PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Buzz Williams?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Buzz Williams?

Postby mustangnation » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:55 pm

Didnt i say something about this a couple of weeks ago on teh realistic coaching thread as a ideal fit for SMU and was completely dismissed? Made sense then and still makes sense. Only hurdle is money and it's there for the right guy
mustangnation
Varsity

Postby Digetydog » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:59 pm

SMU 86 wrote:
skyscraper wrote:She's a journalist, she doesn't work for SMU. Not sure why people think she would sit on info if she can get it confirmed.
Understand why fans would be irritated if this stuff gets out, but don't understand why people think she has an obligation to keep quiet about it considering her job is to find this kind of stuff out.

I think she was asked to keep it quiet, that's why.

She doesn't work for SMU. Why would she keep it quiet? The dmn pays her to break news.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Comet » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:16 pm

Digetydog wrote:
SMU 86 wrote:
skyscraper wrote:She's a journalist, she doesn't work for SMU. Not sure why people think she would sit on info if she can get it confirmed.
Understand why fans would be irritated if this stuff gets out, but don't understand why people think she has an obligation to keep quiet about it considering her job is to find this kind of stuff out.

She doesn't work for SMU. Why would she keep it quiet? The dmn pays her to break news.

Maybe her source asked her to keep it quiet. And if she wants to keep getting info, it would have been to her benefit to comply. Just speculating though.
Comet
Hall of Famer

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:17 pm

Digetydog wrote:
SMU 86 wrote:

b/c she's being fed and doesn't have her own sources. They tell her to sit tight on this one, and they'll give her the next big scoop that isn't as sensitive. She keeps her sources in tact, they keep the DMN in their pocket for matters they want publicized.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gostangs » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:25 pm

Hoop - love ya, but this is your own fault. What is the upside to SMU or an SMU fan of having ANY interaction with Kate. Shut her out until we have this think locked down. You dont have to worry about her saying or not saying anything if she never knows.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mitch McConnell » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:40 pm

If SMU's search is predicated on betting it all on Buzz Williams then it's an unorthodox approach. I doubt that's the case.

As for Buzz, he can downplay and most arrogant media will probably consider it mostly nonsense. That may work in SMU's favor -- just like the Jones thing did.
Mitch McConnell
Hall of Famer

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:09 pm

gostangs wrote:Hoop - love ya, but this is your own fault. What is the upside to SMU or an SMU fan of having ANY interaction with Kate. Shut her out until we have this think locked down. You dont have to worry about her saying or not saying anything if she never knows.

I didn't tell her anything, not a whisper of the names being considered. For all she knew, I didn't know the name. That said, she steals from me all the time, so she prob thought I knew, and got tourettes. This wasn't a matter of me leaking to her, cause I would never ever tell her any names. It was a matter of her not holding her tongue on a name she got from the university itself

Now, I agree that I shouldn't have pushed her, but she's the one who pulled the trigger on the name, not me
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Bergermeister » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:35 pm

skyscraper wrote: But if it's supposed to be secret, then keep it secret.

There is no such thing anymore. A "secret" is something from a bygone era. "Three people can keep a secret if two of them are dead." Benjamin Franklin
Bergermeister

Postby SMUer » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:42 pm

SMU AD info seems pretty lock-tight to me. I can't remember a single story coming out that appeared SMU-leaked. June hire, Big East, June Loves ASU...all seemed to come from East Coast/National media sources.
SMUer

Postby EastStang » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:09 pm

In today's environment, where ever there is a coach, there's an agent looking to make a commission either on an extension (renegotiation) or a switch. Don't forget what Leigh Steinberg did for us last fall when he leaked the story about ASU and June Jones. Buzz may want some Buzz to get Marquette to pony up some bigger dough. And for the record, I would be a little bit surprised if our entry into the BE included stealing a coach from a fellow conference member or bidding up his services. And yeah, I know Orsini came from UCF to SMU.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby ponydawg » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:10 pm

http://deadspin.com/5888238/marquette-c ... nights-win

Video is only a minute long....pretty funny to see the WVU fans sooooo mad.

"Marquette Coach Buzz Williams Flirted With Death By Dancing In Front Of WVU Students After Last Night’s Win"
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:31 pm

EastStang wrote:In today's environment, where ever there is a coach, there's an agent looking to make a commission either on an extension (renegotiation) or a switch. Don't forget what Leigh Steinberg did for us last fall when he leaked the story about ASU and June Jones. Buzz may want some Buzz to get Marquette to pony up some bigger dough. And for the record, I would be a little bit surprised if our entry into the BE included stealing a coach from a fellow conference member or bidding up his services. And yeah, I know Orsini came from UCF to SMU.

You aren't seeing the big picture w/Buzz. He doesn't like Milwaukee or the new AD. He and his family want back to Texas. They were very upset when A&M couldn't get him out of Wisconsin etc. He may use SMU as leverage, not saying he won't, but this isn't just based on paying him more. The guy is a Texan.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Digetydog » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:36 pm

Comet wrote:Maybe her source asked her to keep it quiet. And if she wants to keep getting info, it would have been to her benefit to comply. Just speculating though.

If her source leaked on condition of her keeping it quiet, she should be fired for writing about it.

She is a professional and probably has lots of sources. While some of them probably wanted things kept off the record, she probably had multiple sources who didn't care if it leaked early or who might of wanted it leaked.

Unlike Laken, who openly roots for UT and seems to gloat when bad news happens to SMU, Kate gives us the good and the bad. I can live with that.

BTW:
1) If you want to kill the deal, leaking it to the DMN is probably a good start.
2) Some people are always kissing up to reporters and cannot keep their mouths shut.
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponydawg » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:37 pm

Article from last year when aTm couldn't land him. You'd think we could cover that.....easy for me to say since it isn't my money or budget.

"The Aggies reportedly would have had to pay $2.6 million to buy Williams out of his contract with Marquette, and though Texas A&M is willing to pay a lot for a head coach, they likely weren’t willing to pay THAT much plus fork over a new contract."
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Digetydog » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:40 pm

hoopmanx wrote:The guy is a Texan.

If you are a Texan, you want to go home. The day after I retire, I will load up the furniture and head back to Big D.

If we can make him a "good" deal, we might have a shot.
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball