PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Official SMU vs Tulsa game thread

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Official SMU vs Tulsa game thread

Postby Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:13 am

George S. Patton wrote:George Lopez reruns getting me thru the season. Man, Constance Marie is hot!

On a random note, the lady that plays his mom on the show, Belita Moreno, was an SMU grad.
Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:15 am

Orsini and Turner were both at the game and all of it from what I could tell.

Hey, the glory Sasser/WAC days were actually fun and 10x better than this...Tulsa would bring a good crowd and we would have maybe 2-3K there. Fresno State games with Tark were always entertaining and competitive...and Nevada.

Unfortunately, that was one of the worst games I have witnessed in a while. Why do we always start off so crappy? -- we then get on spurts for a few minutes here and there. Brought it to 6 pts - Mo misses a 3 and then they come down and hit a 3, down by 9...stupid, stupid. Why would you even let them jack up 3's at all? They have Jordan but that is about it. The other kid is worthless down low.

The best offense is running off a TO or defensive steal in transition. I agree with PonyDoh - what is with the slow sets. I don't really think it does us any good.

What in the hell is going on when you are down by 10 with 1:30 to go and nobody is fouling or shooting 3 pointers until :20-30 seconds left.

Nice game Dia, he continues to play pretty good - just aren't getting it to him and I don't understand why we don't pick and roll with him and DW. Dia comes off the screen and DW doesn't even look or Dia isn't ready for a pass.

McCoy has officially gone to lala land... :!: wow

and the Mavs lose tonight. Weak
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby George S. Patton » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:09 am

Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex wrote:
George S. Patton wrote:George Lopez reruns getting me thru the season. Man, Constance Marie is hot!

On a random note, the lady that plays his mom on the show, Belita Moreno, was an SMU grad.

So there's your SMU angle for any future George Lopez threads.
George S. Patton

Postby mr. pony » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:48 am

PonyDoh wrote:
George S. Patton wrote:I just want to thank Matt Doherty for making SMU men's basketball completely irrelevent.

It's always been completely irrelevant, don't kid yourself. I laugh at people recalling the glory years around here, as if there were any

That's blasphemy, punk.
SMU ruled the SWC for time - and I mean ruled. (No, I'm not 80. Not close in fact.)
Plenty of SWC schools never came close to SMU's story.
(And if you've never been to a game at Moody when it's packed, you ain't been to a game.)
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby George S. Patton » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:02 pm

But the problem is that the history with the 1956 Final Four team and the Ira Terrell and Gene Phillips eras is so far back that it makes it difficult to connect them to the present.

UNC, Duke, UCLA, Kentucky and Kansas and some other programs can do that because they can show success through the years -- even in down periods.

To use Minnesota because I just know it, Tubby Smith can go into a recruit's house and point out the Kevin McHale and Michael Thompson years and that success, he can show them how Clem Haskins made them a consistent NCAA tournament team (1996-97 "Final Four" team notwithstanding) and he can even show them that during the down times under Dan Monson, the Gophers were getting to postseason play and had some good players come through there.

We can show them some good players in Sasser, Davis and a couple of others but we don't have a consistent pattern of success. We've strung together 6(?) consecutive losing or .500 seasons, no postseason appearances in a decade, no NCAA tournament since 1992-93.

That just hurts. The modern day recruit will look at Minnesota and say "yeah. they've been pretty good. not awesome pretty solid.'' The modern day recruit will look at SMU and say. "yeah, well you guys have pretty much stunk it up since the day I was born and I know you want to turn it around but turn it around with somebody else. I want to win now.''
That's just the reality of this.
George S. Patton

Postby lwjr » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:08 pm

mr. pony wrote:
PonyDoh wrote:
George S. Patton wrote:I just want to thank Matt Doherty for making SMU men's basketball completely irrelevent.

It's always been completely irrelevant, don't kid yourself. I laugh at people recalling the glory years around here, as if there were any

That's blasphemy, punk.
SMU ruled the SWC for time - and I mean ruled. (No, I'm not 80. Not close in fact.)
(And if you've never been to a game at Moody when it's packed, you ain't been to a game.)

AMEN to that, Mr. Pony!
When Sony Allen came in the late mid 70's and started his brand of "fast break Basketball" Moody was a jumping. Then the early 80's team lead by Koncak and those guys, my gosh, 10,000 people in that arena would make so much noise, your ears would ring for a couple of days afterwards. And the band never stopped playing. It was a great time in SMU basketball.

If SMU can revive the football program there is no reason they can not revive the basketball program. :D
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby lwjr » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:18 pm

George S. Patton wrote:But the problem is that the history with the 1956 Final Four team and the Ira Terrell and Gene Phillips eras is so far back that it makes it difficult to connect them to the present.

UNC, Duke, UCLA, Kentucky and Kansas and some other programs can do that because they can show success through the years -- even in down periods.

To use Minnesota because I just know it, Tubby Smith can go into a recruit's house and point out the Kevin McHale and Michael Thompson years and that success, he can show them how Clem Haskins made them a consistent NCAA tournament team (1996-97 "Final Four" team notwithstanding) and he can even show them that during the down times under Dan Monson, the Gophers were getting to postseason play and had some good players come through there.

We can show them some good players in Sasser, Davis and a couple of others but we don't have a consistent pattern of success. We've strung together 6(?) consecutive losing or .500 seasons, no postseason appearances in a decade, no NCAA tournament since 1992-93.

That just hurts. The modern day recruit will look at Minnesota and say "yeah. they've been pretty good. not awesome pretty solid.'' The modern day recruit will look at SMU and say. "yeah, well you guys have pretty much stunk it up since the day I was born and I know you want to turn it around but turn it around with somebody else. I want to win now.''
That's just the reality of this.

General,
I agree with your point but, did the football program not face the same problem? It just takes the right coach and the kids to buy into the system the coach is selling. SMU has a brand new practice facility for b-ball, that has to help. But I wonder how much a negative impact, if any, Moody causes.
Not
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:21 pm

We just need the June Jones of basketball - turn around the losing attitude and the entire program, presentation, etc.

Enough with the hate GSP ..geez.

Beat UAB!
Pony_Fan

Postby George S. Patton » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:36 pm

You call it hate. I call it disgust and frustration over a program that apparently has no vision and can't get it's act together. I was so fired up when I was a freshman in 1987-88. I loved that team that won the SWC, the tournament and then went to NCAA.

Kato Armstrong
Carlton McKinney
Eric Longino
Glenn Puddy
Reginald Muhammed
Todd Alexander
Vernon Perdue (Remember when he reduced Dwayne Schnizius at Reunion?)

Man, that was a fun team. And that's why when I graduated, I specifically directed my donations to the basketball program.

I have made it clear that when it comes to my loyalty to this school, I'm harder on SMU than anybody else because I can't stand the way this program is floundering. It kills me to see it become more and more an afterthought.
Last edited by George S. Patton on Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
George S. Patton

Postby PonyDoh » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:51 pm

mr. pony wrote:
PonyDoh wrote:

That's blasphemy, punk.

LOL, I went to Maryland as well as SMU, and grew up in Cole Field House. Save me your 'if you've never been to a game at Moody when it's packed' nonsense. SMU, since the DP, has had a [deleted] student body that could care less about our revenues. You want loud and insane, try Dook/Maryland circa 1999-2002, either Cameron or Cole, your choice. Even when we won the SWC in the early 90s, I'd hardly call Moody a difficult place to play, just a nice old venue.

Again, as GSP points out, you're talking about history so ancient, it doesn't even matter to recruits parents, much less recruits. People should avoid comparing the football and hoops programs, as if they've had similar obstacles since the DP. It's apples and oranges. JJ doing wonders in football has nothing to do w/what we face in basketball on the trail. TWo totally different environments and it's not just about coach
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mr. pony » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:46 pm

Hey, P-Doh,
You said SMU's NEVER had any basketball "glory years." And you're simply wrong.

I can't help it if you weren't around for Moody in the 60s and 70s. It dwarfs anything you witnessed in the 90s, sprout. We were plenty relevant and I'll put that Moody noise up against East Coast squealing any day. I wasn't around for the 50s, but SMU kicked #ss then too.

Today, SMU only wishes it could match what those teams did. Anybody who doesn't respect and appreciate what came before around here is building on sand, baby. I guarantee you the Circle of Champions respects it.
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU 86 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:21 pm

lwjr wrote:AMEN to that, Mr. Pony!
When Sony Allen came in the late mid 70's and started his brand of "fast break Basketball" Moody was a jumping. Then the early 80's team lead by Koncak and those guys, my gosh, 10,000 people in that arena would make so much noise, your ears would ring for a couple of days afterwards. And the band never stopped playing. It was a great time in SMU basketball.

If SMU can revive the football program there is no reason they can not revive the basketball program. :D

Actually Carl Wright and Butch Moore lead those teams not Koncak.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby lwjr » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:26 pm

SMU 86 wrote:
lwjr wrote:AMEN to that, Mr. Pony!

Actually Carl Wright and Butch Moore lead those teams not Koncak.

I could not remember the other guys, I had to name someone.
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:01 pm

PoconoPony wrote:6 assists in the last game. 2 assists at half time in this Tulsa game tells me all I need to know about this "team". All I see is empty seats, all I hear are echos, lethargic play, lack of set plays or philosophy and a forgetable 63- 56 loss. I wonder if they are paying the Mustang Band to stay around to play. Disgraceful effort.

That was the alumni band last night. I guess the kids aren't back yet...or if they are, they have completely lost interest in this program when even the band takes a no show
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:06 pm

PonyDoh wrote:

maybe you are too young to remember the Doc Hayes era when SMU ruled the SWC and was very competitive nationally...not to mention having a pretty nice following at a time before ESPN and raucous crowds in big time bball arenas. Moody was a "palace" and was far better than the arenas Texas or A&M played in. It may not have been top 10 bball, but those were strong years in SMU's bball history so don't tell us "old timers" there weren't any "glory days"
Charleston Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball