PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU vs TCU Game Thread

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU vs TCU Game Thread

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:24 pm

a guard oriented team that shoots 0-13 from 3 pt range on it's home court...says it all
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SmooBoy » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:25 pm

Why didn't McCoy play tonight? :?
SmooBoy

Postby Treadway21 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:26 pm

And less than 50% on FT's -
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby RunningStang » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:31 pm

Atleast when conference rolls around, we can say "Yah, but just wait until football season!"
RunningStang
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyDoh » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:31 pm

just can't win games being awful from 3 and the line.

FWIW, Dia is turning the corner somewhat. Just can't get everyone to show up on the same day.
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby peruna11 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:50 pm

Awful from 3. Awful from the line. So frustrating

Dia looked good tonight. Defense looked better tonight.

ETA: Just realized you beat me to all of that, PonyDoh.
peruna11
All-American

Postby Mexmustang » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:51 pm

Time to pull a Bennett!
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony_Fan » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:01 pm

wow, just got back. Nice 1st half, stupid at the very end to give up the 3, nice rotations and defense. Holy cow, we have a mental FT problem. A few 3's and FT's and McCoy hits a shot or two, we win the game. Disappointing. What is wrong with McCoy...geez.

what is up with the attendance for a rivalry - pitiful! TCU didnt show at all either. weak
Pony_Fan

Postby tristatecoog » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:12 pm

Did anyone listen to the post-game comments? How was the crowd tonight? Many TCU fans?

It's early but SMU had a 50% chance of winning according to RPIforecast.com

http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/Southe ... odist.html
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:24 pm

TCU sucked and was basically asking to get blown out from the start. Doh has no game presence. For a guy fighting for his career he sure was content to turn the other cheek and let the refs act like it was a nuetral court game. One well timed technical foul could have swung momentum and woken up the crowd and the team from its slumber. Not only that, Doh could use something that shows these guys he's on their side other than that weak clap after they miss a free throw or commit a TO. Bottom line is it was another very pitiful second half performance and loss.
Hoop Fan

Postby NastyStang » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:31 pm

The TCU players looked like a non-division 1 team. Horrible horrible loss. It's SO redundant - missed tons of free throws, have the worst half-court offense in D-1, a coach who makes TERRIBLE in game decisions (ie. switching to zone and letting their shooter hit 2 threes when man was working). I've said give Doh some more time, but its not working. When you see talent on the court that will not fast break and look scared to take a shot - a change is necessary!
NastyStang
Varsity

Postby Pony_Fan » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:37 pm

I liked what I saw in the 1st half. TCU came out way hot the 2nd half. Made all their 3's. We were going inside with nice assists from McCoy to Faye and Dia doing pretty well. Went away from that and fell apart. I'm not a Doh fan but he is not missing shots or FT's. I would have maybe given Walker a few minutes to see if he can convert some 3's b/c nobody on this team can shoot right now.
Pony_Fan

Postby peruna11 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:39 pm

coming out flat after halftime killed us. maybe im jaded by june, but doh clearly has no connection with the players
peruna11
All-American

Postby papawasamustang » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:44 pm

NastyStang wrote:The TCU players looked like a non-division 1 team. Horrible horrible loss. It's SO redundant - missed tons of free throws, have the worst half-court offense in D-1, a coach who makes TERRIBLE in game decisions (ie. switching to zone and letting their shooter hit 2 threes when man was working). I've said give Doh some more time, but its not working. When you see talent on the court that will not fast break and look scared to take a shot - a change is necessary!

2 games without a 3. 0-24 I think. 18 for something like 40 from the FT line the last 2 games.
Playing pressure D to open the game & then backing off of it. Why?
Poor weak side rotation & poor recognition that #13 is the 3 pt shooter leaving him wide open(happens every game).

This team may be the worst shooting team in America & you just can't play a slow down game.
You gotta to make it crazy on the court, pressing, creating some hell & getting easy baskets.
If you can't shoot, you gotta get a lot of shoot attempts to score. It ain't gonna happen with a slow down tempo type game. This slow down, run down the shoot clock O sucks. Boring brand of basketball & totally not effective.

This team drives me crazy. I'm telling you they have some talent on this squad.

It can only be one thing.

BTW, best home game I've seen Papa play @ SMU & I've seen most of them. Gotta explain to me why he only played 24 minutes in a 40 minute game. Monster game was there for the taking.
Last edited by papawasamustang on Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
"We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors."
papawasamustang
Heisman

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:46 pm

Pony_Fan wrote:I liked what I saw in the 1st half. TCU came out way hot the 2nd half. Made all their 3's. We were going inside with nice assists from McCoy to Faye and Dia doing pretty well. Went away from that and fell apart. I'm not a Doh fan but he is not missing shots or FT's. I would have maybe given Walker a few minutes to see if he can convert some 3's b/c nobody on this team can shoot right now.

yes, so you give Walker a lot of PT in his fresh and soph years only to bench him completely in his junior year? Makes alot of sense. We were begging for a shooting spark off the bench tonight. Nyakundi was non existent and Mccoy was AWOL to say the least.

as for TCU getting hot...most all D-1 teams these days will torch you if you give them wide open threes for long enough. TCU tried to give us that game, we really should have been up 20 at halftime. basically, tcu knew they were given a gift to even be in the game and Christian got them to wake up and turn it around in the 2nd half.
Hoop Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball