PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Daily Oklahoman

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Daily Oklahoman

Postby 50's PONY » Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:14 pm

OSU opens tough stretch with a trip to take on SMU

By Mike Baldwin
The Oklahoman

DALLAS - Because they returned several veterans from a Final Four team, Oklahoma State coaches beefed up the non-conference schedule.

The tell-tale portion of OSU's non-league schedule starts tonight at SMU. The Cowboys host Washington State on Saturday and play No. 4 Syracuse on Dec. 7 at Madison Square Garden. In December, OSU also hosts Alabama-Birmingham, a Sweet 16 team; visits UNLV; and plays No. 24 Gonzaga in the All-College Classic.

"This is a tough stretch for us," head coach designate Sean Sutton said. "I think we're going to find out a lot more about our team in the next three to four weeks."

The Cowboys were 15-0 at home last season but also had success away from Gallagher-Iba Arena. OSU was 7-2 on the road, 16-4 including neutral site games.

"This will be a challenge, but I think we're prepared for it," forward Joey Graham said. "Each individual has put a lot of work and a lot of dedication into this (season). It's a chance to show everybody last year's Final Four wasn't a fluke and we are a top-notch program who can compete with the best."

OSU dominated SMU 89-54 last season in the All-College Classic. The Mustangs, though, return four starters. SMU is 2-0 under first-year coach Jimmy Tubbs, who was an assistant the previous two seasons at Oklahoma under Kelvin Sampson.

"I think this is going to be a difficult game," Sutton said. "This probably will be their biggest crowd of the year. I'm sure their guys will be extremely motivated after what happened last year in the Ford Center."

Tubbs, an assistant for 12 years at SMU, helped recruit many of the players on the roster. Junior Bryan Hopkins averaged 17.7 points last season and is the preseason favorite for WAC Player of the Year. Mount St. Mary product Eric Castro, a 6-foot-8 senior, starts at center. Forward Patrick Simpson averaged 11.3 points last season.

"Bryan Hopkins is an extremely talented point guard who could maybe start at almost any Big 12 school," Sutton said. "He's that type of player. They have a better team. I've been impressed on film with the way Jimmy has coached this team. His team is playing hard. They've been extremely aggressive defensively and have done a good job executing their offense."

Tubbs, 55, is returning to his roots. Besides his 12 years at SMU and two seasons at OU, Tubbs was head coach at Dallas Kimball High School for eight years. At Kimball, Tubbs compiled a 232-42 record. His team won a state championship in 1990.

For Tubbs, SMU is the ideal job. His family lives in Dallas. His son, Andrew, is a walk-on fullback for the Mustangs' football team.

"This is home," Tubbs said. "It's been really good. I've enjoyed it a lot. I do miss the University of Oklahoma and coach Sampson. At the same time, it's always good to come back home. That was always my aspiration, to become a head coach. I've got to make sure I make the most of it."

When he was hired last spring, Tubbs promised Mustang fans better days are ahead for a program that has made only one NCAA Tournament appearance the past 16 years. But Tubbs said playing the defending Big 12 champion is a difficult assignment.

"Oklahoma State is really, really good," Tubbs said. "We're not in a position to play a team like that, yet. I definitely think they're one of the favorites to go to the Final Four. Our program is not that far along. I'm just being honest. I just hope we don't embarrass ourselves."
50's PONY
Heisman

Return to Basketball