PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Grades

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Grades

Postby LHS81 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:13 pm

MeanGreen90 wrote:Let me start by saying that unlike many of my brethren, I hold no I'll will toward your program or your fan base. I think we are similar in many ways, yet also very different.

It really concerns me to see some of your fans posts on here, though. It looks now that it will amount to nothing, but before some of you knew that, you were already going into full protection mode, wanting to hire attorneys and deny that the sun comes up every morning if necessary in order to protect yourselves. Seems you learned nothing from the 80s.

SMU wasn't given the death penalty because they cheated, SMU was given the death penalty because they not only continued to cheat, but used the exact tactics that many of you are calling for in this thread: denial and evasiveness.

Just admit the sin, correct it, and move on. Best policy in sports and in life.

I do think you guys are headed for probation with your basketball program. Not because I hate SMU (I don't), not because of this scandal, but because that is what has happened to every program that has hired Larry Brown in the last 20 years.

NOW THIS IS FUNNY!!! Did Tony Mitchell ever get his high school diploma from Pinkston before entering, or while at North Texas St.
2015 INDIANAPOLIS OR BUST
LHS81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU2007 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:14 pm

ponyte wrote:One wonders about the identifying of a specific kid and announcing his grades? Isn't their a law protecting the student's right to privacy? HIPPA defines identifiable characteristics and one can't use any without written permission. Thus, the use of a kid's athletic honors (All- American, top 5 recruit), his school how be a clear HIPPA violation. Wouldn't DISD be liable for disclosing KF's grade history?

Seems SMU should provide KF a lawyer, use attorney client privilege to protect the arrangement, and go after DISD, WFAA and anyone else violating this kid's privacy rights.

I could be wrong, but the H in HIPAA is "Health", so I'm not sure HIPAA has anything to do with this situation.
SMU2007
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Grant Carter » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:18 pm

MeanGreen90 wrote:I do think you guys are headed for probation with your basketball program. Not because I hate SMU (I don't), not because of this scandal, but because that is what has happened to every program that has hired Larry Brown in the last 20 years.

Could you please give me a list of every program that hired Larry Brown in the last 20 years who got probation?
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:19 pm

StallionModelT,
You're embarrassing. No one gets pulled offsides easier than you. You're obsessed with how easy it is to get in a school (UH/NT), endowments, rankings, ect. What does that have to do with basketball? UH/UNT are good schools and serve a purpose. Talking trash is fine but try to do it without sounding like a complete [deleted], and get over yourself. Try Tony Mitchell or being 1-4 in a weak C-USA
Last edited by LA_Mustang on Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby StallionsModelT » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:21 pm

Last edited by StallionsModelT on Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby Top Twenty » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:23 pm

The privacy legislaton is know as the Buckley Amendment, if I recall correctly.
Top Twenty
Junior Varsity

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:24 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:You mad bro?

Nope. Happy as can be. Ready for tonight. Long live the Lone Oak Buffaloes.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby StallionsModelT » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:27 pm

Ha! Long live indeed!

BTW, my wife is a UNT grad. If you take stuff on a message board so seriously I'd suggest a midol.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:33 pm

LHS81 wrote:
MeanGreen90 wrote:Let me start by saying that unlike many of my brethren, I hold no I'll will toward your program or your fan base. I think we are similar in many ways, yet also very different.

It really concerns me to see some of your fans posts on here, though. It looks now that it will amount to nothing, but before some of you knew that, you were already going into full protection mode, wanting to hire attorneys and deny that the sun comes up every morning if necessary in order to protect yourselves. Seems you learned nothing from the 80s.

SMU wasn't given the death penalty because they cheated, SMU was given the death penalty because they not only continued to cheat, but used the exact tactics that many of you are calling for in this thread: denial and evasiveness.

I do think you guys are headed for probation with your basketball program. Not because I hate SMU (I don't), not because of this scandal, but because that is what has happened to every program that has hired Larry Brown in the last 20 years.

NOW THIS IS FUNNY!!! Did Tony Mitchell ever get his high school diploma from Pinkston before entering, or while at North Texas St.

Good question. He won't answer that nor do I think he will post again.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby lwjr » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:37 pm

smusic 00 wrote:Didn't know the NBA had teams on probation. Thanks for the insight.

In the NBA its, Double Secret Probation
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby MeanGreen90 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:40 pm

LHS81 wrote:

Don't be stupid. Tony Mitchell had to complete a year of college at UNT before ever stepping on the court. During that year, he achieved B honor roll status.

Before "UNT is a JUCO" jokes start, ask yourself what Keith's GPA might be.
MeanGreen90
Recruit

Postby MeanGreen90 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:44 pm

Rebel10 wrote:

Dude, we were saying that because nothing was proven against the SMU doing wrong. If something had been proven it would have been a different story. So there was no sin the correct. Also, the bible says to judge not lest ye be judged. It looks like you have judged us already on the Frazier situation. Seems like you have some shortcoming that you need to correct.

I think you needs to re-read this thread and then re-read my post.
MeanGreen90
Recruit

Postby Digetydog » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:45 pm

SMU2007 wrote:
ponyte wrote:One wonders about the identifying of a specific kid and announcing his grades? Isn't their a law protecting the student's right to privacy? HIPPA defines identifiable characteristics and one can't use any without written permission. Thus, the use of a kid's athletic honors (All- American, top 5 recruit), his school how be a clear HIPPA violation. Wouldn't DISD be liable for disclosing KF's grade history?

Seems SMU should provide KF a lawyer, use attorney client privilege to protect the arrangement, and go after DISD, WFAA and anyone else violating this kid's privacy rights.

I could be wrong, but the H in HIPAA is "Health", so I'm not sure HIPAA has anything to do with this situation.

While HIPAA isn't the right law, there are laws protecting student's grades.
Tom Penders was fired by UT after one of his assistants leaked a former player's grades to the press [The player was blaming the coaches for his decision to leave. In reality, he had flunked out].
Last edited by Digetydog on Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mustang11 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:45 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:"I think we are similar in many ways."

Similar in that one school has:

$1.4 billion endowment
U.S. News top 60 academic institution
World class business school
Top 50 law school
Presidential Library
$1 billion fundraising effort
$47 million renovation to Moody making it the best college bball arena in Texas
Larry Brown

while the other has:

Fry Street

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Mustang11
Junior Varsity

Postby Digetydog » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:46 pm

MeanGreen90 wrote:
LHS81 wrote:
Don't be stupid. Tony Mitchell had to complete a year of college at UNT before ever stepping on the court. During that year, he achieved B honor roll status.

Before "UNT is a JUCO" jokes start, ask yourself what Keith's GPA might be.

Does UNT really have a "B Honor Roll?"
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball