PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU-UAB

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU-UAB

Postby Pony Fan » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:51 am

I keep hearing that Orsini is going to give Doherty the term of his contract, which I understand is another year after this one. Doherty cannot coach the team, period. This is nearly identical to the debacle we had in football with Bennett. Doherty could not win at UNC with the best players in America, why would anybody expect him to win here? This is Orsini's hire and I guess he is going to give him every benefit of the doubt. Steve, admit you made a mistake and make the change. If your goal is to be Top 25 in every sport, we have the wrong coach in men's basketball. This is a sport we ought to be good in, and the program has not improved, and may be worst today than when he took it over.

Steve, make the change.
Pony Fan
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:01 am

this was a rare missed game for me and I'm glad I missed this one; talk about a heart breaker. How much more can this program endure? The fact that we were able to build that large a lead over UAB reinforces my belief that there is more talent on this team than what they are showing. With that kind of lead, I'm of the belief you keep the pedal to the floor until you crush the other team's will to compete (not unlike the football team's Hawaii Bowl performance), but sounds like we went into "protect the lead" mode? This team full of guards and big guys who can run the floor needs to get out and run. Of course, it would help to have more than the usual 1500 supporting the home team when you need that little bit of extra energy to finish.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mr. pony » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:48 am

Charleston Pony wrote:this was a rare missed game for me and I'm glad I missed this one; talk about a heart breaker. How much more can this program endure? The fact that we were able to build that large a lead over UAB reinforces my belief that there is more talent on this team than what they are showing. With that kind of lead, I'm of the belief you keep the pedal to the floor until you crush the other team's will to compete (not unlike the football team's Hawaii Bowl performance), but sounds like we went into "protect the lead" mode? This team full of guards and big guys who can run the floor needs to get out and run. Of course, it would help to have more than the usual 1500 supporting the home team when you need that little bit of extra energy to finish.

Come on, man. Don't blame the lack of fans. Some folks simply can't watch it.
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby redpony » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:11 am

Pony Fan wrote: Steve, admit you made a mistake and make the change. If your goal is to be Top 25 in every sport, we have the wrong coach in men's basketball. This is a sport we ought to be good in, and the program has not improved, and may be worst today than when he took it over.
Steve, make the change.

Orsini is not going to make any changes. He is one big liar. I recall an interview some time back where he basically said that if we weren't .500 in bball that it would be unacceptable and changes would be made. Not happening.
I am beginning to think we need to start thinking about a different AD. He has hired 5 coaches. Three are total failures( bball, men's soccer and women's soccer), one is undecided- tennis and one looks like true winner-fball. How long would you keep an employee that was correct 20% of the time and refuses to change his mistakes?? His 'top 25 in everything we do" was just a big lie to get the job. Why do you think his own alma mater didn't select him for their AD-because they knew he couldn't do the job. Time to start making changes.

GO PONIES!!!
redpony

Postby SMU89 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:38 am

PonyPride wrote:
SMU89 wrote:Post-game interview, they were too afraid to ask Doh about the confrontation.

Not true. Coach Doherty's postgame interview is broadcast on the radio, but it also is piped into Moody over the PA, and UAB coach Mike Davis was standing right there when Coach Doherty was being interviewed. Looked like the announcers were taking the high road and not baiting Coach D into saying something that would be uncomfortable for either coach.

Did not know the proximity -- makes sense -- they used their brains.
However, it's just another lost opportunity. If they did bait him, maybe a brawl would have started, and we could be talking about having a Doh - Davis Moody Cage Match.
SMU89

Postby Pony_Fan » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:40 am

http://smumustangs.cstv.com/sports/m-ba ... 10aaa.html

a couple of youtube clips from post game
Pony_Fan

Postby RGV Pony » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:45 am

a real shame we don't already have Patsevich and Smith. This season is turning out like the Alamo...reinforcements just cant get here soon enough
RGV Pony

Postby redpony » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:49 am

RGV Pony wrote:This season is turning out like the Alamo...reinforcements just cant get here soon enough

And the results are going to be the same- we will end up getting slaughtered. :shock:

GO PONIES!!!
redpony

Postby RE Tycoon » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:56 am

RGV Pony wrote:a real shame we don't already have Patsevich and Smith. This season is turning out like the Alamo...reinforcements just cant get here soon enough

I don't want to remember this season.
#NewLobCity
RE Tycoon
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:00 am

mr. pony wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:this was a rare missed game for me and I'm glad I missed this one; talk about a heart breaker. How much more can this program endure? The fact that we were able to build that large a lead over UAB reinforces my belief that there is more talent on this team than what they are showing. With that kind of lead, I'm of the belief you keep the pedal to the floor until you crush the other team's will to compete (not unlike the football team's Hawaii Bowl performance), but sounds like we went into "protect the lead" mode? This team full of guards and big guys who can run the floor needs to get out and run. Of course, it would help to have more than the usual 1500 supporting the home team when you need that little bit of extra energy to finish.

Come on, man. Don't blame the lack of fans. Some folks simply can't watch it.

Not BLAMING the fans...just pointing out that it would help this team if Moody was a hostile environment for our opponents...and the fact that guys get energized playing in front of large crowds.
Charleston Pony

Postby Pony_Fan » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:11 am

DW basically plays the entire game every game. Where would we be w/out him...Who is playing point next year? we obviously have some issues with ball handling.
Pony_Fan

Postby PonyDoh » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:13 am

Pony_Fan wrote:DW basically plays the entire game every game. Where would we be w/out him...Who is playing point next year? we obviously have some issues with ball handling.

ten million dollar question. Neither Pats or McCoy can handle it
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby George S. Patton » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:25 am

When Texas Tech fans who have seen the YouTube stuff pull out the "stay classy" card, that's when you know you have problems. What Doherty did was inexcusable. This is a product of a man who has lost the inner being of his program. Money be damned-- fire him!
George S. Patton

Postby ponyscott » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:33 am

PonyDoh wrote:
Pony_Fan wrote:DW basically plays the entire game every game. Where would we be w/out him...Who is playing point next year? we obviously have some issues with ball handling.

If there is ANY way they can get the kid out of Vegas to sign with us at PG...he would play right away and looks pretty heady with great leadership skills and toughness.
ponyscott

Postby PonyDoh » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:40 am

ponyscott wrote:
PonyDoh wrote:

If there is ANY way they can get the kid out of Vegas to sign with us at PG...he would play right away and looks pretty heady with great leadership skills and toughness.

shhhhhhhhh, premium info....lol
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball