PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

It pains me to tell you

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Rush

Postby Boston Pony » Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:12 pm

Please let us not mention Rush Limbaugh together with 'pain' or together with sports commentary...
Boston Pony
Varsity

Postby ClassOf81 » Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:50 pm

The world would be a better place if he's never mentioned at all. Especially on a sports messageboard like this.

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum from you, EastStang. When I was living up there, I really got into the Birds of Cal Ripken, Mike Mussina (who I refuse to recognize as a Yankee - he remains an Oriole in my mind, if not for Peter DEVILos screwing things up from the owner's office), etc.

With my loyalty revealed, I must say that the move of the Expos to DC is an awful thing. It will cut into the fanbase for the Birds, and will diminish the revenues DEVILos uses to spend on players (let's not get into whether they earn what they're paid - it's been a long time for this suffering O's fan). They've been on a bad skid in recent years, but Baltimore is one of the great franchises in baseball, and the move of the Expos to DC will only weaken it.
ClassOf81
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:55 am

That's a bogus argument. The Orioles won two Pennants when the Senators were in Washington. Further, they managed to sweep Sandy Koufax and the Dodgers in the 1966 World Series. The Mets and Yankees aren't suffering. The White Sox and Cubs aren't suffering. The Giants and A's aren't suffering. The DC/Baltimore corridor can support two teams. It helps baseball to have the two leagues close together. If I want to go to B'more to see the Yankees or the Red Sox play the Orioles, I can do that. If Baltimore fans want to see the Cubs, Cards, Dodgers or Giants they can come to DC. Wouldn't it be great to someday have the Orioles play the Washington team in the World Series. I agree that Angelos will lose some attendance, but not much. Most No. Va. and DC folks went to few games and Marylander's may very well stay loyal to the O's or have split loyalty. I understand they are going to work to try to avoid simultaneous dates as other teams do with a NL/AL nearby team. So, you can go to twice as many games now.
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Previous

Return to Basketball