PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Schedule

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby OldPony » Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:43 pm

Didn't we beat TT with these same players last year?
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Pony_Fan » Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:06 pm

I'd say Tech home court = advantage. SMU squeaked that one out last year.
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mexmustang » Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:55 pm

Whatever, just root for a big win.
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

Postby indianmustang » Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:39 pm

i was there for last year win over ttech ,it was awesome experience
indianmustang

Postby OldPony » Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:08 pm

I guess the question is though "If we are in better shape and have a better coach, has TT done anything to make us think we shouldn't win again?" We really didn't lose much off last year's team and everyone has another years experience and growth. If JTubbs is really the man, we ought to be better. We all expected Dement to be better this coming year before he got fired.
OldPony
Heisman

Re:

Postby jtstang » Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:37 pm

OldPony wrote:I guess the question is though "If we are in better shape and have a better coach, has TT done anything to make us think we shouldn't win again?" We really didn't lose much off last year's team and everyone has another years experience and growth. If JTubbs is really the man, we ought to be better. We all expected Dement to be better this coming year before he got fired.

That game is going to be close and could go either way, and BK will have Tech ready to play after his surprise in Moody last year. Could be a defensive struggle if everything said about Tubbs' regimen on this forum is true.
jtstang

Postby The XtC » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:05 pm

OP's points are quite valid, and frankly I am unwilling to concede Tech as the favorite in this game. The Raiders lost 4 starters and most of their bench contributors from last years team. Their recruiting class is solid, but I dont really see anyone making an early impact. I may revise that when the season starts, but for now it looks like their recruits wont play a major role this year.
The only returning starter is sophomore guard Jay Jackson, a quality player, but I dont think he is ready to be the focal point of their offense. They need to find him some help at the offensive end, and I dont see anyone on their roster who has shown they can step up, yet.

We'll know more about Tech after the season starts, but right now I'd say this is anyone's game, even in Lubbock. They are a young team (2 seniors, no juniors, 6 sophomores, and 3 freshmen) and they have to break in a new lineup. We play them in the 3rd game of the year, and it may take them longer than that to gel as a team.

Most Interesting Matchup: The Ofoegbus. Ike's older brother John is a redshirt-sophomore at Tech. In high school, John was always bigger, but a late growth spurt has pulled Ike up to big brothers size. This could be fun to watch. I cant say how much either one will play, but I'm hoping to see them post up on each other.
The XtC
Heisman

Previous

Return to Basketball