PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Aliou Kane

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Aliou Kane

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:08 pm

remember this guy who we recruited hard a couple years ago? He went to Minnesota, but apparently ended up at Collin County JC last year. DMN says today that he has committed to TCU over us. He's 6'10, 245. We need bigs but this guy probably would play the same position as Ike O. My guess is Tubbs has other recruits in mind and lots of possibilities for his scholarship spots.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stampede » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:43 pm

I know Alou and can most confidently say....

SMU did not offer Alou a 'ship. This is in no way a slight to Alou. He is a hard working player and an even better person. However, Coach Tubbs knows the direction he wants to take the program and it simply did not provide room for Alou.

Best of luck to Alou Kane!!
SMU...2nd to None
Stampede
All-American

Postby The XtC » Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:00 pm

Actually HF, Kane was at Minnessotta last year, he didnt enter Collin County until a few weeks ago. He played in about half the Gophers games last year and averaged half a point and half a rebound per game. In 2 years at Minnesotta he totaled 35 minutes of playing time, 35 points, and 37 rebounds.

I dont want to be mean to the kid, but he was a bust. He was a big physical specimen that was completely raw skills-wise. Alot of teams recruited him when he was young because they thought he would develop into a player, but so far he doesnt seem to be making progress. Down the road a bit he may help the Frogs, they need another big body inside, but right now I would say TCU just signed another Brian Carter, a tall kid who never lived up to his recruiting ranking.

SMU did offer Kane out of high school, but Coach Tubbs didnt have any interest in the guy transferring here now. Incidentally, there is another post player that SMU once recruited who just left a big time program and transferred to a junior college. First person to guess who wins a free soda at the next football game, courtesy of: The XtC.
The XtC
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:08 pm

These are the only guys I remember:

Warren Carter/Illinois - I haven't heard anything about him transferring
Chris Low/ASU (I think?????) - I have no clue about him currently
Stephen Verwers/Colorado St. - I'm not sure if you consider Colorado St big time
LA_Mustang

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:28 pm

The ultimate prize would be Ike Diogu of Az State, he's never seemed settled there. Other guys SMU recruited are Jason Klotz of Texas (in trouble of some kind?) and Armein Kirkland of Cincinnati.
Hoop Fan

Postby The XtC » Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:07 pm

You guys are cheating, you only get one guess each. Pick one, and make it official.
The XtC
Heisman

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:57 pm

Diogu was and is my guess. I'd love for Tubbs to get a second shot at all the names mentioned though.
Hoop Fan

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:43 pm

LA, come on and make your guess, I'm curious to know who XtC is referring to.
Hoop Fan

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:21 am

If I had to guess I would say Warren Carter.

I cant imagine Diogu leaving ASU and going to a JC. He is probably the leading candidate for PAC-10 player of the year and a first or second team All-American. That would be a huge story.
LA_Mustang

Postby Hoop Fan » Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:37 am

yea, youre right, I didnt focus on the part that said its already happened and the guy has entered a JC. That would be big news for Diogu. Oh well, I guess XtC left us hangin anyway.
Hoop Fan

Postby The XtC » Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:19 pm

ERMMMMMMP! Wrong, but thank you both for playing. You were both kind of close, but sadly we arent playing with horshoes or high explosives.

Swing looooooooowwwwwwwwwww, Sweeeeet Charioooooot. Comin for to carry me hooooooooooome..... Swing Low.............
The XtC
Heisman

Postby Hoop Fan » Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:47 pm

good call, LA, you named him anyway. Thanks for the info XtC. Do you know why he went to JC, hopefully not grades? Does he have his eye on SMU at all?
Hoop Fan

Postby True Colors » Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:13 am

Warren Carter went to Illinois because he was wowed by head coach Bill Self. Unfortunately for Carter, Self bolted for Kansas before Carter even got there. There has always been talk about him being unhappy and leaving. Good player who would probably like to be closer to home.

Maybe there is something to the Diogu situation that I am missing. He was the Pac-10 freshmen of the year last season, and a consensus preseason all american for this upcoming year. I think that he's started in every single game that he has been there. Is there more to the situation than meets the eye?

TC
True Colors
Scout Team

Postby The XtC » Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:35 pm

No, there's nothing to Ike Diogu's situation that doesnt meet the eye, He will be at Arizona State until the day he is drafted by the NBA. He couldnt play at a junior college anyway, he's already been at ASU for 2 seasons. Perhaps I shouldnt have been quite so cryptic. Chris Low is the player we once recruited who has left Arizona State.
Try not to choke on the Kool-Aid.
The XtC
Heisman

Postby giacfsp » Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:23 pm

I heard ASU was very high on Low (OK, that sounded weird), but I don't know any more than that.
giacfsp
Heisman

Return to Basketball