PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Saturday NC Central game

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Saturday NC Central game

Postby NickSMU17 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:38 pm

you are great
NickSMU17
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyDoh » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:39 pm

NickSMU17 wrote:you are great

no, just more knowledgeable about program building then most folks here. After all, it's my job
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby NickSMU17 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:42 pm

Maybe you should be our next coach...
NickSMU17

Postby PonyDoh » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:46 pm

NickSMU17 wrote:Maybe you should be our next coach...

I'd recruit very well, Nick, very well. Not much of the coaching type, though. Don't you think the reason I'm so critical of Orsini may b/c I know how he's perceived in the basketball industry?
Last edited by PonyDoh on Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby NickSMU17 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:47 pm

How bout asst.?

Have you been a head coach before, maybe you should try it?
NickSMU17

Postby Pony_Fan » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:08 pm

we actually have another W on the schedule. Sorry to disappoint most of the board - we won 78-50.
Pony_Fan

Postby PonyDoh » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:13 pm

NickSMU17 wrote:How bout asst.?

I love a good comedian. Apologies for cluttering the basketball and hoops recruiting portion of the board w/industry perspective. I'll try and refrain in the future
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:40 pm

I'll take it! I for one would love to see the team win out! It is in the best interest of everyone involved to see us win as many as possible regardless of whether we make a coaching change!
mustangxc

Postby PonyDoh » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:42 pm

mustangxc wrote:I'll take it! I for one would love to see the team win out! It is in the best interest of everyone involved to see us win as many as possible regardless of whether we make a coaching change!

exactly. It's like we have people cheering against the kids around here. It just looks awful to recruits
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyscott » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:16 pm

PonyDoh wrote:

I'd recruit very well, Nick, very well. Not much of the coaching type, though. Don't you think the reason I'm so critical of Orsini may b/c I know how he's perceived in the basketball industry?

Can you still be objective though being so close to the SMU program for so long?....just askin...sometimes you can be too close.....
ponyscott

Postby CalallenStang » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:37 pm

PonyDoh wrote:
mustangxc wrote:I'll take it! I for one would love to see the team win out! It is in the best interest of everyone involved to see us win as many as possible regardless of whether we make a coaching change!

exactly. It's like we have people cheering against the kids around here. It just looks awful to recruits

Give me a break. No one is cheering against the kids. Personally, I'd like to see us win out, keep Doh, and go 38-0 and win a national championship next year. I just don't see that happening.
CalallenStang

Postby NickSMU17 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:49 pm

PonyDoh wrote:

I love a good comedian. Apologies for cluttering the basketball and hoops recruiting portion of the board w/industry perspective. I'll try and refrain in the future

I appreciate the info, just not the way you put down posters and make yourself seem like Coach K...
NickSMU17

Postby PonyDoh » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:01 pm

NickSMU17 wrote:
PonyDoh wrote:

I appreciate the info, just not the way you put down posters and make yourself seem like Coach K...

it's all good, I know the way I come off. I'm not claiming some advanced knowledge of Xs & Os or mean to come off like the rat, but as an industry guy, and an SMU alum & advocate, this is all very tough viewing, and not just the Doh years. I truly believe we should be an elite national level private program. Not Duke, but certainly close to the Gonzaga's of the world. I die a little everyday we don't make that move.

To be honest, the ceiling is a lot lower in football then it is in hoops, IMO, which is doubly frustrating. As for putting down posters, that's not my intent. It does peeve though, when this place is so negative, that people start the 'if we lose' threads, before tip-off. It's a posters right, and in this case Callalen is a very devout hoops & program fan, so it's not meant as a call out, but it doesn't help, especially when it comes to recruiting. Just this week there was a thread that's entire premise was the hope we tank, just so we can clean house. Whatever happens is going to happen, let's discuss hoops and recruiting. There are like 1500 hundred fans, maybe 150 as devout as most of us, and new media matters when it comes to turning this thing around. Rant over
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyDoh » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:05 pm

ponyscott wrote:
PonyDoh wrote:

Can you still be objective though being so close to the SMU program for so long?....just askin...sometimes you can be too close.....

I don't work for SMU, or w/their apparel company etc. I'm only close b/c I'm a fan/alum, and water cooler talk in my industry gives the straight poop on most programs, not just SMU. I'm not blind to the issues, but I also have a 3rd party perspective on what this job is and isn't. Specifically, how it is regarded on the food chain, if its AD is a pro or con etc
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby NickSMU17 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:27 pm

Have you made yourself known to Orisini or Doh?

It would seem that we could use an image consultant or someone who understands the game...
NickSMU17

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball