PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OOC Opponents and other AAC games

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: OOC Opponents and other AAC games

Postby mustangxc » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:32 pm

I really enjoyed Bill Walton's broadcasting when he did the NBA on NBC with Steve "Snapper" Jones, but he has gone off the rails since and his comments rarely if ever have anything to do with the games aside from his unending promotion of the conference of champions.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyFan32 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:45 pm

CP - not to be picky but temple went 2-2 in the Philly series, as there are only 5 teams in that series.

As for TCU, it's going to be tough beating anyone without Jalen Fisher. He was their spark against OU. And ISU just manhandled Tech so TCU at ISU might not be a gimme
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:40 pm

PonyFan32 wrote:CP - not to be picky but temple went 2-2 in the Philly series, as there are only 5 teams in that series.

As for TCU, it's going to be tough beating anyone without Jalen Fisher. He was their spark against OU. And ISU just manhandled Tech so TCU at ISU might not be a gimme

I thought they played 5 games against Philly schools every year. I had St Joe's, Drexel and Penn as wins and Nova & LaSalle as losses
Charleston Pony

Postby PonyFan32 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:42 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
PonyFan32 wrote:CP - not to be picky but temple went 2-2 in the Philly series, as there are only 5 teams in that series.

I thought they played 5 games against Philly schools every year. I had St Joe's, Drexel and Penn as wins and Nova & LaSalle as losses

5 is the number of schools. But Drexel does make it ambiguous since it's in Philly and they play many of the other Philly schools. Also it seems some people think they should be included. However after looking it up, Drexel only plays La Salle and Temple this year. No Villanova or St Joes.
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:51 pm

mustangxc wrote:I really enjoyed Bill Walton's broadcasting when he did the NBA on NBC with Steve "Snapper" Jones, but he has gone off the rails since and his comments rarely if ever have anything to do with the games aside from his unending promotion of the conference of champions.

Attention.... attention.... please don’t eat the brown acid....”
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:44 pm

Froggies host hillbillies tonight.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby RI Stang » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:48 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:Froggies host hillbillies tonight.

They desperately need this game - taking on a lot of water lately. Nothing "bad" on their resume but nothing real great either - best wins are Nevada and SMU, two teams in that 8-11 seed range.

Big 12 is very tough, no doubt, but you also get WAY more opportunities for big wins and you do actually have to win some of those.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:15 pm

RI Stang wrote:

They desperately need this game - taking on a lot of water lately. Nothing "bad" on their resume but nothing real great either - best wins are Nevada and SMU, two teams in that 8-11 seed range.

Big 12 is very tough, no doubt, but you also get WAY more opportunities for big wins and you do actually have to win some of those.

Interesting thing here: Most are calling that conference the strongest this year....but Fraschilla said the other day that, although they may be, he doesn't see a final four team there.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Pony_Law » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:35 pm

I don't see a final four team in the Big 12 either. Tre Young is great, but just like Steph curry probably isn't good enough to carry them all the way in the tournament. WVA is great but I think experienced guards can neutralize their press. If WVA isn't getting a lot of easy baskets off turnovers they can struggle offensively. TCU without fisher are just an ordinary "good" College basketball team. TTU relies on freshman which is scary in the tournament and I don't know what to think about Kansas. Basically, I don't see a complete team that could navigate their way through a bracket and into a final four.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyTime » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:35 pm

RI Stang wrote:

If I were a TCU fan, I would think twice before storming the court if they win...

"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:52 am

Big win for TCU last night and don't look now but Ark P-B remains undefeated in the SWAC
Charleston Pony

Postby mrydel » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:24 am

Arkansas PB often wins the SWAC. They just open the year with 10 body bag games to fill their coffers.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:07 am

Charleston Pony wrote:Big win for TCU last night and don't look now but Ark P-B remains undefeated in the SWAC

That was an impressive win for the Frogs.... although with home court advantage.
Dixon is truly building something there.... akin to the excitement LB brought us.
I hope we can build the rivalry along the lines of the Syracuse/UCONN of old or the Cincy/Xavier of these days.

Also.... look what depth and having all your scholarships will do for you. Frogs hardly missed Jaylen Fisher last night. Robinson ( who I’ve always thought equal to Fisher) stepped up .... and so did Ribinson’s backup.
Having 10-12 solid guys when conference time rolls around us where SMU needs to be. We are STILL at least two years away from that luxury.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Pony_Law » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:58 am

I wonder if Jank just got used to a really shallow rotation last year and now it has become a habit. This year he is still riding the starters hard, even when he didn't have to. The freshman showed enough that I was expecting at least Landrum and Douglas to be getting a solid 10-15 minutes each per game. Jank however pretty much only had a 7 man rotation (akoy + McMurr) before the injuries as Landrum and Douglas only seemed to be getting spot minutes in the first half to deal with foul trouble. During the nonconference Douglas seemed to be getting more and more minutes as was doing some nice things defensively. Landrum seems competent except for his terrible shooting (which is inexplicable and hopefully he is working on every day). Since the conference started both of their minutes seemed to have been cut. Maybe now they will both get a real run out.

I wonder if Jank might just be a coach that will always use a 8 man rotation as opposed to 10. Most coaches use 10 man rotation throughout the season and then shorten it come post season. I wonder if all those years at smaller schools made him adverse to using the bench as he probably had a pretty significant talent drop off.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyTime » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:05 am

Pony_Law wrote:I wonder if Jank just got used to a really shallow rotation last year and now it has become a habit. This year he is still riding the starters hard, even when he didn't have to. The freshman showed enough that I was expecting at least Landrum and Douglas to be getting a solid 10-15 minutes each per game. Jank however pretty much only had a 7 man rotation (akoy + McMurr) before the injuries as Landrum and Douglas only seemed to be getting spot minutes in the first half to deal with foul trouble. During the nonconference Douglas seemed to be getting more and more minutes as was doing some nice things defensively. Landrum seems competent except for his terrible shooting (which is inexplicable and hopefully he is working on every day). Since the conference started both of their minutes seemed to have been cut. Maybe now they will both get a real run out.

I wonder if Jank might just be a coach that will always use a 8 man rotation as opposed to 10. Most coaches use 10 man rotation throughout the season and then shorten it come post season. I wonder if all those years at smaller schools made him adverse to using the bench as he probably had a pretty significant talent drop off.

Landrum is as good at matching his shoes as he is at the contested mid-range shot.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball