PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Mavs

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Mavs

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:59 am

things are quiet for SMU hoops right now, but has anybody figured out what in the heck the Mavericks are trying to do this offseason? The Walker trade is ok, but I think I might have kept Jamison. Not sure what Stackhouse does for you with Finley entrenched here. Letting Nash go was probably the right thing, but it seems to have led to a patched together roster with little chance at the playoffs in the West.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony_Fan » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:05 pm

I think they are pretty messed up right now. The nucleus is gone and they will have a lot of trouble this year. Nellie's little mad scientist experiments can only last so long. I am not sure how well Nellie and Cuban get a long anymore. I would have traded Finley away last year. He brings nothing to the table on a consistent basis.
Pony_Fan

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:51 pm

I'd agree Finley is pretty limited. He doesnt drive to the basket anymore and he doesn't play defense. Good leadership skills, but his contract makes him untradable at this point.
Hoop Fan

Postby ponyboy » Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:51 pm

These guys have been slowly assembling trade bait. The Shaq trade fell through, which would have been the answer to many a Mav fans' prayers. There's rumors of a move for Jason Kidd -- a move I'd wholeheartedly support if we didn't have to give up too much -- but that leaves us still too small. I think Cuban's playing cards here. So far no aces.
ponyboy

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:19 pm

No doubt that Little Whistle has assembled a strange group. The sudden departure of Nash completely shocked the entire organization and I think they are still stunned. Then you have the Stackhouse deal which was made for Shaq trade bait. For some reason the Mavs have been mentioned in almost every big trade or on every big free agent's list but so far they have come up empty.

Now they are forced to make some sort of deal just to get the fans feeling better. As soon as that two month rule has passed for trading Stackhouse I anticipate they will make a serious run at Kidd. But that will still leave us empty in the middle, which is a problem that has haunted this organization since day one. BTW, I am most upset we didn’t make a run at K. Martin. He’s a local guy and brings everything to table the Mavs are missing (attitude, hard fouls, rebounds, and scores in the paint)
LA_Mustang

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:00 pm

LA, I thought the same thing, how was Dallas not in on Kenyon Martin? I'm sure it was a salary cap issue of some kind. He would have been perfect here. Cuban has overpaid guys in the past to state the obvious, and has little flexibility now.
Hoop Fan

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:55 am

Things have gotten very quiet in Mavs land since Nash left. We as fans have no idea what really happens leading up to these trades, so I guess it is unfair to say they made no effort to get Martin but when you see that the Nuggets only gave up three draft picks (just one was their own) makes you think that Dallas could have made a better offer?? And as we said, he would have been perfect here. Oh well. At least we still have Shawn Bradley roaming the lane and how could you go wrong with that?
LA_Mustang

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:06 am

Well......it looks like the Mavs pulled the trigger on a Dampier trade. Basically they are sending Najera and Laettner to Golden State for Dampier. The problem I have with Dampier is that last year was his only solid season, a contract year, and his work ethic has been questioned. He IS much better than any big man the Mavs have now but this team still doesn't seem right to me??? I hope Kidd is on the way.
LA_Mustang

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:47 am

Gotta love Najera, but I'll take my chances with Dampier. And thank god, no Christian Laetner here, I think that guy is a cancer. I like the trade alot. Like you LA, I hope this is not the end of changes, this still doesnt look like much of a playoff team. My starters today:

Jason Terry, Finley, Stackhouse, Nowitski and Dampier. With Daniels off the bench quickly.
Hoop Fan

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:15 pm

HF, I heard something today that's kinda interesting? There was never a press conference introducing Stackhouse or Terry to the Dallas media and those trades occurred over a month ago. For someone that loves media attention as much as Cuban, don’t you find that strange? It makes me think that both are involved in a future deal. Kidd?????

BTW, my starting five:
Terry, Daniels, Fin, Dirk, and Dampier. With Stackhouse and Howard off the bench.
LA_Mustang

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:50 pm

I did hear something about that on the Ticket and its very interesting. I dont buy the part about the coaches being out of pocket either. Sure would be great to get Kidd after losing Nash. I was never a huge Kidd fan, but he would make the Mavs a contender again. How bout trading Finley for Kidd again, this time going the opposite way? I can dream cant I? I really like Fin, but I'm afraid his game has passed him by. Tell me LA, would you choose to start Finley or is it because you would have to based on his contract and reputation?
Hoop Fan

Re:

Postby SWC2010 » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:20 pm

Hoop Fan wrote:I did hear something about that on the Ticket and its very interesting. I dont buy the part about the coaches being out of pocket either. Sure would be great to get Kidd after losing Nash. I was never a huge Kidd fan, but he would make the Mavs a contender again. How bout trading Finley for Kidd again, this time going the opposite way? I can dream cant I? I really like Fin, but I'm afraid his game has passed him by. Tell me LA, would you choose to start Finley or is it because you would have to based on his contract and reputation?

---
Help me HoopFan. How is Nash a loss for the Mavs? His quickness (or rather, his lack of it) has been displayed in the last year(s) playoffs. That was a ton of money for a player who would struggle getting minutes today on most ACC teams. What am I missing?????????
SWC2010
Heisman

Sam Donaldson - Center

Postby BUS » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:32 am

I tink back to all my years here in Dallas and Sam D. is who I would like back on the Mavs. Not a superstar but very good center. If we had him last year, in his prime, he could have won the whole thing.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby Mike Damone » Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:29 pm

Nash is huge loss, because he ran the offense, but it was the right decision to let him go. Just because it was the right decision doesn't mean that we won't miss him. I like the combo of Terry and Harris at point, with Daniels also available, much more than I like bringing in Kidd. I just don't see the Mavs bringing in a guard who can't shoot. And have you seen his contract? Alot of $$$$ left on there. About 40 million more than we could've given Nash.

Dampier was a great move. The guy's athletic, can run the floor, and won't be asked to do much more than play solid defense and hit open shots when Dirk gets doubled.

I think a lineup of:
1-Terry, Harris
2-Daniels, Stackhouse
3-Finley, Howard
4-Dirk, Henderson
5-Dampier, Booth

is pretty solid. They can certainly score points and Daniels, Howard, Dampier, and reportedly Harris, are all solid defenders. Not sure about Terry, but he can't be worse on the defensive end than Nash.
Mike Damone
All-American

Re: Sam Donaldson - Center

Postby Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:06 pm

BUS wrote:I tink back to all my years here in Dallas and Sam D. is who I would like back on the Mavs. Not a superstar but very good center. If we had him last year, in his prime, he could have won the whole thing.

Sam D? Do you mean James Donaldson? It'd be interesting if Sam Donaldson played center. heh
Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex
Hall of Famer

Return to Basketball