basketball has turned into the worst.

Recruiting looks good for 2010 but no confidence in the development of our recruits.
Would much rather see a fresh approach.

Coaches get hired & fired all the time. No big deal Steve O took a swing with Doh & missed badly.

The move has to be made.
"We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors."
papawasamustang
Heisman

Postby MustangStealth » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:57 pm

Don't get me wrong, I'm no Gillespie fan, but don't go thinking he would just be another Doherty.

I said it when we made the hire, and I'll say it again: Doherty has NEVER shown he can build a program or sustain a program. SMU will be the longest HC job he has ever had. When he has won, it has been with someone else's players.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby papawasamustang » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:13 pm

MustangStealth wrote:Don't get me wrong, I'm no Gillespie fan, but don't go thinking he would just be another Doherty.

I said it when we made the hire, and I'll say it again: Doherty has NEVER shown he can build a program or sustain a program. SMU will be the longest HC job he has ever had. When he has won, it has been with someone else's players.

I here u. I don't think he's the best choice out there but I wouldn't be disappointed.
Like I said, ANYTHING is better than what we have right now.
"We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors."
papawasamustang
Heisman

Re: Fire Doherty NOW!!! Minnesota did it 3 years ago!

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:46 pm

friarwolf wrote:We're seeing signs of a team already beaten down by its coach.................

I have that fear...but let's see how they respond. I think Doh probably trashed them at the half, given the way they finished that 1st half. They played "fearfully" in that 2nd half...no question about it.

I'm on the fence right now, but really don't have a problem with the way he trashed the guys after that game. Everything he said was true. Our guys need to look inside themselves. It's a long season and I have no clue how it plays out at this point. Next week will be very interesting and should set the tone for the rest of the year.
Charleston Pony

Postby SMU91 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:50 pm

Bump for obvious reasons
SMU91
Junior Varsity

Postby SMoodyMustang » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:48 am

Doherty should be fired after a terrible coaching performance tonight. TCU went on like a 9-0 run and he wouldn't call a timeout. He is just not in sync with his guys. I think that Gillespie would do a great job, but I've also think he would be a major liability. I would look to assistant coaches from schools like Duke, where players have to select a real major as opposed to majoring in PE education. Either that or look to smaller conferences with coaches that have a proven track record of recruiting and wins.
SMoodyMustang

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball