PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

This season just needs to rapidly implode

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: This season just needs to rapidly implode

Postby mustangklick » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:50 pm

What if you pull a scholarship for a pretty lazy student athlete?
mustangklick
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyDoh » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:16 pm

mustangklick wrote:What if you pull a scholarship for a pretty lazy student athlete?

I'm not a fan of running kids off, but if they truly aren't living up to their end of the agreement, I have no problem w/the ride being a one year renewable deal, which is technically what hoops ships are anyway.
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangklick » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:21 pm

PonyDoh wrote:
mustangklick wrote:What if you pull a scholarship for a pretty lazy student athlete?

I'm not a fan of running kids off, but if they truly aren't living up to their end of the agreement, I have no problem w/the ride being a one year renewable deal, which is technically what hoops ships are anyway.

Its better than locking him in the closet!
mustangklick
Junior Varsity

Postby ontheedgeofmyseat » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:37 pm

The kids / players deserve our support...GO Ponies!! Furthermore, support the program...it's a journey...
ontheedgeofmyseat
Heisman

Postby NickSMU17 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:40 pm

I would think the school would realize that Wins= greater donations and losses = less....

I think JJ has proven that and the school took note.

Also, it is not only for students...

"Founded in 1935, the Mustang Club is SMU’s official athletic fundraising organization. Its purpose is to provide the financial structure for SMU student-athletes to strive for excellence in the classroom and the competitive arenas. Academic support, recruiting, facility improvements and operational expenses are all key components of a successful athletic department. The Mustang Club maximizes the potential of SMU Athletics by providing for each of these critical needs. "

I am glad you support the kids, but my donation is a direct statement to the direction of the things I like in the department...I could easily split it and give more to cox as it has far outperformed our B-ball team, but after the JJ hire and the increase in desire to win football games, my donation has increased...
NickSMU17
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby EastStang » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:55 pm

This is a tough situation for the AD. You have a good class coming in, but a coach who is doing terrible at this point. Do you blow everything up and hope the kids still come, or do you suck it up for one more year? At this point my view is that we cheer the team for this year, hope it gets better and if it doesn't, than after the season, we look to see if we should blow things up or not. The coaches we'll want won't be available until after the NCAA tournament is over anyway.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby George S. Patton » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:27 pm

ontheedgeofmyseat wrote:The kids / players deserve our support...GO Ponies!! Furthermore, support the program...it's a journey...

The players are a part of the program. Unfortunately, they always are a part of the casualty list when a program is turned sideways. It was the same thing at Texas Tech when Leach was fired and Ruffin McNeill had to bridge the gap.

More importantly, you have to evaluate what is best for the future of this program. I do not agree that the future includes Matt Doherty in it beyond this season. If it is, then IMO the program will continue to suffer.

To blindly support is one thing. But the administration also has a duty to the fans and alums and to reveal to them that they are trying to take all of their sports to the next level. They have done that with football, cross country, swimming and women's basketball.

They are not doing that with men's basketball -- 38-66 in 3 1/2 seasons is not an indication that things are moving upwards.
George S. Patton

Postby Fresh » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:45 pm

EastStang wrote:This is a tough situation for the AD. You have a good class coming in, but a coach who is doing terrible at this point. Do you blow everything up and hope the kids still come, or do you suck it up for one more year? At this point my view is that we cheer the team for this year, hope it gets better and if it doesn't, than after the season, we look to see if we should blow things up or not. The coaches we'll want won't be available until after the NCAA tournament is over anyway.

Couldn't disagree more. It's not a tough situation for the AD, because he doesn't seem to care about any sports other than football, anyway. Plus, the class of recruits is signed already — they can't leave without a signed release from the AD ... if they're a bunch of world-beaters, don't give them a release, and give Coach Doherty (or his replacement, if such a move is made ... although it won't) a year to convince them why they want to stay.
Fresh
Varsity

Postby NickSMU17 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:27 pm

I thought they get automatic release with coaching change...

maybe I am wrong...
NickSMU17

Postby PonyDoh » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:20 pm

Fresh wrote:
EastStang wrote:This is a tough situation for the AD. You have a good class coming in, but a coach who is doing terrible at this point. Do you blow everything up and hope the kids still come, or do you suck it up for one more year? At this point my view is that we cheer the team for this year, hope it gets better and if it doesn't, than after the season, we look to see if we should blow things up or not. The coaches we'll want won't be available until after the NCAA tournament is over anyway.

Couldn't disagree more. It's not a tough situation for the AD, because he doesn't seem to care about any sports other than football, anyway. Plus, the class of recruits is signed already — they can't leave without a signed release from the AD ... if they're a bunch of world-beaters, don't give them a release, and give Coach Doherty (or his replacement, if such a move is made ... although it won't) a year to convince them why they want to stay.

This is correct. I get the frustration w/the program, it's game day performance etc. You'd have to be blind to not see issues. That said, how is Orsini prepared to address them, if we move on past Doh? I have no faith in him, at all, w/anything other then football. He's proven time and again that he doesn't know basketball, much less DFW grassroots hoops. The recruits are locked in, they don't get an automatic release if a coach leaves. Most schools do grant a release, however, if they meet the new coach and don't want any part of it, or don't fit in the plans. We're not done on the trail in '10 eitther. Expect another signing or two this spring. We need a PG

Is everyone here blaming Doh for McCoy sucking? Just wondering, b/c if he was playing at half the level he did as a frosh, we'd have 3 or 4 more wins, and all this talk goes away for a minute. It's not like we don't feature he and Will. If he wanted, and could make it happen, Doh wouldn't care if he went at the rack every play. He's our all-league kid, that isn't even looking at the basket. I'm beginning to think he needs a psych eval. Cue the Doh broke McCoy nonsense.
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby George S. Patton » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:53 pm

Bump because the headline on this thread is really the theme for the balance of the season.
George S. Patton

Postby Hoop Fan » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:01 pm

George S. Patton wrote:Bump because the headline on this thread is really the theme for the balance of the season.

you never want to lose a game like that. no matter who your coach is, you dont want your players experiencing that and being part of that.
Hoop Fan

Postby George S. Patton » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:13 pm

But they did and now they have to deal with it. It's not what happens when adversity hits. It's how you respond to it.
George S. Patton

Previous

Return to Basketball