PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Official SMU vs. Rice thread

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Official SMU vs. Rice thread

Postby CalallenStang » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:48 pm

Hoop Fan wrote:Rice is so painfully bad they are not really a D-1 team. The only thing worse was the atmosphere at Moody tonight. worst attendance for a conference game in february i have ever seen or could imagine.

Can't imagine how Rice gave LSU a close game. Atmosphere in Moody sucked. Arselan Kazemi's family was louder than the rest of the crowd put together.
CalallenStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyDoh » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:50 pm

I'll take it, but it was ugly.

I thought Braun would have Rice playing better, especially w/two young guns like Jackson and Kazemi. Decent class coming in for them, but they are plain bad
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RGV Pony » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:15 pm

yeah it was entertaining watching the shouting match between Kazemi's friends and family and on solitary band member. Then the "Rice" and soccer bullhorn cheers while our cheerleaders stood with their hands behind their back, and our band was silent. I know whether the band is playing is orchestrated by gameday presentation, so they get a pass, but at least the cheerleaders couldve rolled with SMU or something.
RGV Pony

Postby CalallenStang » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:18 pm

RGV Pony wrote:yeah it was entertaining watching the shouting match between Kazemi's friends and family and on solitary band member. Then the "Rice" and soccer bullhorn cheers while our cheerleaders stood with their hands behind their back, and our band was silent. I know whether the band is playing is orchestrated by gameday presentation, so they get a pass, but at least the cheerleaders couldve rolled with SMU or something.

I think the cheerleaders are told when to cheer as well.

Anyone else notice another new PA announcer?
CalallenStang

Postby RGV Pony » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:29 pm

CalallenStang wrote:
RGV Pony wrote:yeah it was entertaining watching the shouting match between Kazemi's friends and family and on solitary band member. Then the "Rice" and soccer bullhorn cheers while our cheerleaders stood with their hands behind their back, and our band was silent. I know whether the band is playing is orchestrated by gameday presentation, so they get a pass, but at least the cheerleaders couldve rolled with SMU or something.

I think the cheerleaders are told when to cheer as well.

Anyone else notice another new PA announcer?

yeah, I thought he did a great job introducing the youth team at halftime
RGV Pony

Postby CalallenStang » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:39 pm

yeah, I thought he did a great job introducing the youth team at halftime

Absolutely. He actually kept the fans interested in the game at halftime.
CalallenStang

Postby indianmustang » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:38 am

good win
Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:41 am

Hoop Fan wrote:Rice is so painfully bad they are not really a D-1 team. The only thing worse was the atmosphere at Moody tonight. worst attendance for a conference game in february i have ever seen or could imagine.

Can't expect much more with the 8th place team playing the 12th place team. You could have heard a pin drop much of the evening. You'd think with as many coaches as we have, the head coach would not have to orchestrate every single possession from the sideline - doesn't the team practice/formulate a game plan according to the scouting report? And when did Doherty adopt the Wade Phillips fist pump? His demeanor, in regard to substitutions, is becoming more and more freakish. However, it has provided some comic relief in that our group of 3 is constantly engaged in a betting game - who gets jerked for 1)a foul 2)a turnover 3)a missed shot 4)not blocking out 5)missed rebound 6)making two 3s in a row and getting pulled 7)etc.
Atmosphere was like a girls 7th grade "B" team game on a Saturday morning. (Done that) SMU "fans" are zombies. It would help if we had college-style cheerleaders instead of the stoic high school variety - really pathetic when it comes to generating any enthusiasm. Can't blame the girls - they just don't know what to do. Cheerleader sponsor must be a volunteer position.
Can't wait 'til the Houston game. Go 'stangs!
Bergermeister

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:15 am

We should probably stop complaining about Moody atmosphere and the lack of fans. Nothing new..
For the few of us that show up - we know what to expect right?
Pony_Fan

Postby RGV Pony » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:41 am

Pony_Fan wrote:We should probably stop complaining about Moody atmosphere and the lack of fans. Nothing new..
For the few of us that show up - we know what to expect right?

I was just surprised that the Rice game was notch below Houston Baptist with regard to attendance, atmosphere, etc. Take away the Iranian kid's family, and it would have been very, very dead.
RGV Pony

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:49 am

yes -- but we rehash Moody and/or the lack of fan support each and every week.
Pony_Fan

Postby smupony94 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:01 am

Vegas predicted SMU by 11 and we won by 10

They predicted the o/u at 126 and it was 124
smupony94

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:17 pm

Was there anyone in my seats? Gave them to a friend.
One Trick Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:08 pm

Pony_Fan wrote:yes -- but we rehash Moody and/or the lack of fan support each and every week.

The question is "what, if anything, is being done to increase attendance for football and bball"?
I suggested long ago that the AD and coaches reach out to the B-school...could make this a "project" for those in marketing/advertising classes. What to do within a very limited budget? Where's Russ Potts when you need him???

Cannot underestimate how our lack of fan interest holds our programs back. It starts with the students.
Charleston Pony

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:17 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
Pony_Fan wrote:yes -- but we rehash Moody and/or the lack of fan support each and every week.

The question is "what, if anything, is being done to increase attendance for football and bball"?
I suggested long ago that the AD and coaches reach out to the B-school...could make this a "project" for those in marketing/advertising classes. What to do within a very limited budget? Where's Russ Potts when you need him???

Cannot underestimate how our lack of fan interest holds our programs back. It starts with the students.

I don't know the answer but I'm sick of hearing about it every week and it's not going to come from anyone on Ponyfans. I think the social media aspect has been pretty decent - Facebook/Twitter etc - not sure who is in charge of that or do we outsource? I just don't think much is going to change. People seem to be only interested in fball - and even that is sad on attendance after we started winning some games.
Pony_Fan

Previous

Return to Basketball