PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

McCoy

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: McCoy

Postby papawasamustang » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:27 pm

RGV Pony wrote:I want to know why in the world we keep bringing in 2 guards who are 6' tall or shorter. We've got 3 of them.

Try 4 if u can believe that. McCoy, Williams, Clink & Walker.
Not just bad recruiting, but bad roster management.
"We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors."
papawasamustang
Heisman

Postby RGV Pony » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:41 pm

yeah, I left out Walker...
RGV Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyDoh » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:17 pm

papawasamustang wrote:
RGV Pony wrote:I want to know why in the world we keep bringing in 2 guards who are 6' tall or shorter. We've got 3 of them.

Try 4 if u can believe that. McCoy, Williams, Clink & Walker.
Not just bad recruiting, but bad roster management.

I just hate the concept of the 'lead guard' in college. Have a real PG, a killer at the 2, a light it up combo, and backup PG and SG. I don't mind playing small, but chemistry comes from everyone knowing their role. It's a mistake for SMU, as a program, to try an out-athlete diploma mills like Houston, Memphis, UTEP etc.

I think the '10 roster is a lot more balanced then '09, but it still needs more talent
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mr. pony » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:09 pm

TCU dude guarding McCoy was 6-7 freshman Garlon Green.
:shock:
TCU coach quote, from cusa-fans story:

“Guys like [McCoy},” Christian said, “if you let them get going early, it’s hard to stop them. So we put our most athletic guy [6-7 Garlon Green] on him because he’s such a key for them. Just his length, I think, maybe got to him and we were able to contain him.”

http://www.cusa-fans.com/articles/cusa- ... 20409.html
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby NastyStang » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:16 pm

mr. pony wrote:

TCU dude guarding McCoy was 6-7 freshman Garlon Green.
:shock:
TCU coach quote, from cusa-fans story:

“Guys like [McCoy},” Christian said, “if you let them get going early, it’s hard to stop them. So we put our most athletic guy [6-7 Garlon Green] on him because he’s such a key for them. Just his length, I think, maybe got to him and we were able to contain him.”

http://www.cusa-fans.com/articles/cusa- ... 20409.html

Smart on his part, get used to it McCoy. Great players see that every night and still get their's. Wonder if Doh would even think of focusing on this if the situation was flipped. Hey Doh, when scouting TCU did the guy who hit all those trey's (#21 I think) pop out in film? Probably should have had some guy attached to his waste, and not diving into the key for help D.
NastyStang
Varsity

Postby Hal » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:30 am

Every player has had a night when his shot didn't fall. Let's hope that's all it was for McCoy against Froggy High.

I saw a few games last year, and McCoy looks like an exceptionally talented young man, and he played hard every time I saw him. I'm going to assume he had a bad night the other night, or maybe wasn't feeling 100 percent — he's too good to have regressed.

And I want the Ponies to win with Coach D. But if he leaves, either by his choice or SMU's choice, I'd love to see Coach Dement back on the Hilltop.
Hal
Varsity

Postby George S. Patton » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:20 am

Probably the worst game McCoy has played in years. Bad night. He needs to show the resolve that he can rebound Monday against Texas State.

I think it's also important for him to establish himself more as a leader both on and off the court.

Your best players need to be your best players in every facet of the game.
George S. Patton

McCoy +'s and minus.

Postby clasc1 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 pm

McCoy will come back fine.. there are actually a lot of good athletes on this team and I was being a little harsh on his team mates. I have known this kid since he was in the 3rd grade and he has always been the most fierce competitor on what ever team of what ever sport he's played. I'm a little biased against Doh - I think he handed the reins to McCoy but don't feel he is the best coach to take advantage of his gifts.
I have not seen much of this team this year but last year I saw potential in Dia and even Fall just seemed like they lacked basketball experience. Williams is good and is probably just a hair less gifted that P. (Paul was all state in 3 sports and played a sport every season of every year I've known him).

Paul can do it all... tenacious defender and incredible ball handler and scorer, however far to often gets beat baseline, He should be a much better FT shooter but he has no set routine. He is a great passer most of the time but makes a lot of ill advised passes based on who he's passing to
I did see some of the highlights from the NAIA game I watched as Williams got trapped in the corner and he made no effort to come to the ball. (That happened a couple of times with different players) I feel that alot of his short comings could be easily addressed by a good coach and was hoping that the 2 new asst's "Former Guards " would help.
I was a little put off by Doh's remarks after one of the games when he put the onus on his assistants when deciding whether to stay in a zone or somethin or other that he felt was the key of the game.
What ever....

Go Pony's!!!!!.
clasc1

Postby clasc1 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:27 pm

George S. Patton wrote:Probably the worst game McCoy has played in years. Bad night. He needs to show the resolve that he can rebound Monday against Texas State.

I think it's also important for him to establish himself more as a leader both on and off the court.

Your best players need to be your best players in every facet of the game.

Totally agree!
clasc1

Re: McCoy +'s and minus.

Postby Fresh » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:36 am

clasc1 wrote:McCoy will come back fine.. there are actually a lot of good athletes on this team and I was being a little harsh on his team mates. I have known this kid since he was in the 3rd grade and he has always been the most fierce competitor on what ever team of what ever sport he's played. I'm a little biased against Doh - I think he handed the reins to McCoy but don't feel he is the best coach to take advantage of his gifts.
I have not seen much of this team this year but last year I saw potential in Dia and even Fall just seemed like they lacked basketball experience. Williams is good and is probably just a hair less gifted that P. (Paul was all state in 3 sports and played a sport every season of every year I've known him).

Paul can do it all... tenacious defender and incredible ball handler and scorer, however far to often gets beat baseline, He should be a much better FT shooter but he has no set routine. He is a great passer most of the time but makes a lot of ill advised passes based on who he's passing to
I did see some of the highlights from the NAIA game I watched as Williams got trapped in the corner and he made no effort to come to the ball. (That happened a couple of times with different players) I feel that alot of his short comings could be easily addressed by a good coach and was hoping that the 2 new asst's "Former Guards " would help.
I was a little put off by Doh's remarks after one of the games when he put the onus on his assistants when deciding whether to stay in a zone or somethin or other that he felt was the key of the game.
What ever....

Go Pony's!!!!!.

I agree. McCoy will be fine. He's as good as any player we've had in more than 20 years.
Fresh
Varsity

Previous

Return to Basketball