PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Doh

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Doh

Postby angryfan04 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:17 am

We can't be up-tempo team because doh doesn't know the first thing about that kind of game.
angryfan04
Varsity

Postby George S. Patton » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:56 am

PonyUp I wouldn't have said what I said about him unless I had been around him. And I have and I don't think there are too many who would dispute it.

Regarding the finances, there's a buyout. Your prorate it and move on. If the programs future is going to hang on the coaches salary and risk player complete upheaval then we're not doing what's best for the program. This is a revenue sport and when you are drawing invitation only crowds, the interest is disappearing and the losses are mounting then that means you're not bringing any money to the athletic department. It's pretty clear what has to be done.

FIRE MATT DOHERTY. The sooner the better.
George S. Patton

Postby papawasamustang » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:24 pm

I don't think its a good idea to trash your team in public like Doh has done the last couple of years.
He's @ it again after both of the recent victories.
I think it shows a total lack of class. The DMN states today that Doh said, "I was embarrassed to be the coach of THAT team", blasting the teams effort and maturity.

I'm sure the players are very tired of Doh's losing act. They are probably embarrassed to have him as their head coach. I would argue that Doh's act of the bench is pretty immature as well.

Time for Doh to look into the mirror, fess up, quit the name calling, quit blaming everyone else except yourself for this terrible program, go see Steve O & resign effective immediately.

Thanks for you time & effort Doh, but it ain't working. The longer you stay, the worse off it is for anyone involved with SMU men's basketball.
"We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors."
papawasamustang
Heisman

Postby MustangStealth » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:28 pm

papawasamustang wrote:The DMN states today that Doh said, "I was embarrassed to be the coach of THAT team"

Well, I'm embarassed to be a fan of that team, so I guess we're even.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby George S. Patton » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:41 pm

MustangStealth wrote:
papawasamustang wrote:The DMN states today that Doh said, "I was embarrassed to be the coach of THAT team"

Well, I'm embarassed to be a fan of that team, so I guess we're even.

What an absolutely stupid thing to have quoted in the newspaper. Of course, he said the same thing on the radio postgame show so he was on a roll.

Keep it up, Matt and you'll do a great job of making sure you lose the ENTIRE locker room.

People person he is not.
George S. Patton

Postby redpony » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:01 pm

Does anyone really believe that Orsini is going to do anything about this? IMHO Orsini feels he has 'earned his spurs' by getting JJ here (for which he is not totally responsible) and does not have to do anything with the other athletic programs. i.e. look at the soccer programs- both the men's and women's programs have been trashed by poor coaches and Orsini has not intention of improving them.

Orsini said in an interview that anything less than .500 this year in bball would not be acceptable but I would wager that he will do nothing to correct the bball program before Doh's contract is up.
Of course not giving him an extension will kill any good recruiting chances. What a sad state of affairs.

GO PONIES!!!
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:42 pm

I don't have a big problem with what Doh said about his team last night. What did he say that wasn't true? Do you think any of the players felt good about that performance?

You could see early on that the game was "too easy". We jumped out to a big lead, controlled the paint and lost focus. You could see it in the FT shooting and ball movement (or lack thereof). The guys started jacking up threes and did not seem to have much focus. It looked like playground ball.

The telling play to me was when Walker came off the bench and was fed the ball in the corner. The H-T guy guarding the wing was headed towards Walker full bore and out of control. A simple pump fake has that guy in the bleachers, allowing Walker to drive the baseline for an easy hoop or dish to someone else in the lane that may have been left open. Instead, Walker jacks an ugly three just as the defender gets there to disturb his concentration on the shot (or at least that was my view of that play)

I assume Doh insisted on going inside again to start the 2nd half and H-T clearly expected that as they packed their zone in tighter, daring us to take wide open threes. We started turning it over forcing the ball inside, H-T got some life and played with a lot more energy than our guys did. They hit some threes and started feeling good about themselves...and our guys looked like the proverbial "deer in the headlights". We were fortunate the clock only ran 20 minutes in that 2nd half.

It will be interesting to see how the guys respond to this one. I will be VERY interested to see what kind of effort we see against TCU...especially on the defensive end. If they come out and lay another egg, this "Doh has to go" sentiment will start gaining serious momentum. Play well, beat TCU...and perhaps we can move on from that fiasco last night.
Charleston Pony

Postby SMU 86 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:32 pm

What concerned me is that Coach Doh seemed put all the blame on the players and did accept any responsibility for the way this game was played. I believe he should have taken some of the responsibility as well since he coaches them.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Previous

Return to Basketball