PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Heckler U

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Heckler U

Postby ponyboy » Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:00 pm

Did anyone see the story in the DMN today about heckling? Fun, fun read. SMU was mentioned prominently in the story and they even interviewed one of our students, the self proclaimed "king of hecklers at SMU."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/091704dnspoheckle.cbc09.html
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DiamondM » Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:03 pm

I saw that, but there was no explanation of what qualified him for the title. Since I attend every home game, and know good heckling when I see/hear it, I'd like some examples of the "king of heckling's" work. I seldom hear anything out of the student section is the tired chant of "BS" or "Sit down coach" or "you suck." The band is better, but still could improve on their creativity, in my book. Maybe he's in the band? Good heckling requires research, personalization, and creativity.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:59 pm

Duke is the best. They do their heckling research. Wasn't there a Wizard of Oz theme for Roy Williams? "I am not in Kansas anymore" - I heard something like that.
Pony_Fan

Postby WildHorse » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:35 pm

There was a group of guys in the early 1990s who sat behind the visitors' bench in Moody who were the best. I think they also did their research pretty well, because they always seemed to know more than the basic material that was on the program/poster thing. One game in particular, they just about ate TT coach James Dickey alive. I was nearly crying I was laughing so hard. They weren't obscene, but they torched that poor guy. He actually was a good sport and went into the crowd and shook a couple of their hands after the game. But there were times in the second half when it seemed like he was more worried about them than he was in what was going on out on the floor. Greatness. Wish I knew who those guys were.
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Postby EastStang » Sat Sep 25, 2004 2:22 pm

Good research and also knowing when a player is just having an off night. If a guy bricks his first three and someone starts saying give it to clank, and then when he throws the next brick, yells clank, the player really gets steamed and sometimes presses too hard.
EastStang

Return to Basketball