PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Who Should be SMU's next coach?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

new coach

Postby mustangbandito » Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:50 pm

how about steve lavin?? he knows how to take a team to the big dance. as soon as he left ucla he was on my mind as a possible replacement.
mustangbandito

Postby BigEasyPony » Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:41 pm

Lavin will be the next HC at UNLV. He's going to stay out West. He can still land a high profile job and that won't be SMU.

The reason I like Doherty is that he really has something to prove. The way he was ushered out of UNC was tough. He has to prove that he's not the coach some people think he is. He's a heckuva coach who was put in a very difficult situation at UNC and he didn't know how to deal with effectively enough. Well, a job like SMU would be a chance for him to redeem himself. He can recruit and he's great with X's and O's and he can't afford to take a hit like he did at UNC or his HC days would be over.
BigEasyPony
Junior Varsity

Postby Pony_Fan » Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:14 am

Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

No way on Sutton

Postby Lawgrad » Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:13 pm

Why in the world would the Ponies even consider hiring someone who is going to leave in 2 to 3 years at the most? The fact is that he will be put in as the next coach at OSU when his Dad retires, and let's face, Coach Sutton is not getting any younger.
Lawgrad
Scout Team

Postby Stallion » Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:22 pm

I'd have to agree 100%. If he is the success we'd like-he will follow his Dad to OSU-if he is not then we shouldn't have hired him in the first place.
Stallion

Postby gostangs » Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:31 pm

Who cares if we think he is going to leave - anyone who has success is going to leave anyway - we are not a final destination program - and won't be for some time.

Hire the best coach to have us winning as soon as possible - the rest will work itself out.
gostangs

Postby DickerJames » Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:37 pm

Right on gostangs. We just fininshed 9 years of stability with a coach that had no other options. If we are fortunate enough to hire a winner, he will parlay his success for a bigger and brighter stage. Tulsa became a pretty good basketball program being used as a stepping stone. UTEP is probably going to lose Gilispe this year or the next to a BCS school with deep pockets, and they are the only game in town playing in front of sold out crowds. It even happens to the BCS schools.
DickerJames
All-American

Re:

Postby Dooby » Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:20 am

Stallion wrote:I'd have to agree 100%. If he is the success we'd like-he will follow his Dad to OSU-if he is not then we shouldn't have hired him in the first place.

Idiocy. You go get the best candidate available. Any coach that has great success here is still going to listen to other offers. I will cross that bridge when I get there. Hire the best candidate available regardless.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

ESPN analyst comment on Saturday

Postby smupony94 » Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:36 am

Mentioned SMU hiring American University coach Jeff Jones because of prior relationship to Copeland.

http://www.american.edu/athletics/mbb/r ... ff_bio.htm
smupony94

Postby Water Pony » Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:52 am

My suggestion is Joe Scott of Air Force. Princeton connections, character counts, disciplined, success in a challenging situation, etc.

Difficult to recruit but worth it.

http://airforcesports.ocsn.com/sports/m ... index.html
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:05 pm

Joe Scott would be a great choice but he may already be out of our league. Don't be surprised if he is one of the finalist for national coach of the year. The job he has done at Air Force is nothing short of remarkable.
LA_Mustang

Postby EastStang » Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:24 pm

Jones had several great recruiting classes at Virginia, but the knock was that he couldn't win with them once they got there. I think we have a pretty good nucleus that can go places next year. We need a coach who knows how to coach. I would not favor Jones for that reason. Also, if he chased UVa. cheerleaders, he would definitely be tempted at SMU. I like Sutton. I still like Jarvis despite his bringing in kids who hire strippers. He knows how to coach talent. If Bobby Knight can get rehired with his history, Jarvis should be given a long look if he would come. Tubbs certainly should be given a long look. I suspect that no one will be hired until the season is over. There may be some candidates that will be available after the dance. We want guys who are there or have been there. I want someone who can take these guys that are already here to the next level. I am not sure that Doherty would be able to do that. Although SMU would certainly be an easier gig than UNC because we don't have Dean Smith to compare him to.
EastStang

Re: ESPN analyst comment on Saturday

Postby smupony94 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:17 pm

smupony94 wrote:Mentioned SMU hiring American University coach Jeff Jones because of prior relationship to Copeland.

http://www.american.edu/athletics/mbb/r ... ff_bio.htm

My very first post and had to do with hiring a new basketball coach
smupony94

Re: Who Should be SMU's next coach?

Postby Junior » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:37 pm

Turner Gill is not available, in case anyone was wondering.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Re: Who Should be SMU's next coach?

Postby indianmustang » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:56 am

maybe isiah thomas
Mustang from India
indianmustang

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball