PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Montana St. (scrimmage #2)

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Montana St. (scrimmage #2)

Postby LA_Mustang » Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:58 pm

Most magazines pick Montana St. to finish last in the Big Sky and they lost their opener to a bad Washington St. team, 59-42. They return only one starter and they STRUGGLE to score. It will be a road game but I don’t think we’ll be able to tell much about this team until the Okie St. game.
LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:38 pm

it's difficult for me to take any road opponent lightly, especially since Montana St looks like a guard oriented team and we are so thin at guard right now. Ritter & Roberts may have to see more minutes than Tubbs would like right now. One thing for sure...this is a game SMU needs to win to have a successful season.
Charleston Pony

Postby mrydel » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:14 am

Betting line has Montana a 1 point favorite
mrydel

Re: Montana St. (scrimmage #2)

Postby jtstang » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:21 am

LA_Mustang wrote:It will be a road game but I don’t think we’ll be able to tell much about this team until the Okie St. game.

Well, except if they can win on the road against a favored team.
jtstang

Postby stein000012 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:20 am

SMU is favored by 5 points.
stein000012
Junior Varsity

Postby OldPony » Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:50 am

The odds makers have no clue about SMU yet. New coach, new system. If Dement were here, the odds would be much higher for SMU to win but odds makers hate the unknowns. We have to prove something before we get any respect and Tubbs needs to show he can coach at this level. We need to put these guys away early and then the OSU game will let us know pretty quickly whether we have a competivie team. Here's hoping.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:40 pm

jtstang is right. not sure what i was thinking. i guess we should be able to tell a lot about our guys from playing a team returning only one starter from last year's 228th ranked college team (rpi).....and this is a school that's picked to finish last in the 22nd ranked division I basketball conference (big sky). i just hope we can keep it close.

also, stein's right, were a 5 point favorite.
LA_Mustang

Postby EastStang » Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:53 pm

Remember it should be at altitude, so depth will be important with a pressing defense.
EastStang

Re:

Postby jtstang » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:54 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:jtstang is right. not sure what i was thinking. i guess we should be able to tell a lot about our guys from playing a team returning only one starter from last year's 228th ranked college team (rpi).....and this is a school that's picked to finish last in the 22nd ranked division I basketball conference (big sky). i just hope we can keep it close.

also, stein's right, were a 5 point favorite.

Okay, I'll admit I did not research that myself, just took the other guy's word that we were one point 'dogs. Nevertheless, anybody who thinks this team does not have to prove something every time it steps on the floor is nuts. It is comprised of the same guys who quit last year in mid-season. We couldn't even pull away from two-bit UT-Tyler for godsake. If they're so bad and we're so good, why is it only a 5 point spread? I agree with you on one thing--I too hope we can keep it close.
jtstang

Postby mrydel » Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:39 pm

I will buy the 5 point spread now but it opened with us a 1 point underdog. I only mentioned that to point out that apparently this is not the cake walk that some have expected it to be, although I hope that is what it becomes.
mrydel

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:47 pm

jt,
you’re right (not being sarcastic this time) this team has a lot to prove. but don’t read too much into the tyler game. we have a new coach, a new system, several new players in important roles (roberts, ike, killen) and i'm sure it was tough getting the guys up for ut-tyler in front of 1500.

why are we only favored by 5 in this game? op explained it fairly well. i’ll be very surprised if we don’t win this game by at least 15 points.
LA_Mustang

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:55 pm

high of 41 degrees and a low of 14 expected in Montana tonight. Hope that arena is well heated and our guys can get warmed up and start quickly. Don't ever underestimate home court advantage. Just win, Ponies!
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:53 pm

say what you will about last night's game. Obviously there are positives and negatives but in the end I like this team's character to have fought and gotten this one into OT. Ultimately, it's a win. I seem to recall an early season loss last year at San Diego that really hurt SMU's chances of having a successful season. I just hope we can compete with Okie State. I'd hate to see us get blown out by 40 pts at Moody. Why didn't Chris Reay play last night? With Rack down, we are thin enough in the low post and will need every body we have on the roster contributing something.
Charleston Pony

Postby Pony_Fan » Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:33 am

Good question CP, I was wondering that myself. Maybe he didnt make the trip?
Pony_Fan

Postby Pony_Fan » Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:38 am

Good question CP, I was wondering that myself. Maybe he didnt make the trip?
Pony_Fan

Next

Return to Basketball