PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Still Baffled...lets take a closer look

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Still Baffled...lets take a closer look

Postby PoconoPony » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:52 pm

angryfan04 wrote:Forget comparing doh's coaching style with JJ's. JJ knows football; doh doesn't know basketball. We would be OK if doh just had a little bit of Dean Smith's knowledge - just a little bit, but he doesn't. He conned us.

I totally disagree with you that Doh does not know basketball. He absolutely does know basketball. The problem, in my opinion, lies with his own personality and people skills as it relates to the art of teaching,inspiring and instilling confidence . Some of the greatest athletes in the world are/have been poor or disasters as coaches. Not because of their lack of knowledge of the sport, but rather, because they lack the personal skills to communicate, teach, inspire, adapt, relate to less talented people....etc. Some of these elements are currently missing with the SMU program.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Still Baffled...lets take a closer look

Postby mustangklick » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:52 pm

I'm lost. Why is Dean Smith overrated? The dude had like one losing season. That's like people calling Phil Jackson overrated. Dude has had good players, but he's still a good coach.

I think Doh probably knows a lot about basketball, and he is quite charming (let's face it, he has done a lot for the program irregardless of wins). However, I still have yet to see his players (other than maybe Killen) really grasp the game.

The buyout in a recession might be a bit nasty, but, being impatient, I can't say I wouldn't mind (given a 10 win season or similar suckiness). If we go .500+, I'd be superhappyfuntime for Doh, so whatever.
mustangklick
Junior Varsity

Previous

Return to Basketball