PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

BILLY GILLESPIE...

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: BILLY GILLESPIE...

Postby jkflamebo » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:24 pm

Doesn't mean much that we were favored by a couple points. Early in the season at home against a weak big east team, the line was fairly standard and we choked it away because usf was the better team.
jkflamebo
Hall of Famer

Postby ClickClack » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:40 pm

jkflamebo wrote:Doesn't mean much that we were favored by a couple points. Early in the season at home against a weak big east team, the line was fairly standard and we choked it away because usf was the better team.

was USF a better team? probably...could we have won the game @ home? yes...should we have won the game? maybe, i dont know
ClickClack
All-American

Postby EastStang » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:14 pm

Gillespie is a good recruiter, and I think he got peter principled up to Kentucky and might be a bit more honest and humbled now. But the guy always has his eye on the next job and loyalty will not be his forte. If he came to SMU, mark my words, he'd probably break an NCAA rule just to get SMU to release him from his contract so he can go to a bigger name school if the offer came. I would have a harder time with this hire than with a guy I never heard of before, but had a great pedigree. My take, we should not hire someone out of the ACC or the PAC 10. We should hire someone young and hungry out of the SEC west or the Big XII who has recruited in Dallas and Houston. Looking at our current roster, I don't know if they just are not good players, or are under-performing. And that is something that needs to be answered when you look at who you should hire as your next coach. That said, the season isn't over and I hope that Doh turns it around.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby davidpaul123 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:40 pm

EastStang wrote:Gillespie is a good recruiter, and I think he got peter principled up to Kentucky and might be a bit more honest and humbled now. But the guy always has his eye on the next job and loyalty will not be his forte. If he came to SMU, mark my words, he'd probably break an NCAA rule just to get SMU to release him from his contract so he can go to a bigger name school if the offer came. I would have a harder time with this hire than with a guy I never heard of before, but had a great pedigree. My take, we should not hire someone out of the ACC or the PAC 10. We should hire someone young and hungry out of the SEC west or the Big XII who has recruited in Dallas and Houston. Looking at our current roster, I don't know if they just are not good players, or are under-performing. And that is something that needs to be answered when you look at who you should hire as your next coach. That said, the season isn't over and I hope that Doh turns it around.

We might want to be looking at a couple of guys on the UT or A&M staffs.
davidpaul123
Heisman

Postby PonyDoh » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:48 pm

Vegas knew nothing w/regards to us vs USF. They didn't take into account Gus Gilchrist having been off for 20 months prior to him playing last year, so they certainly didn't know he'd be an NBA big this year. Those who know the situation, knew he'd destroy us. Couple that with Jarrid Famous down low, and it was a bunk line. We had no chance on the inside vs that bought and paid for frontline.
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangklick » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:08 pm

Gillespie, even if he's only here a few years, would get us those Dallas players that everyone keeps wishing we had.

Just sayin.

Would also like to point out that he wasn't considered a "loser" at aTm, only when he started losing faith at Kentucky. Not denying anything about his personal life, I just don't think what girls that (as a bachelor) he sleeps with really matter.

He would be good to try for our program, and might be a pretty cheap coach for what he can offer (strictly speaking basketball here). Doh got people to invest, now we need to win.
mustangklick
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyDoh » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:25 pm

mustangklick wrote:Gillespie, even if he's only here a few years, would get us those Dallas players that everyone keeps wishing we had.

Just sayin.

Would also like to point out that he wasn't considered a "loser" at aTm, only when he started losing faith at Kentucky. Not denying anything about his personal life, I just don't think what girls that (as a bachelor) he sleeps with really matter.

He would be good to try for our program, and might be a pretty cheap coach for what he can offer (strictly speaking basketball here). Doh got people to invest, now we need to win.

Do you hear what you guys are suggesting? Doh wasn't considered a loser at Notre Dame, and was the hottest assistant coach in America at Kansas. He recruited up a storm to Davidson etc. Then came North Carolina, and that's his cemented legacy, not what he does here or elsewhere. Gillespie is the same guy, just w/a little more coaching success, a worse high major flame-out, and a wicked alcohol problem that stems back many many years, and always bites his employers. He's sleazy, is a very shady recruiter, and is a bad person by most accounts. How does that possibly end well?
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby abezontar » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:32 pm

PonyDoh wrote:
mustangklick wrote:Gillespie, even if he's only here a few years, would get us those Dallas players that everyone keeps wishing we had.

Just sayin.

Do you hear what you guys are suggesting? Doh wasn't considered a loser at Notre Dame, and was the hottest assistant coach in America at Kansas. He recruited up a storm to Davidson etc. Then came North Carolina, and that's his cemented legacy, not what he does here or elsewhere. Gillespie is the same guy, just w/a little more coaching success, a worse high major flame-out, and a wicked alcohol problem that stems back many many years, and always bites his employers. He's sleazy, is a very shady recruiter, and is a bad person by most accounts. How does that possibly end well?

I don't know, UTEP and TAMU don't seem that much worse off for having hired him.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby MustangStealth » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:33 pm

Admit it... you just don't want to have to change your name to PonyGil.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyDoh » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:34 pm

abezontar wrote:
PonyDoh wrote:

Just sayin.

I don't know, UTEP and TAMU don't seem that much worse off for having hired him.

and neither is worse off for him having left. UTEP isn't quite as good as they were and A&M is about to better.
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby abezontar » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:40 pm

PonyDoh wrote:
abezontar wrote:
PonyDoh wrote:

and neither is worse off for him having left. UTEP isn't quite as good as they were and A&M is about to better.

And both have recent NCAA tourneys the subsequent coach can point out to recruits as indicators of future success. Really, I think the question should be, if we hired him, who do we hire when he gets a better job? Heck, if we hired him, it may allows us to do a 2 year coaching search (beginning the day he starts) to find the right candidate to build off of the success Gillispe brought.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby papawasamustang » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:50 pm

I'm a Gillespie fan. Thought he would have been a good choice last season when I was ranting about a coaching change. Love the way he recruits DFW/Texas. However, not the right choice right now imo.
Having said that, ANYTHING is better than the present situation & it would gain national attention, but positive & neg for the program.
"We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors."
papawasamustang
Heisman

Postby mustangklick » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:55 pm

I just don't see how a "quiet hire" of some assistant will really help. I'd imagine this is a tough job to take, and you need some chutzpah and thick skin.

I like Gillespie (because of his past basketball achievements). I'm sure theres others but that guy is already getting paid, so he'd be cheap AND a big name. And maybe we would get that 8th grader (he's gotta be close to graduating).
mustangklick
Junior Varsity

Postby George S. Patton » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:55 pm

I think this job could be a little easier should June Jones gain some success, get us to a bowl and get some momentum. That would entice more aspiring heads to turn. It's not that way at IU, Butler, Duke, UNC, Kentucky or UCLA, but it may play a role.

Jones' success would reveal it can be done here.
George S. Patton

Postby EastStang » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:58 pm

As I said, Gillespie has had success in the great state of Texas. But, like Kelvin Sampson, Doug Jarvis and Nolan Richardson, he might be a bit too much of a rogue for our administration. If Orsini wants a safe choice, then a guy like those four would be just what he would want, or he stays with Doh. If he wants to go the assistant route, it would be cheaper for us and would allow us to look for a guy who can coach and recruit. Apparently, Doh can kind of recruit, but is just not a great game day coach which kind of still surprises me. Anyone who has Dean Smith's play book ought to be able to game plan for any style of play with what you have. Think back. When Carolina had Phil Ford is was a run and gun offense with the point guard as the primary option and if covered he could dish to O'Koran underneath. When Carolina had James Worthy, it was a rotation offense to set up a Worthy jumper. When Carolina had Doherty, Jordan and Perkins it was a rotation offense to spread the ball around. During all of Smith's years, Carolina was always in the hunt no matter whether it was an all freshman team or an all senior team. I don't see that with this team and I think that's what most of us were expecting from a Smith protege'. And that's what makes it so hard to watch this team. Square pegs in round holes.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball