PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Buzz Williams?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Buzz Williams?

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:11 pm

CoxBizGrad wrote:It's too funny certain individuals here are so angry over a journalist doing her job. I doubt that PonyFans and certain individuals are her only sources. If your so envious get a job with the DMN or another media outlet. :lol:

You consistently don't get it, on most any topic. Good grief. Bottom line, she burned her source, who told her to wait. That's not how you get ahead on the beat.

What I will say is that in hindsight, this was coming out today, no matter what. Its been the talk of the Juco nationals, and coaches/media have been discussing it all day
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangbill67 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:34 pm

the bottom line is that Buzz is a born and raised North Texas guy. If he wants to get back to the motherland this is his opportunity. apparently the money is there. He only has to say yes. Hope it happens. wish this came out after the Marquette tourney run. I would think it could be quite a distraction.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby goldenstang » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:46 pm

I don't think we have to worry about this ruining any chance we had with him if we had one to begin with. It isn't like the mainstream media is picking up on this. No reporter is going to approach Buzz with the question for fear of being laughed straight out of the building.
goldenstang
Heisman

Postby mustangbill67 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:55 pm

goldenstang wrote:I don't think we have to worry about this ruining any chance we had with him if we had one to begin with. It isn't like the mainstream media is picking up on this. No reporter is going to approach Buzz with the question for fear of being laughed straight out of the building.

actually I was listening to the various national sports talk programs on Serius while driving down to SMU tonight for a MC meeting and the Buzz story was on every one of them. So the story is out there. Common theme, why would he want to go to SMU and we cannot afford him.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:58 pm

mustangbill67 wrote:
goldenstang wrote:I don't think we have to worry about this ruining any chance we had with him if we had one to begin with. It isn't like the mainstream media is picking up on this. No reporter is going to approach Buzz with the question for fear of being laughed straight out of the building.

actually I was listening to the various national sports talk programs on Serius while driving down to SMU tonight for a MC meeting and the Buzz story was on every one of them. So the story is out there. Common theme, why would he want to go to SMU and we cannot afford him.

Yea, its all over twitter
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mathman » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:00 pm

hoopmanx wrote:
CoxBizGrad wrote:It's too funny certain individuals here are so angry over a journalist doing her job. I doubt that PonyFans and certain individuals are her only sources. If your so envious get a job with the DMN or another media outlet. :lol:

You consistently don't get it, on most any topic. Good grief. Bottom line, she burned her source, who told her to wait. That's not how you get ahead on the beat.

What I will say is that in hindsight, this was coming out today, no matter what. Its been the talk of the Juco nationals, and coaches/media have been discussing it all day

Agree. The folks on here that say it is her job to report everything she knows are just plain wrong. Reporters are asked to hold off on stuff all the time with a promise that they will get something as good as or better later on. It's called trust and she probably has lost that with this particular source.
When will I start feeling stimulated??
mathman
Heisman

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:02 pm

mathman wrote:
hoopmanx wrote:

Agree. The folks on here that say it is her job to report everything she knows are just plain wrong. Reporters are asked to hold off on stuff all the time with a promise that they will get something as good as or better later on. It's called trust and she probably has lost that with this particular source.

Precisely
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUer » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:54 pm

Big-time.
SMUer
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby alyssa » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:03 pm

I can support the hiring of Buzz Williams as the new coach. I really like him.
Make it worth it for him.
alyssa
All-American

Postby smubrooks » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:33 pm

mustangbill67 wrote:
goldenstang wrote:... while driving down to SMU tonight for a MC meeting...

I guess I don't donate enough to be invited to MC meetings :(
Pony Up!
smubrooks
All-American

Postby mustangbill67 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:48 pm

smubrooks wrote:
mustangbill67 wrote:
goldenstang wrote:... while driving down to SMU tonight for a MC meeting...

I guess I don't donate enough to be invited to MC meetings :(

You would be invited if you were willing to donate your time fund raising for the MC. think about it. we could always use more volunteers. Great way to help your university and the athletic program.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Lol » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:48 am

Lol. This whole topic is hilarious. What in the world, beyond being in Texas, does SMU have to offer Buzz Williams over Marquette? You have 1 Final Four appearance, in 1956. Buzz Williams wasn't even born then. Your last conference championship was in 1993, and you have always played in an AWFUL conference. SMU hasn't been relevant in sports since they cheated and got the Death Penalty in football. MU just took 2nd place in the Big East and is in the Sweet 16. SMU will be a consistent bottom feeder in the Big East and won't make the NCAA Tournament for quite some time. SMU's basketball facilities are 2nd rate at best. MU's practice facility is better than where SMU plays. State of the art beauty. And they play in an NBA arena. The SMU team travels commercial. MU charters its own plane both for team travel and for Buzz alone to recruit. Your program is at a high school freshman level compared to high major programs. Buzz gets paid $2.6 million a year. Are you going to up that to $4 million a year? Good luck. How do you recruit kids to SMU? "Hey guys, come be part of the 12th best D1 basketball program in our state and get your [deleted] kicked in the Big East every night, traveling thousands of miles to every away game." MU has a national championship, 2 Final Fours, Dwyane Wade, and 6 current NBA players. If Buzz wanted to get back down south he would have gone to Texas A&M or Oklahoma last year. Real basketball programs. He has said multiple times he would be at MU as long as MU will have him. MU isn't getting rid of him. This is a non-story. You might as well rumor Coach K to SMU with assistants Roy Williams, Tom Izzo, Bob Knight, John Wooden reincarnated, and John Callipari. Support staff includes Thad Matta and Bully Donovan. Time start making a new list if you think you're getting someone the caliber of Buzz Williams. Hint: start with an upcoming assistant coach looking for a shot as a head coach.

Good luck with your search. It ain't gonna be Buzz Williams.
Lol

Postby LHS81 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:10 am

Looks like PF's has their 1st Marquette troll!!!
2015 INDIANAPOLIS OR BUST
LHS81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU89 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:55 am

SMU89
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Buzz Williams?

Postby Grant Carter » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:14 am

mathman wrote:
hoopmanx wrote:

The only evidence I have seen that she violated the trust of a source is from hoopmanx saying it. Are you sure that she was told about this and asked to keep it quiet? Isn't it possible that she heard about it from some other way than what you think? You have said that it was all over the juco tourney, maybe she heard it from someone who is there?

Also, when you keep saying that you know a university source told her on confidence, you are actually confirming it yourself. If I had just seen her note I would have thought it was a joke, but your reaction made me give it credence.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball