PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

7 foot committment

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

7 foot committment

Postby EastStang » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:22 am

Well we apparently landed a 7 footer from Oak Hill Academy (good basketball training school). He may be little on the thin side, but hopefully he'll hit the weight room and the training table. I'll have to keep an eye out to see if they play up here in DC this winter. We apparently beat out Clemson, Va. Tech, and South Carolina. Two ACC programs and an SEC program. He apparently played AAU ball in Texas this summer and liked it down here. Good start Jimmy.
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:56 am

Bamba Fall - 6'11"/190lbs - Oak Hill Academy

He's from Nigeria and has a connection to the Plano area. Rivals and Insiders both give him 2 stars but its only because he's an unknown. He will get great coaching and great experience at Oak Hill. This could end up being a huge get by Coach Tubbs.
LA_Mustang

Postby Smubrotha' » Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:30 am

Looks Like he is the son of a Dallas Maverick's Coach!

Diene also recently attended the Babacar Sy Basketball Camp in the Senegal in July and was ranked as the best player in camp. Sy, who is very familiar with both Diene and 6'11 Jr Khadim "Bamba" Fall, who is enrolling at Mouth of Wilson (Oak Hill) VA this fall, thinks Diene is the better of the two right now, although Diene is a younger than Fall. Diene also is meaner, tougher and more ready to step in and play immediately than Fall. So when we put all this into perspective, if Fall is ranked among the top 30 juniors nationally by the HOOP SCOOP, Diene probably should be in that same top range 30 nationally in the senior class and he probably has an even bigger upside. :D Diene, Fall, and 6'9 Jr Samba Gueye from Senegal, who has a 7'5 wing span and recently made an early verbal commitment to USC, are among about 10 players from the Senegal who will be attending the first ever African Top 100 Camp in Johannesburg, South Africa from September 2nd-7th. This camp is modeled after the NIKE All-American Camp and adidas ABCD Camp and is being run by Dallas Mavericks scout Amado Fall and former Michigan State All-American Sam Vincent, who is now the coach of the South African National Team.
Smubrotha'

Postby Hoop Fan » Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:26 am

Am I reading that right, Hoopscoop has this guy as a top 30 national player? Is that for his position or overall?

Also, is it possible to be 6'11 and only 190? I know it is, but wow.
Hoop Fan

Postby OldPony » Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:31 am

Yeah- I was impressed by both the 6'11 and the 190 lbs but not in the same way. He'll make Rack look like Shaq. Does anyone have any game stats etc on the young man? He looks like a project but with that height a good one to pursue.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby ponydawg » Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:09 pm

i am pretty sure i saw him on the blvd this weekend......I mean how many very tall, very dark, very skinny 7 footers do we have coming to the blvd? he was hanging out with some of the other b-ball players......he obviously reminded me and my friends of Manute Bol.

Looking forward to seeing him play!
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Corso » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:01 pm

I was waiting for the first Manute Bol reference - congrats, ponydawg.

Yes, that was Fall on the Boulevard this weekend. And as slender as he looks, most reports I've seen have him at 220 or so. (For comparison, when Bol was drafted out of the University of Bridgeport by the Washington then-Bullets, he was 190 pounds -- and 7-foot-7.) This guy is slender, that guy was skinny.

Terrific pickup for Coach Tubbs!
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby The Q » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:39 pm

Great job, Jimmy T!

By the way, I read the 6'11"/190 report - which was measured at the beginning of his junior year. Newest I've seen on him reads 7'1"/215.

Get him to Coach Faucette and the cafeteria - quick!
Hell of a start on recruiting.
The Q
Varsity

Postby scoop dog » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:57 pm

The 190 pounds strikes me as being innacurrate. He does look a good bit heavier than that. I'd guess at least 220, as the other poster mentioned. Furthermore, his frame looks like it could easily hold another 50 pounds or so(he has pretty broad shoulders), which is another plus for him.

Bamba Fall appears to have a tremendous amount of upside. He is athletic, and moves well for someone of his height--athletic and fluid. He is not stiff.

IMO, the biggest challenge for him will be simply learning to play the game of basketball. He seems to be pretty new at it. He will get better and better as he is able to work on his fundamentals. For example, when he gets a rebound on on defense, he needs to learn to look up the floor for teammates which he can possibly pass the ball to in outlet situations. He also will need to improve his footwork and positioning on on the low blocks, so that his on ball defense will be effective. I predict that when he starts off in college, you will see him in a lot of zone situations while he is developing in this area.

On offense, he is still quite raw. He will need someone to work with him to learn some post moves. With his long arms and wide frame, he looks like he could be pretty devestating if he could master a hook shot. His jump shooting needs a great deal of work also.

He does look athletic enough to do all of these things, it will just be a matter of him getting in the gym and going to work at it. He is not a top 30 national player right now, but by the time he graduates from college, he might possibly be a top 30 senior.

Very nice pickup with good potential.
scoop dog

Return to Basketball