PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Huston-Tillotson game

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Huston-Tillotson game

Postby Pony Up » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:26 am

George S. Patton wrote:Hey, Matt. LeMoyne college is a NCAA school that plays in the Northeast Conference you moron. And that was an exhibition game you moron. Terrible analogy.

Resorting to name-calling of your own coach?
You can disagree with a player or coach without resorting to that. Grow up and show a little class.
Proud to be a PonyFan
Pony Up
All-American

Postby ponyscott » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:44 am

Sorry guys he's a creep and if you have daughters that go to school at SMU you wouldn't want him here...really. ( talking about Gillespie)
Last edited by ponyscott on Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
ponyscott
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby clasc1 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:02 am

Very disappointing. Alot of fundamental mistakes smu ball handlers trapped in the corner but no one comes to the ball to help. (especially the guards - come get the damn ball) terrible FT routines.
Game should have been over in the 1st half but once again it all falls apart at the end.
I have to blame all that on the coach.
Doh is a persistent recruiter (to the point of being irritating)
But I haven't seen anyone develop. I'm only a casual observer but.... His team and clock management at the end of games SUCKS!!

Move on SMU Basketball.... :wink:
clasc1

Postby NorthEastMustang » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:31 am

And people on this board wonder why students don't go to the games...
NorthEastMustang
Junior Varsity

Postby indianmustang » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:47 am

that was a bad game
Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby Bergermeister » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:11 am

ponyscott wrote:Sorry guys he's a creep and if you have daughters that go to school at SMU you wouldn't want him here...really. ( talking about Gillespie)

:roll:
Bergermeister

Postby George S. Patton » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:49 am

Pony Up wrote:
George S. Patton wrote:And he can FREAKING RECRUIT DALLAS!!

For the last time, it doesn't matter if he gets players from Dallas. Just get players. They can be from the moon, for all I care, if they can play.

Yes, it does matter that you can recruit Dallas. Most programs' recruiting philosophy is to go from the inside out. Develop a better relationship with the local players/AAU/HS coaches. If you get the big freeze, that hurts. You need a local presence.

Rick Barnes has made Texas a national program, but he usually has 2-3 guys on his roster from the greater Austin area.

You just don't know what you're talking about.
George S. Patton

Postby George S. Patton » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:02 am

Pony Up wrote:
George S. Patton wrote:Hey, Matt. LeMoyne college is a NCAA school that plays in the Northeast Conference you moron. And that was an exhibition game you moron. Terrible analogy.

You can disagree with a player or coach without resorting to that. Grow up and show a little class.

Actually, I think I'm OK calling him a jerk since he decided to go on his postgame radio interview and pretty much blast his team:

(I copied and pasted the following from earlier in this thread)
Coach Doh on the post game show...
He's embarrassed
His players need to grow up and mature
Sorry for the folks who were actually at the game
Lack of concentration lead to poor FT shooting & turnovers
Poor leadership on the court
Not a smart team
Repeating, guys were very immature tonight, focused on Thanksgiving
Effort stunk
Intense practice tomorrow

You know you could get away with that kind of public blasting of your team if your program had some skins on the wall -- like Bill Self who last week at the half against Memphis said his offense stunk (of course, Bill has some skins on the wall) -- but when your program is fighting for legitimacy and your coach goes off, it's pretty clear he's lost it and he's losing this team already.

So in that respect, calling him a jerk might be the kindest thing anyone can say about him.
Take his [deleted] back to New York!
Last edited by George S. Patton on Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
George S. Patton

Postby PonyDoh » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:02 am

George S. Patton wrote:
Pony Up wrote:
George S. Patton wrote:And he can FREAKING RECRUIT DALLAS!!

For the last time, it doesn't matter if he gets players from Dallas. Just get players. They can be from the moon, for all I care, if they can play.

Yes, it does matter that you can recruit Dallas. Most programs' recruiting philosophy is to go from the inside out. Develop a better relationship with the local players/AAU/HS coaches. If you get the big freeze, that hurts. You need a local presence.

Rick Barnes has made Texas a national program, but he usually has 2-3 guys on his roster from the greater Austin area.

You just don't know what you're talking about.

Patton, you aren't getting it. SMU isn't UT, Minny or Maryland. I'd agree w/you, if this was a state university, not a pseudo-exclusive, white-bred private, w/a horrible rep in the community, not just basketball community. No national privates recruit exclusively, or primarily, in their backyard. I keep hearing everyone talk about local recruiting, but where is the perspective based on what type of program this is. We're not in the SWC, we don't have tradition, we play in a one-bid league w/no appreciable TV deal etc.
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby George S. Patton » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:16 am

PonyDoh
I hear you on those fronts. But when you're losing the local kids to Tulsa -- and we have -- and to UALR -- and we have -- and now you can't even get into the serious conversation with some, that's a problem.

I've read some stuff where kids have us on their list of consideration. But I would interpret that as mild at best. We have to do a better job of keeping the mid-major type of DI kids from scooting off. We're not doing that.

I'm not saying we have to have all DFW kids on the roster but you need to have as many open doors as possible. And because this coach has an abrasive personality, he's getting the big freeze here.

Hey, I like this new signing class. Smith looks really impressive and the Euro kids are interesting. They just would be better off with someone else coaching them.
George S. Patton

Postby ponyscott » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:18 am

Bergermeister wrote:
ponyscott wrote:Sorry guys he's a creep and if you have daughters that go to school at SMU you wouldn't want him here...really. ( talking about Gillespie)

:roll:

Sorry but I know stuff from his TAMU days....not good.
ponyscott

Postby White Helmet » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:42 am

PonyDoh wrote:
Patton, you aren't getting it. SMU isn't UT, Minny or Maryland. I'd agree w/you, if this was a state university, not a pseudo-exclusive, white-bred private, w/a horrible rep in the community, not just basketball community. No national privates recruit exclusively, or primarily, in their backyard. I keep hearing everyone talk about local recruiting, but where is the perspective based on what type of program this is. We're not in the SWC, we don't have tradition, we play in a one-bid league w/no appreciable TV deal etc.

Gonzaga has signed one player from CA in the last 6 years, 1.
White Helmet
Hall of Famer

Postby Wuba » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:02 pm

George S. Patton wrote:
Pony Up wrote:

Actually, I think I'm OK calling him a jerk since he decided to go on his postgame radio interview and pretty much blast his team:

(I copied and pasted the following from earlier in this thread)
Coach Doh on the post game show...
He's embarrassed
His players need to grow up and mature
Sorry for the folks who were actually at the game
Lack of concentration lead to poor FT shooting & turnovers
Poor leadership on the court
Not a smart team
Repeating, guys were very immature tonight, focused on Thanksgiving
Effort stunk
Intense practice tomorrow

You know you could get away with that kind of public blasting of your team if your program had some skins on the wall -- like Bill Self who last week at the half against Memphis said his offense stunk (of course, Bill has some skins on the wall) -- but when your program is fighting for legitimacy and your coach goes off, it's pretty clear he's lost it and he's losing this team already.

So in that respect, calling him a jerk might be the kindest thing anyone can say about him.
Take his [deleted] back to New York!

You do know that the words jerk and moron are different words right? I just ask because you said moron in the post that Pony Up quoted, but then you twice defended your quote by calling him a jerk. For the record, I thought he sounded like a jerk on the radio show too, but I did not think that however he referred to Le Moyne was moronic.
Wuba
All-American

Postby George S. Patton » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:38 pm

IMO the problem with the LeMoyne comment is that it was an exhibition game and didn't count. I know the national media went bezerk over it but that was media driven because Syracuse is a national program. Our game did count and we were terrible.

Arguably the worst free throw shooting team I've seen since I've been following the program.
George S. Patton

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:42 pm

Gonzaga is in Washington, not California. And it looks to me like even though they have become a national program, they are still recruiting their region mostly (besides a few kids from texas including GJ Vilarino): they have 4 kids from Western Canada, 4 kids from the state of Washington, 2 kids from Portland and kids from west of the Mississippi including Minnesota, Colorado and Iowa.

In any case, I know SMUs reputation sucks in Dallas. thats why you need a coach and a plan to overcome that. Dement did it to some extent.
Hoop Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball