PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Billy Clyde Ready For New Challenge

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Billy Clyde Ready For New Challenge

Postby PonyDoh » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:14 am

Bergermeister wrote:
PonyDoh wrote:you guys are funny. Part of the reason Gillespie was fired at Kentucky was b/c he played boring ball control hoops. He's a grind it out coach

Hello. Nothing wrong with ball control - Gillispie registers "W"s - the present regime is piling up "L"s - and the beat goes on.......

I don't disagree, but I keep hearing 'boring basketball' around here, and it's not like BCG plays run'n'gun. All I care about is winning and recruiting, so no complaints from me, but it's not pretty
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:03 am

Turner should have overruled Orsini and brought in Evans as a nice bridge hire 4 years ago. In a perfect world, Evans could have coached 4 or 5 years, gotten us some stability back, and then helped his buddy Turner pick a young, personable, energetic head coach to take it forward. Said it over and over at the time. Definitely couldn't have done any worse than we have done on the court the past 3 and 1/2 years and we would be on a better footing in Dallas. Probably too late for Evans now.

I'm not a Gillespie fan or hater either, but everybody gets a second or third chance in America. If he is sober, I have an open mind, hard call though.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Nacho » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:40 pm

bcg is to basketball as jj is to football.

a&m did not win a single conference game before bcg arrived. some of his players are seniors now. they will be going to their fourth straight ncaa tournament. the guy can flat out recruit and coach. if uofh gets him they will become a powerhouse.
Nacho

Postby RGV Pony » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:56 pm

Nacho wrote:bcg is to basketball as jj is to football.

a&m did not win a single conference game before bcg arrived. some of his players are seniors now. they will be going to their fourth straight ncaa tournament. the guy can flat out recruit and coach. if uofh gets him they will become a powerhouse.

hard to argue with you there. That said, the irony of one part of the article warrants a mission. Clyde didnt appease the biggest boosters in Lexington...Doh's evidently pretty good at it. BDE mentioned that the 'biggest bball booster' SMU has is pro-Doh; Clyde was run out of town by one of if not the biggest booster around Lexington.
RGV Pony

Postby mustangxc » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:51 pm

I have to disagree with the JJ comparison. JJ came here fresh off a BCS appearance after a 9 year tenure at Hawaii. BCG would be coming here after having been fired from his last job where he spent 2 seasons and having jumped ship from 2 previous jobs after 2 and 3 seasons there respectively. While he was very successful at the previous 2 stops, he does not bring program stability which is quite apparent with JJ. Not trying to put down BCG, just don't want to take anything taken away from JJ either. For the record, I am satisfied with MD's progress this season and would prefer the stability of keeping him, but if a change is made I would not be opposed to hiring BCG. I really can't think of many people that I think would do a better job and would be interested in coming here. If I were the AD and made a move, I would definitely add a huge buyout to the contract virtually making his tenure here free of charge for SMU if he were to move on to another program. Seems fair enough to me given his past transgressions.
mustangxc

Postby ponydawg » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:48 am

Was talking to my dad who went to UH, he said people at UH are already talking like the BG to UH is pretty much a done deal, but he followed it up with it is all talk until he actually lands somewhere. If SO wants BG, guess he needs to act fast.
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Balatro Diabolus Ex » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:44 am

RGV- I think it's both, Turner has always wanted Evans, but Gillespies baggage and recent history worry him.

For what its worth Gillespie was at a high school event in Dallas last weekend, and he seemed very popular with the AAU coaching set. There were alot of people who wanted to get close to him, wanted him to look at their kids, etc. When someone asked him about the SMU job, he seemed non-committal, "That's still Matt Doherty's job". He looks like he's getting ready to come back to coaching, re-establishing contacts and evaluating players, etc, but no real inidications of where.

Interestingly, Fran Fraschilla was also there, slapping alot of backs and shaking alot of hands. He had the look of a guy who wanted to get back into the game.
Balatro Diabolus Ex
All-American

Postby PonyDoh » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:12 am

Balatro Diabolus Ex wrote:RGV- I think it's both, Turner has always wanted Evans, but Gillespies baggage and recent history worry him.

For what its worth Gillespie was at a high school event in Dallas last weekend, and he seemed very popular with the AAU coaching set. There were alot of people who wanted to get close to him, wanted him to look at their kids, etc. When someone asked him about the SMU job, he seemed non-committal, "That's still Matt Doherty's job". He looks like he's getting ready to come back to coaching, re-establishing contacts and evaluating players, etc, but no real inidications of where.

Interestingly, Fran Fraschilla was also there, slapping alot of backs and shaking alot of hands. He had the look of a guy who wanted to get back into the game.

Thanks for the tidbit. Coaches live at events, X. No doubt Clyde has his supporters in the local basketball community, though.
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyscott » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:03 pm

Wow can we let this rest!..Doh is not going anywhere anytime soon, right or wrong. SMU can't afford the buyout and he will have made improvement from last year and his recruiting efforts have stepped up with dividends on the horizon. There is no boring Basketball when you are a basketball fan AND when your team is winning. We seem to be on the right track and what occured in the past , is just that, in the past. The entrance requirements have been relaxed over the past few years and the new facilities are a big factor and we will see improvement, but to continuilly bring up BCG is un-informed BS.
ponyscott

Postby angryfan04 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:35 pm

what is bs is that doh can't be fired.....anybody can be fired....
angryfan04
Varsity

Postby ontheedgeofmyseat » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:54 pm

Doh is going to be here for some time..seems to be turning things. Can't imagine we would hire Foster Brooks to coach hoops here, please.....
ontheedgeofmyseat
Heisman

Postby ponyscott » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:15 pm

angryfan04 wrote:what is bs is that doh can't be fired.....anybody can be fired....

You haven't been reading up on all if this..of course anyone can get fired. For good reason, but this program is on the rise with recruits and a 500 record or thereabouts. He is not getting fired.
ponyscott

Postby angryfan04 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:39 am

right the program is on the rise.....after back to back 20 loss seasons how can it not be on the rise.....this program had nowhere to go but up.....it takes this coach 4 seasons to find a system? he hasn't won anything here and can be fired
angryfan04
Varsity

Postby Bergermeister » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:59 am

angryfan04 wrote:right the program is on the rise.....after back to back 20 loss seasons how can it not be on the rise.....this program had nowhere to go but up.....it takes this coach 4 seasons to find a system? he hasn't won anything here and can be fired

Heck, I wouldn't mind pulling down $450,000.00 per year while trying to find a "system". And not even having to break even. Four years of losing and job security to boot? Can't beat that! I am not paying the man's salary; I just purchase a ticket. If the Daddy Warbucks, who is paying Doherty, is happy with this quagmire of a program - more power to him. I suppose the trial-and-error process is endless.
Bergermeister

Postby CalallenStang » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:27 am

LMAO at the lack of new, intelligent arguments for firing Doh. If you're going to fire a man, you fire him before he starts to find success, not after. Fact is Doh has good traction now and shouldn't be held responsible for the fact that Orsini didn't fire him at the end of last year.
CalallenStang

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball