PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU basketball

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby mrydel » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:35 am

For some reason unknown to me, Gillespie loves Arkansas. A few years ago he stated it was his dream job. He may have changed his mind, but the Arkies all are screaming for him to come and it appears there is interest.
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby friarwolf » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:54 pm

I doubt if Arkansas is big enough to get Billy out of A&M. He'll use them to squeeze some more money out of the Aggies. Then the "most eligible batchelor" will have some more disposable income to stuff in those oh so light loafers.............
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby Bergermeister » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:05 pm

This is a really, really stupid "subject". Doherty and Tubbs. Apples and oranges.
Bergermeister

Postby The XtC » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:27 pm

[quote="MustangIcon"]I truely am amazed at anyone who cannot see that our team was bare when Doherty took over and expected anything at all this season. [/quote]

Wow, you're an amazing guy. I cant help but wonder, do you remember making this post?

"Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:18 am
Looks like the sky wasn't falling afterall. My bet still stands and I will raise the bar saying MD will get us at least 3 more conference wins next year in spite of the loss of Hop and potential transfers.

Any takers now?"

I remember it. I remember you putting something similar in almost every post you made for a few days, constantly carrying on about "Why wont anyone take my bet"? Blah, blah, blah, until I accepted. It looks like someone was expecting something from this season. Are you still amazed at everyone else, now?

Dont worry, I'm not going to ask you to pay off. I don't want your beer.
Try not to choke on the Kool-Aid.
The XtC
Heisman

Postby MustangIcon » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:36 pm

The XtC wrote: Dont worry, I'm not going to ask you to pay off. I don't want your beer.

I'd be glad to buy you that beer actually- good excuse to get together with SMU fans, even if it does involve paying off a lost bet. A little background info though:

The time of my original post was when SMU had fired Tubbs and had yet to hire a replacement. Posters were rabidly complaining that no good coach would take this job bc we ran Tubbs off. His firing would set our program back years. Everything was doom and gloom for SMU basketball and it would be that way for a long time because of this terrible error in judgment on our part. I posted a bet saying that in spite of our losses and lack of talent we would finish no worse than we did last season with 4 CUSA wins. No one took it and I upped it to 3 more than last season (7). Since things shaped up before the start of this season I have posted numerous times that I predicted 6 CUSA wins and have very consistent with that.

I don't think that means I expected a lot out of this season. I expected to be a team lacking in talent that would achieve a little more than they should based on coaching. However, 6-10 is still very poor and to me would be defined as expecting a bad season. As it turns out in addition to our lack of ability we also played undermanned due to suspension and injury rather regularly. The team will finish CUSA more poorly than I expected, but either truly would have been poor.

In any event I think good things are happening with SMU basketball and I very much so believe in Doherty. I think we will be fielding a good team next year and an extremely good team the following year. Still very excited about the direction of SMU basketball.
MustangIcon
Hall of Famer

Postby DickerJames » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:38 pm

MustangIcon wrote:The time of my original post was when SMU had fired Tubbs and had yet to hire a replacement.

I don't have a dog in this hunt, but I am confused how you can say you wrote the post before we hired a coach, when you used our new coach as a reason for improvement.
DickerJames
All-American

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:13 pm

even the biggest Doherty fan has to admit he was not able to do anything with this team this year. Like any coach, he deserves much more time, but this season is what it is. Collapse at the end and no enthusiasm on the floor or in the stands. Save the excuses because alot of you said this group should have been more competitive all along if it had a "better" coach. Funny how people change their tune to fit their agendas or perceptions. Just like last year, its a team that can't put the ball in the basket.
Hoop Fan

Postby Blunt Pony » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:59 am

Hoop Fan wrote:even the biggest Doherty fan has to admit he was not able to do anything with this team this year. Like any coach, he deserves much more time, but this season is what it is. Collapse at the end and no enthusiasm on the floor or in the stands. Save the excuses because alot of you said this group should have been more competitive all along if it had a "better" coach. Funny how people change their tune to fit their agendas or perceptions. Just like last year, its a team that can't put the ball in the basket.

I will agree with you here. We simply have less talent on the floor than almost any team we play.
Blunt Pony
Varsity

Postby Treadway21 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:28 pm

Not that close counts, but we lost 5 conference games on the last possession. It doesn't help not having a guy to go to for the last shot. If we had pulled at least some of those off, the season would look at least a little different.

Collapse at the end and no enthusiasm on the floor or in the stands. Save the excuses because alot of you said this group should have been more competitive all along if it had a "better" coach.

I don't have time to pull all the old posts, but I don't remember anyone having illusions that this season wouldn't be anything other than difficult. Most were wondering who was going to score with BHop gone. Just recognizing that Ike could play was important. While Doherty couldn't pull off a miracle and make this team better recordwise, he has definitely improved the propects of the basketball program overall.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Previous

Return to Basketball