PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Offical SMU vs Memphis thread

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Offical SMU vs Memphis thread

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:07 am

sounds like Doh just lost his cool; while it may be frustrating trying to compete against a school with minimal academic standards for athletes, it's not like Doherty didn't know that coming in. The losses seem to have him more and more frustrated and I have to wonder whether some of his "short fuse" gets back to all the speculation about his being let go at the end of this season.

I do like the fact that this team doesn't quit. Let's hope they can finish these last 4 games on a high note and go into CUSA Tourney play with some momentum.

Beat ECU
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyDoh » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:54 am

Charleston Pony wrote:sounds like Doh just lost his cool; while it may be frustrating trying to compete against a school with minimal academic standards for athletes, it's not like Doherty didn't know that coming in. The losses seem to have him more and more frustrated and I have to wonder whether some of his "short fuse" gets back to all the speculation about his being let go at the end of this season.

I do like the fact that this team doesn't quit. Let's hope they can finish these last 4 games on a high note and go into CUSA Tourney play with some momentum.

Beat ECU

Honestly, he's just a feisty dude and never was regarded as particularly classy, even at UNC. That said, I'm glad he's venting on other squads and staffs more then our own kids.
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ontheedgeofmyseat » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:57 am

Memphis State is basically the "one eyed king of a blind country" concept. Terrible city, poor academic school (13th grade, by most accouts), no football / athletic tradition, think U of H's second cousin...basketball is ALL they got..Bball is the ONLY thing the "alums" and city can hang their collective hats on...so, when you beat them, when you rattle their Dana Kirk cage, when you point out the slew of NIT banners vs. NCAA banners, when you reference "Memphis Tech / Memphis High / SAT's of 17", that big ole juicy chip on their shoulder gets aroused..for the head of their Rebounders Club to be the one hassling Doh, dishing out the crap he was, says alot about the style and class of Memphis State...I wish Doh would have just keep walking...but, I used to live there, MSU fans are some of the nastiest around..sometimes it's REAL tough to walk by a complete lame brain, high school educated [deleted] hole who thinks his MSU [deleted] smells like a bouqet of budding red roses...at the end of the day, we are SMU and they are still Memphis State.
ontheedgeofmyseat
Heisman

Postby Pony_Fan » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:40 am

The guy doing all the tweeting and "reporting" covers Memphis bball for the Commercial Appeal. If you read his tweets he acts like he goes to school there as a frat boy.
Pony_Fan

Postby ponyscott » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:16 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:sounds like Doh just lost his cool; while it may be frustrating trying to compete against a school with minimal academic standards for athletes, it's not like Doherty didn't know that coming in. The losses seem to have him more and more frustrated and I have to wonder whether some of his "short fuse" gets back to all the speculation about his being let go at the end of this season.

Beat ECU

Hes' just showing a passion and is sticking up for his kids....that's Doh's style, like or leave it. I like it better than chewing on his kids....I am certain that the jawing by those crazy Memphis fans egged him on, but you know what?....thats also going to create some intensity between the squads. Thats one way a rivalry commences.
But lets not get carried away with academic standards, classless Memphis fans, etc. Has anyone been to a Duke/North Carolina game? Do you really think that those fans are any more classy? The things that are said between those teams and many other rivals around the country are all on the same level and are meant to hit hard and quickly, to get a reaction.Memphis fans are no different or less classy because of where they are,who they are or what they say.
ponyscott

Postby TigerKitten » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:25 pm

Ok, those of you bashing on the city of Memphis, what's up with that? I live there and as such am well aware of the crime, poverty, and infant mortality rate that defines the city. There's nothing wrong with the University of Memphis or it's academics. Because of what happened with ONE player during ONE season? I don't even like Derrick Rose anymore, he should be ashamed for letting down his teammates, the school, and the city. But what does he care? He's makin' bank in the NBA. That's all he wanted all along. He never wanted to get a higher education. He just wanted to play basketball. But what he doesn't realize is the hurt and disappointment that he's left us with. Most Tiger fans aren't fond of our previous coach either. Not because he left us, but because he's a snake. Guess that's exactly what they were lookin' for up in Kentucky. Fine with us, we love Coach Pastner and believe he'll put us back on top...soon. As for last night's game, let's face it, the Tigers have and probably always will dominate CUSA. If SMU is supposed to be such a classy school, why don't you get a new coach? He showed no class whatsoever last night- and in our house! It's intense playing in the Forum, it holds 18,000 passionate, screaming Tiger fans. But this kinda thing happens in every arena in the country, he needs to be a professional and shake it off. For those posters that showed respect for the U of M and it's Tigers- thanks- you're what SMU fans should be. And BTW- I had a professor last semster that used to teach at SMU...she literally said students would try to BUY their way through her class...wow, way to go with those outstanding academics...just sayin'. GO TIGERS!
TigerKitten

Postby CalallenStang » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:29 pm

I had a professor last semster that used to teach at SMU...she literally said students would try to BUY their way through her class

Name names. Who is that professor? I've never, once, witnessed what you are alleging.
CalallenStang

Postby TigerKitten » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:35 pm

Dr. Helen Perkins- college of education. She said it, you know it happens.
TigerKitten

Postby shadowman » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:56 pm

TigerKitten wrote:Dr. Helen Perkins- college of education. She said it, you know it happens.

Sure it happens, at all schools, even Memphis, cept at memphis you can buy a grade with a carton of Kools and a bottle of Boons farm.
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby CalallenStang » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:21 pm

TigerKitten wrote:Dr. Helen Perkins- college of education. She said it, you know it happens.

All I'll say is that I've never seen it with my own eyes. Fair enough?
CalallenStang

Postby ontheedgeofmyseat » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:44 pm

Typical Memphis State response....see the most recent issue of Forbes, that outlined the 30 "Most Miserable Cities in the US"..Mempho = #3...I am ALL about yelling and screamin' and razzing, etc, etc, etc...but, at MSU, it is REALLY mean spirited, nasty, goes over the top...SMU is certainly one that has had its issues wit the NCAA, but come on, Dana Kirk??!! Cal??!! MSU has a storied history of low low low grad rates and scandal. The "Kings of the NIT" can dish it out, but like most bullies, can't take it..this is a prime example. We kicked their little backsides and they did not like that..whine whine whine was the mode in the Comical Appeal ALL week..now they try to assert we are the bad guys..please! Speaking of academics / grades..I know TONS of little sorority babes who have told me over the years it is LAUGHABLE when it comes to Bball player class attendance, grades, scores and academic performance...LAUGHABLE. Go Ponies!!
ontheedgeofmyseat
Heisman

Postby PonyDoh » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:53 pm

more disillusioned MSU fans plz
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby TigerKitten » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:07 am

You can't classify an entire city like that. Memphis has a lot of history and tradition and actually a lot of money too, believe it or not. Just 'cause some thugs won't get jobs and like to shoot at each other...that's only in certain neighborhoods. I'm gonna take the high side and not stoop to hatin' on a school and student body that I know nothing about and really couldn't care much less. It's natural to dislike whatever your superior competition is. You're forgiven. GO TIGERS =)
TigerKitten

Postby papawasamustang » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:09 am

TigerKitten wrote:You can't classify an entire city like that. Memphis has a lot of history and tradition and actually a lot of money too, believe it or not. Just 'cause some thugs won't get jobs and like to shoot at each other...that's only in certain neighborhoods. I'm gonna take the high side and not stoop to hatin' on a school and student body that I know nothing about and really couldn't care much less. It's natural to dislike whatever your superior competition is. You're forgiven. GO TIGERS =)

Congrats on your big win Saturday night. Payback is so sweet isn't it?
I really liked the team had Keith Lee & Finch @ Memphis St.
They had one of my all time favorite sports names on that
team. Anyone remember Baskerville Holmes? Too bad he shot
his girlfriend & turned the gun on himself.
"We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors."
papawasamustang
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:25 am

To quote Northwestern fans: "That's all right, that's okay, you're going to work for us some day!" Now go back and flip that burger its getting burned.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball