PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Doh

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Doh

Postby papawasamustang » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:51 am

You guys are making some very good points.

What I see is a O system that doesn't match the personnel.
Our guards have looked uncomfortable from day 1 of last season trying to run the offense the Doh wants them to run. Forget the guards, the whole team looks uncomfortable. It just takes a few minutes in Moody this year or last to understand what I'm talking about.

What I would love to see is a pressing D & up tempo, run & gun O. (see Mizzou aka Nolan Richardson style).
Create easy baskets off your pressing D. Vital for a team that has trouble scoring.
Take the chains off & let the boys show off their skills & have some fun.

Yes, there will be TO's & it will be sloppy at times. But isn't that what we are seeing in this
control freak environment we play in now? Set them free!
"We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors."
papawasamustang
Heisman

Postby George S. Patton » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:08 pm

papawasamustang wrote:You guys are making some very good points.

What I see is a O system that doesn't match the personnel.
Our guards have looked uncomfortable from day 1 of last season trying to run the offense the Doh wants them to run. Forget the guards, the whole team looks uncomfortable. It just takes a few minutes in Moody this year or last to understand what I'm talking about.

What I would love to see is a pressing D & up tempo, run & gun O. (see Mizzou aka Nolan Richardson style).
Create easy baskets off your pressing D. Vital for a team that has trouble scoring.
Take the chains off & let the boys show off their skills & have some fun.

Yes, there will be TO's & it will be sloppy at times. But isn't that what we are seeing in this
control freak environment we play in now? Set them free!

Didn't we hear in the offseason we were going to go with an up-tempo game because he had the players to do it?
George S. Patton

Postby papawasamustang » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:15 pm

Its been the pitch to both fans & recruits for awhile now.

Its entertaining for the fans & the players love the style.

You just have to have a coach thats willing to sit back & let the players play instead of dictating
every move they make.

Not the start that I was looking for but its still early.
"We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors."
papawasamustang
Heisman

Postby George S. Patton » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:21 pm

With Doherty, you always wait for the other shoe to drop. In other words, what he says and what he does are two different things.

BTW, does he still have his radio show starting up in December of did Ten's decide it was no longer worth it?
George S. Patton

Postby PonyDoh » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:57 pm

I agree w/Papa. If we're going small, might as well pressure the ball, and make it an open court game. Playing half court and dropping into a 2/3 zone, w/our personnel, seems somewhat flawed
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby FriscoPMG » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:33 pm

George S. Patton wrote:With Doherty, you always wait for the other shoe to drop. In other words, what he says and what he does are two different things.

BTW, does he still have his radio show starting up in December of did Ten's decide it was no longer worth it?

Not sure of the reason, but pretty sure the radio show has been canned. Plenty of assumptions can be made, but again, I don't know the reason...only heard that it was no longer...
FriscoPMG
All-American

Postby friarwolf » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:44 pm

I would love to see us play an up-tempo press defense but we have a fundamental problem. The players have to be committed to it and they aren't. The couple of times we have tried it have been disastrous. Why? Our best two offensive players, Williams and McCoy are classic offensive players who don't want to waste their legs playing defense and, our bigs can't step up and stop the penetration when the opposing guards break the press.............
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby papawasamustang » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:49 pm

friarwolf wrote:I would love to see us play an up-tempo press defense but we have a fundamental problem. The players have to be committed to it and they aren't. The couple of times we have tried it have been disastrous. Why? Our best two offensive players, Williams and McCoy are classic offensive players who don't want to waste their legs playing defense and, our bigs can't step up and stop the penetration when the opposing guards break the press.............

I understand both sides of the fence re: this discussion very well & feel this team has enough talent to pull it off. I also understand the chances of Doh changing his style is probably 0.
You have to be committed to the style of play & it doesn't appear that Captain Hook is even though the uptempo comments have been numerous over his 4 years.

It would be very entertaining for the fans. All 800 of us.
papawasamustang
Heisman

Postby PonyDoh » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:52 pm

friarwolf wrote:I would love to see us play an up-tempo press defense but we have a fundamental problem. The players have to be committed to it and they aren't. The couple of times we have tried it have been disastrous. Why? Our best two offensive players, Williams and McCoy are classic offensive players who don't want to waste their legs playing defense and, our bigs can't step up and stop the penetration when the opposing guards break the press.............

This is quite true. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. OTOH, playing uptempo, fastbreaking, and getting easy buckets, tends to inspire better effort. I agree though, if they didn't buy in fast, it'll just lead to opposing kids spotting up all over the place , mostly in transition, and get us shot out of the building.
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby George S. Patton » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:57 pm

If they were going to do this, they should have started working on it in the offseason last year, through the summer leagues and then turn it up in September and try to polish in October.

The time to commit to was last spring. It's too late now.
George S. Patton

Postby papawasamustang » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:05 pm

George S. Patton wrote:If they were going to do this, they should have started working on it in the offseason last year, through the summer leagues and then turn it up in September and try to polish in October.

The time to commit to was last spring. It's too late now.

Just wishful thinking on my part.
papawasamustang
Heisman

Postby PonyDoh » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Shouldn't the truth be in the middle. Given the personnel on this squad, we SHOULD run when appropriate. Also, Doh used to have a nice secondary break, even in the bleak years at Carolina, so it's strange we've seen none of that.

It's strange that the team doesn't have much continuity, b/c recruiting is really starting to come together. Most of the roster holes we're discussing, theoretically, have been addressed in the '10 class. Also, I like what we're trying to do in '11 already.
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby George S. Patton » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:08 pm

Here's a truth that doesn't need to be in the middle. Doherty is a jerk and if this team doesn't reach .500 overall and .500 in conference play, he should be fired the day after the season ends.
George S. Patton

Postby ponyscott » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:25 am

Fastbreaking and pressing,trapping always leads to a somewhat sloppy looking game and could lead to victories for us------- BUT Doh wouldn't look like HE was in control of the game and the flow.....
ponyscott
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony Up » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:44 am

George S. Patton wrote:Here's a truth that doesn't need to be in the middle. Doherty is a jerk and if this team doesn't reach .500 overall and .500 in conference play, he should be fired the day after the season ends.

Calling him "a jerk" makes you sound like a whiny baby, and I seriously doubt he gets fired. Finances suggest he'll get at least one more year.
Proud to be a PonyFan
Pony Up
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball