PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Good News for Hopkins

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Good News for Hopkins

Postby SMULLET » Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:36 am

Looks like Hopkins will start against UT Tyler. woo hoo!

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... ad582.html
SMULLET
Junior Varsity

Postby jtstang » Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:33 am

Well then I guess I need to retract my prior rants about the compliance guy at SMU, at least regarding the adverse consequences. Still don't think he was on the ball with allowing the Global games problem in the first place.
jtstang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:42 pm

I would hope Hopkins wouldn't even be needed for this game. Who is our backup PG at this point? We had serious trouble with Hopkins not in the game last year. Voc did not cut it and Isham is not a good ball handler. Did we lose a player on the roster? I forget his name but there was another freshman last year besides Pearson....?

Did Brian Miller graduate or did his back wear out? Is Ryan Hopkins really a bench guy? In warm ups he always nailed them.

Our shooting % must improve!!

http://www.smumustangs.com/roster.asp?sport=bballm
Pony_Fan

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:13 pm

Freshman Jon Killen should be Hop's backup. He’s really the only other PG we have on the roster. The guy we lost is Demetric Bennett. From what I hear he never fit in with the other guys and had a bad attitude. I believe he transferred to a directional Alabama (???) school. Miller is back and hopefully he'll give us something off the bench. It would be nice if he could regain that outside shooting touch he once had.
LA_Mustang

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:17 pm

Thanks, Miller is liability on defense but plays smart. Dement never let him play long enough periods. It takes a while to get in rythym off the bench and get in the flow of the game. If he missed a shot, Dement would pull him usually.
Pony_Fan

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:00 pm

It’s unfortunate that Miller has been plagued with injuries throughout his SMU career. People forget that he lead the DFW area in scoring his senior year and he played very well the first few games of his freshman year at SMU before getting injured. He was considered one of the better recruits coming out of Texas (top 10-15).....he could fill it up and jump very well.
LA_Mustang

Postby couch 'em » Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:32 pm

So if Hopkins is starting in that game, does that mean that he doesn't need to sit out a game, or are we just going to sit him at another occasion?
couch 'em

Postby giacfsp » Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:06 am

He won't sit out a game at all. This is GREAT news!
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby PonySnob » Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:26 am

Let's just hope that Hopkins finally plays to the level that all the hype around him warrants on a consistent basis.
PonySnob

Postby PonyFan » Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:05 pm

I poked my head into practice the other day, and Hopkins just looks different. For all his accomplishments in his first two years, I always thought he looked a little soft (physically). Not any more - he looks like he's a LOT stronger and quicker, and he has a lot more spring in his legs on jumpers. I'm hoping for a big year from BHop.
PonyFan
Heisman

Return to Basketball