PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

It pains me to tell you

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

It pains me to tell you

Postby OldPony » Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:17 pm

SMU's best basketball player ever (Jon Koncac) was chosen the 16th worst draft choice in the history of pro sports. Wow
OldPony
Heisman

Postby jtstang » Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:40 pm

So what? I'd take a Koncak-type player on this team in a second. Of course, I certainly would not pay as much as Bliss did this time around....
jtstang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: It pains me to tell you

Postby StangEsq » Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:06 pm

OldPony wrote:SMU's best basketball player ever (Jon Koncac) was chosen the 16th worst draft choice in the history of pro sports. Wow

That's the sixteenth dumbest comment in the history of sports opinions.

Koncak was at least somewhat productive... there are about 5 Mavericks draft picks who were worse... and what about Joe Kleine? There's another pick that was worse... one spot after Koncak I believe.
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:10 pm

Jon Koncak had an 11 year NBA career, that fact alone exempts him from the ‘all-time’ worst category.

Let’s see…our own Dallas Mavericks have drafted Bill Garnett, Doug Smith, Randy White and Cherokee Parks…all of which were done with the ~10th pick in the draft. Did they make that list?
SoCal_Pony

Postby Pony_Fan » Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:32 pm

Pony_Fan

Postby Pony Fan » Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:18 pm

Who cares...he was really good for us the last two years.
Pony Fan
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:02 am

I am truly shocked that none of the Bullets/Wizards picks made this list. Hot plate Williams, the series of guys no one ever heard of from Wake Forest, Kwame Brown, and the list goes on and on. At least they did give the Redskins credit for Heath Shuler. They might have added Bobby Carpenter who was the Capitals #1 choice one year, the can't miss kid, who was a servicable center in the NHL but whose highest season was like 50 points.
EastStang

Re:

Postby ClassOf81 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:32 am

EastStang wrote:I am truly shocked that none of the Bullets/Wizards picks made this list. Hot plate Williams, the series of guys no one ever heard of from Wake Forest, Kwame Brown, and the list goes on and on. At least they did give the Redskins credit for Heath Shuler. They might have added Bobby Carpenter who was the Capitals #1 choice one year, the can't miss kid, who was a servicable center in the NHL but whose highest season was like 50 points.

Now you're speaking my language, East Stang (I used to live up there).

Hot Plate (a.k.a. "John") Williams actually had some talent. He couldn't get away from the dinner table, but there was some ability there.

But as for the Wake kid .... Kenny Green! Taken two spots ahead of Karl Malone - NICE.

Kwame Brown still will be a nice player, (Portland thought Jermaine O'Neal was a bust after three years, too - oops). I'll see your Kwame Brown pick and raise you Mel Turpin - remember that walking donut store? Or how about Anthony Jones? Brilliant pick...

Hard to say if Shuler would have developed - his injuries cut short his career, and QBs don't develop overnight. And Bobby Carpenter wasn't the American Gretzky, but he had a pretty solid career. There are a lot of players who would love to have "disappointed" like Carpenter.

Since you live up in that area, if you're going over bust picks, check out the list of recent Orioles first-rounders. Ugh.
ClassOf81
Heisman

Postby OldPony » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:52 am

I really didn't see why he was a worse pick than Raef LaFrentz either. I think he was SMU's best ever behind only Krebs. He must have made someone at ESPN mad.
OldPony
Heisman

Re:

Postby DallasDiehard » Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:14 pm

ClassOf81 wrote: .... Since you live up in that area, if you're going over bust picks, check out the list of recent Orioles first-rounders. Ugh.

Like Darnell McDonald, the former UTexas RB signee. He's panned out nicely, hasn't he? Has he ever made it to the bigs, even for a September call-up?
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:02 am

I've never really warmed up to the Orioles. I went to maybe 1 or 2 games a year with a friend who had a ticket to give away. I grew up hating them because I was one of like three people who actually watched the old Senators. Today is a truly great day in Washington, baseball has returned. It was such big news that it beat out the story that Congress had voted to repeal the gun ban in DC.
EastStang

Postby OldPony » Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:45 am

I heard that the first game promotion was to be "Hand Gun Night".(:
OldPony
Heisman

Re:

Postby jtstang » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:10 am

OldPony wrote:I heard that the first game promotion was to be "Hand Gun Night".(:

They can get Marion Berry to throw out the first pitch, but they have to be sure he's clear that's only chalk on the baselines....
jtstang

Postby OldPony » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:51 am

Dan Rather has been hired to do play by play but he will only report hits by those who bat from the left side.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby abezontar » Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:33 pm

Rumor has it that they are trying to get Rush Limbaugh or Bill O'Reilly to call the hits from those who bat righty. That would be an interesting broadcasting booth.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Basketball