PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Who would replace Coach Doh?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Who would replace Coach Doh?

Postby PonyDoh » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:37 am

no 100 yr old candidates
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangklick » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:15 pm

PonyDoh wrote:no 100 yr old candidates

But it would be perfect for the 2011 season......
mustangklick
Junior Varsity

Postby dcpony » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:43 pm

Nevermind. I'm out of it. Dawkins is coaching Stanford.
Last edited by dcpony on Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dcpony
All-American

Postby dcpony » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:51 pm

And if SMU wants to consider non-retread assistants, Russ Springmann at UT and Scott Spinelli at A$M would be great choices IMO. And more importantly, they can recruit.
dcpony
All-American

Postby BUTitan » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:02 pm

BOB MARLIN COACHING RECORD

SAM HOUSTON STATE -- Won 200 Lost 123
BUTitan
Varsity

Postby papawasamustang » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:30 pm

"We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors."
papawasamustang
Heisman

Postby PonyDoh » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:47 am

papawasamustang wrote:http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22725&SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=152860&Q_SEASON=2009

lol, that dude is an insufferable [deleted]. He's also partially responsible for Dook being under-talented the last 5 years. In short, he can't recruit to Dook, good luck getting kids to the Hilltop.
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby papawasamustang » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:24 am

PonyDoh wrote:
papawasamustang wrote:http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22725&SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=152860&Q_SEASON=2009

lol, that dude is an insufferable [deleted]. He's also partially responsible for Dook being under-talented the last 5 years. In short, he can't recruit to Dook, good luck getting kids to the Hilltop.

This coming from someone that would give the HC job to LUTZ. Now that's really funny.
I like this guy & the other Associate HC @ Duke, Collins.
I think both fit the profile of the type of HC that SMU should go after.
Many others out there but you can't go wrong with either one.
They can't be any worse that what we have.
"We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors."
papawasamustang
Heisman

Postby George S. Patton » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:37 am

In all seriousness, Sean Sutton. I've been very indifferent toward him but throwing this name out there for perspective.

Personally, I think we're at the point where we shouldn't recycle coaches.

New coach. New energy. New outlook on the game. Oh, and has a freaking clue as to how to recruit Dallas and PROPERLY rub elbows with the AAU vipers.
George S. Patton

Postby papawasamustang » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:19 pm

George S. Patton wrote:In all seriousness, Sean Sutton. I've been very indifferent toward him but throwing this name out there for perspective.

Personally, I think we're at the point where we shouldn't recycle coaches.

New coach. New energy. New outlook on the game. Oh, and has a freaking clue as to how to recruit Dallas and PROPERLY rub elbows with the AAU vipers.

I like Sean's brother, Scott Sutton @ Oral Roberts. He has done a good job with that program.

http://www.orugoldeneagles.com/ViewArti ... EASON=2009

The list for replacements is large. I also like Chris Lowery @ Southern Illinois
Agree 100% with the fresh approach.
papawasamustang
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:01 pm

I have no problem with untested head coach if the guy has legitimate recruiting credibility in Texas. We cannot afford to finish second to other schools in targeted recruits. The other part is that he needs to exhibit the ability to be creative in the X and O's area. If you end up with a run and gun team, then you don't run a Princeton offense and vice versa. I am amazed how many coaches are one dimensional and inflexible in their coaching of basketball. Coaching basketball is not rocket science and in recruiting, you get the best players you can and coach to what you have, not what you wish you had.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ontheedgeofmyseat » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:54 pm

Shumates success came in year 5...same with Dement...Bliss absolutely SUCKED his first 2-3 years...Dohg is going nowhere...
ontheedgeofmyseat
Heisman

Postby PonyDoh » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:33 pm

EastStang wrote:I have no problem with untested head coach if the guy has legitimate recruiting credibility in Texas. We cannot afford to finish second to other schools in targeted recruits. The other part is that he needs to exhibit the ability to be creative in the X and O's area. If you end up with a run and gun team, then you don't run a Princeton offense and vice versa. I am amazed how many coaches are one dimensional and inflexible in their coaching of basketball. Coaching basketball is not rocket science and in recruiting, you get the best players you can and coach to what you have, not what you wish you had.

coaches recruit the best players, that make sense for their system, in a perfect world. Very few coaches change systems or adapt more then a wrinkle to personnel. If the two don't mesh, you get what we have at SMU.
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUfiji43 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:29 am

Bobby Knight. Lets make it happen :D
"I love coaching here at SMU University" -June Jones
SMUfiji43
All-American

Previous

Return to Basketball