PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU vs OSU

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby OldPony » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:03 pm

We are not a very good team unless Hopkins has a good shooting night. Unfortunately, he can't shoot worth cr&p. He has to be the most over-hyped player in SMU history. With Jemeil Rich instead of Hop, this is a pretty good team.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Pony_Fan » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:24 pm

Left the game early.

Positives:
Simpson looked ok. I still wish he was more agressive.
Isham shot the ball better from what I could tell. Chris Reay stepped
in and did some nice things. He hustles and is very active. Had some good
put backs and rebounds. I think he is a nice backup for Castro. Roberts is going to be a pretty good player I think.

Negatives:
Hopkins stunk. If he even played a half-way decent game, we lose by 10-14. Terrible decisions, sulking half the time with bad body language. I don't know the count but I don't think he has hit a three pointer in the last 2 games.

Lucas is the real deal. Is always in the right places at the right time. Hopkins could learn a thing or two watching him.
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby OldPony » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:34 pm

Let's try Dement. He can;t do worse than BHop (or maybe RHop)
OldPony
Heisman

Postby mustangbill67 » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:40 pm

The difference in this game was that Okie State clearly had better talent and we could not hit wide open shots. Played hard but a long way to go to compete at the top level.

Questions concerning tonights SMU attendance. I have several season mid court tickets on the student side but sat surrounded by orange. Are there blocks of season tickets where no one shows? Also why does SMU schedule intermural flag football games during a basketball game. Why aren't these kids at the BB game instead of playing flag football next door to Moody.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Fought Hard...but missed opportunities

Postby ponybutt » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:41 pm

The team played hard and fought hard tonight! The main problem was they missed at least 12 points that were lay ups! Ok St. didn't miss a single lay up. You have to convert when given the opportunity against the #6 team in the country.

Also, SMU missed so many free throws tonight I almost fainted! Ok St. shot 85% from the line? SMU has got to do the basics before they can beat a ranked team.

B-Hop played hard I thought, he simply couldn't buy a bucket. His good shots would rattle in the cylinder and bounce out; while his bad shots were air balls. I believe he was 1 for 11? He did have a nice two hand dunk along with 8 assists and 3 steals.

Finaly, can anyone tell me where the students were tonight? We should of had moody ROCKING and we didn't. There just wasn't the kind of electricity in the air that there should of been.
ponybutt
Junior Varsity

Postby Pony_Fan » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:51 pm

Students were a better showing than usual albeit VERY QUIET! I think the seniors from last year have left I guess. Let's face it, the SMU crowd is going to be weak regardless....6700 announced attendance.

Game recap link - talks about Eaton watching his future school and 60% of fans being in Orange.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gam ... onfId=null
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Diehard Pony » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:52 pm

Sorry for repeating anything someone above has posted, but I took a new potential fan to the game tonight (something I did not dare do during the football season). Prior to the game I told him Hopkins was the star, and said a few things about some of the other players.

About mid way through the first half he stated that I thought I had told him that Hopkins was the star. He said he makes very poor decisions passing the ball; couldn't hit a shot if his life depended on it, and he no match for Lucas defensively. He was right on all points. I couldn't believe my eyes how bad Hop played tonight. Some post above said he rimmed out a bunch; truth is he wasn't even close on most shots. Everybody in the starting lineup, and a few off the bench all played substantially better than BHop.

One final note, we are still an abysmal free throw shooting team, while OSU probably hit 90% or better (don't know the actual stats).

Pat Simpson had a nice game. Good for you Pat.
Diehard Pony
All-American

Previous

Return to Basketball