PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Thoughts on TCU loss

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Thoughts on TCU loss

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:42 pm

My main thought when sitting back after that abysmal performance: why didn’t we apply pressure on them more often. They were turnover vending machine. We saw it what around end of the 1st half and 2nd half. Why not throughout the game. It’s crazy that we also had the lead and could not apply pressure and instead committed unforced turnovers.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony81 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:42 pm

TCU played and shot out of their minds. Unconscious. They are good.
Shake just disappeared in key stretches..... that will hurt his draft stock.
I thought at the beginning of the season that Jamal would be a luxury now I’m seeing him as a necessity.
With Jamal Elijah and William play only mop up duty with Shake and Jimmy getting more rest throughout the game.
We will be OK .... still think we go to the Tournament....and the win a game
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby Pony_Law » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:44 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:My main thought when sitting back after that abysmal performance: why didn’t we apply pressure on them more often. They were turnover vending machine. We saw it what around end of the 1st half and 2nd half. Why not throughout the game. It’s crazy that we also had the lead and could not apply pressure and instead committed unforced turnovers.

Foul trouble. Pretty much every problem smu had tonight (with the exception of missing wide open threes) stemmed from foul trouble.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby skyscraper » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:45 pm

None of our three losses are bad. Win out in nonconference and we will be in nice shape going into AAC play.
skyscraper
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony ^ » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:46 pm

Some very questionable calls + tcu not missing a thing was recipe for disaster.

On another note, TCU fans seemed afraid to cheer. Quiet for 95% of the game
Last edited by Pony ^ on Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pony ^

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:47 pm

skyscraper wrote:None of our three losses are bad. Win out in nonconference and we will be in nice shape going into AAC play.

Maybe assuming Zona (which did great) and USC get rolling. I think TCU will be taken out back and beat to death by its conference foes. Outside of ridiculous % shooting, they looked extremely sloppy.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony_Law » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:49 pm

I agree, credit to TCu thy made their shots tonight, but they are mid pack big 12 team. Perfect storm of things happened for them to beat us.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony ^ » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:53 pm

Last edited by Pony ^ on Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pony ^

Postby SMU Section F » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:01 am

Pony_Law wrote:...they are mid pack big 12 team.

Even if this is true, the Big 12 is pretty damn good this year.

I just can't wait to get them back inside Moody. (Though honestly I'd like our team to stop relying on that quite so much...)
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:04 am

Honestly from watching it, if you took away the purple color from the seats and the terrible advertisements for TCU and that awful halftime show, it really look like a neutral site game. Felt like whoever scored a basket was cheering. Definitely heard the SMU chant but really only when we went on that’s run to take the lead.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:02 am

1. They’re a good team who shot lights out tonight...not going to win many games on the road when your opponent seemingly can’t miss. Jamie Dixon is unsurprisingly doing a great job there and this will be a big rivalry game for years to come.

2. Defensively we did not play SMU basketball tonight...dumb fouls and lots of open looks for the Frogs. And we lost the battle on the glass...despite not having as talented of bigs as USC and Arizona, I thought TCU’s size gave us more trouble than either of those games

3. Shake better hope the NBA scouts were watching another game tonight- not his best performance; a very quiet 18 and 9.

4. Jarrey was our MVP tonight...great stat line for him.

5. Foul trouble. Damn. Whitt only played 16 minutes tonight (and still had 12 pts and 3 assists); I think this would’ve been a much different game if he’d played 25-30 minutes. Also in the 2nd half when everyone had 3-4 fouls TCU just went to work knowing they could get easy looks inside.

6. Related to the foul trouble, the bench play is not good. We knew there would be growing pains having to rely on four freshmen right away, but I’ve seen flashes from Douglas and I think he’s got a bright future, and Ray to a lesser extent as well. Offensively Landrum was about as effective as one of our women’s players would be out there tonight, I think he’s shooting around 20% from the field so far this season. He’s scrappy defensively but at 5-10 or whatever he is, teams are going to exploit his size. I hope Agau’s problem is just conditioning and recovery from the knee issue, as he provides little to no value at this point besides eating up minutes and fouls when Chargois inevitably gets in foul trouble. McMurray will be a welcome addition to say the least.

7. Speaking of Chargois, another awesome offensive game from him...once he gets his body right and learns how to play some D he’s going to be a bonafide star. He’s already pretty darn good.

8. They spent how much to renovate that arena? It was unimpressive to put it nicely. The concourses are spacious, and that’s about it. Just another boring bowl arena that is an awful design for basketball. That honestly felt like a neutral site game for much of the night.

9. No reason to panic, although it sucks losing to a rival. We’ve got two quality OOC wins against Arizona and USC and an opportunity for another one vs Boise in Moody in two weeks. If we take care of business in conference and finish top-4, we should be fine for another tourney bid come March.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby oilpony » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:13 am

Tip of the hat to tcu. They were they better team tonight. The Star Wars theme through out the game though was bush league. The crowd seem to be confused or have no interest in the Star Wars theme promotion or whatever it was
oilpony
All-American

Postby sadderbudweiser » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:23 am

PonyTime wrote:We do get to add a pure shooter as of tomorrow...hope it helps

I think we are still a week or so away. But it can’t be soon enough.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby sadderbudweiser » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:25 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:1. They’re a good team who shot lights out tonight...not going to win many games on the road when your opponent seemingly can’t miss. Jamie Dixon is unsurprisingly doing a great job there and this will be a big rivalry game for years to come.

2. Defensively we did not play SMU basketball tonight...dumb fouls and lots of open looks for the Frogs. And we lost the battle on the glass...despite not having as talented of bigs as USC and Arizona, I thought TCU’s size gave us more trouble than either of those games

3. Shake better hope the NBA scouts were watching another game tonight- not his best performance; a very quiet 18 and 9.

4. Jarrey was our MVP tonight...great stat line for him.

5. Foul trouble. Damn. Whitt only played 16 minutes tonight (and still had 12 pts and 3 assists); I think this would’ve been a much different game if he’d played 25-30 minutes. Also in the 2nd half when everyone had 3-4 fouls TCU just went to work knowing they could get easy looks inside.

6. Related to the foul trouble, the bench play is not good. We knew there would be growing pains having to rely on four freshmen right away, but I’ve seen flashes from Douglas and I think he’s got a bright future, and Ray to a lesser extent as well. Offensively Landrum was about as effective as one of our women’s players would be out there tonight, I think he’s shooting around 20% from the field so far this season. He’s scrappy defensively but at 5-10 or whatever he is, teams are going to exploit his size. I hope Agau’s problem is just conditioning and recovery from the knee issue, as he provides little to no value at this point besides eating up minutes and fouls when Chargois inevitably gets in foul trouble. McMurray will be a welcome addition to say the least.

7. Speaking of Chargois, another awesome offensive game from him...once he gets his body right and learns how to play some D he’s going to be a bonafide star. He’s already pretty darn good.

8. They spent how much to renovate that arena? It was unimpressive to put it nicely. The concourses are spacious, and that’s about it. Just another boring bowl arena that is an awful design for basketball. That honestly felt like a neutral site game for much of the night.

9. No reason to panic, although it sucks losing to a rival. We’ve got two quality OOC wins against Arizona and USC and an opportunity for another one vs Boise in Moody in two weeks. If we take care of business in conference and finish top-4, we should be fine for another tourney bid come March.

You nailed it. Spot on.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby jimhagle » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:25 am

We were coming off an emotionally and physically draining win over SC and of course TCU was coming off another creme puff win so it is no surprise the freshest team won. That said TCU is improved this year and we are still trying to mesh this together. Early on the refs were calling touch fouls and made it tough on us and thankfully they stopped doing so as the game progressed. Shake and Ben were way off and that hurt and TCU was on fire from 3. Chargrois is going to be really good and Landrum has miles to go to be a player. Douglas should have played more if for no other reason to give the starters more rest. Still we hung with them till the end so that says a lot about us. We need to recruit more size in the post and it showed again last night too.
jimhagle
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball